Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 49 of 49

Thread: Article: Cabrera vs. Trout: The MVP Debate for the Ages

  1. #41
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,137
    Like
    1,219
    Liked 1,172 Times in 686 Posts
    Will someone who knows how to look this up more quickly than I do please post how many hitters have led their league in Batting Average & Home Runs in the same season since 1967?

    To me the RBIs tend to go along with the other two stats -- and depend a lot on the quality of teammates but I just wondered if there are hitters in the last 45 years who missed the Triple Crown just because of RBIs?

  2. #42
    Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Posts
    2,745
    Like
    625
    Liked 378 Times in 211 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Will someone who knows how to look this up more quickly than I do please post how many hitters have led their league in Batting Average & Home Runs in the same season since 1967?
    zero

  3. #43
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,552
    Like
    2,573
    Liked 3,183 Times in 1,689 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    WAR, What is it good for?

    Absolutely nothing. Say it again, y'all.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Posts
    926
    Like
    40
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    WAR, What is it good for?

    Absolutely nothing. Say it again, y'all.
    Thorough, well thought, deeply intriguing, and underlined argument. Nice work.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

  5. #45
    Senior Member All-Star JB_Iowa's Avatar
    Posts
    3,137
    Like
    1,219
    Liked 1,172 Times in 686 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Will someone who knows how to look this up more quickly than I do please post how many hitters have led their league in Batting Average & Home Runs in the same season since 1967?
    zero
    Thanks. I know it's not definitive -- and not the only reason for thinking Miggy should be the MVP -- but it does look like that combination of high average and HR's has become somewhat magical.

  6. #46
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,552
    Like
    2,573
    Liked 3,183 Times in 1,689 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    I find being an obnoxious jackass to be much preferable over an objective "nerd."

    You've convinced me.
    POTD nominee
    I was going to post something similar then remembered the part about being banninated for slamming others on this board. Otherwise I would have won your coveted award.

  7. #47
    Twins Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Posts
    8,552
    Like
    2,573
    Liked 3,183 Times in 1,689 Posts
    Blog Entries
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    WAR, What is it good for?

    Absolutely nothing. Say it again, y'all.
    Thorough, well thought, deeply intriguing, and underlined argument. Nice work.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Abso...ain%2C+y%27all.

    In case that was needed.

  8. #48
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Posts
    926
    Like
    40
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ashburyjohn View Post
    WAR, What is it good for?

    Absolutely nothing. Say it again, y'all.
    Thorough, well thought, deeply intriguing, and underlined argument. Nice work.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Abso...ain%2C+y%27all.

    In case that was needed.
    Oh, I knew the reference quite well.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

  9. #49
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Posts
    926
    Like
    40
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    Will someone who knows how to look this up more quickly than I do please post how many hitters have led their league in Batting Average & Home Runs in the same season since 1967?
    zero
    Thanks. I know it's not definitive -- and not the only reason for thinking Miggy should be the MVP -- but it does look like that combination of high average and HR's has become somewhat magical.
    Not exactly. In the last 20 years, 27 times a player has led his league in either BA or HR and finished in the top 10 of the other stat:

    Matt Kemp 2011 - 3rd BA, 1st HR
    Miguel Cabrera 2011 - 1st BA, 10th HR
    Josh Hamilton 2010 - 1st BA, 5th HR
    Carlos Gonzalez 2010 - 1st BA, 4th HR
    Albert Pujols 2010 - 6th BA, 1st HR
    Albert Pujols 2009 - 3rd BA, 1st HR
    Magglio Ordonez 2007 - 1st BA, 7th HR
    Matt Holliday 2007 - 1st BA, 4th HR
    Ryan Howard 2006 - 9th BA, 1st HR
    Alex Rodriguez 2005 - 2nd BA, 1st HR
    Derrek Lee 2005 - 1st BA, 2nd HR
    Barry Bonds 2004 - 1st BA, 2nd HR
    Adrian Beltre 2004 - 4th BA, 1st HR
    Albert Pujols 2003 - 1st BA, 4th HR
    Barry Bonds 2002 - 1st BA, 4th HR
    Manny Ramirez 2002 - 1st BA, 9th HR
    Barry Bonds 2001 - 7th BA, 1st HR
    Alex Rodriguez 2001 - 7th BA, 1st HR
    Larry Walker 2001 - 1st BA, 9th HR
    Larry Walker 1999 - 1st BA, 10th HR
    Larry Walker 1997 - 2nd BA, 1st HR
    Frank Thomas 1997 - 1st BA, 7th HR
    Dante Bichette 1995 - 3rd BA, 1st HR
    Albert Belle 1995 - 8th BA, 1st HR
    Ken Griffey, Jr. 1994 - 9th BA, 1st HR
    Barry Bonds 1993 - 4th BA, 1st HR
    Gary Sheffield 1992 - 1st Ba, 3rd HR
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.