Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Keeper League Opinions

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries

Keeper League Opinions

Curious to see who you guys would select out of this bunch.

6 keepers for 2013 from this list.

Victor Martinez C
    Mike Napoli C
    Anthony Rizzo 1B
    Brett Lawrie 3B
    Pedro Alverez 3B
    Jurickson Profar SS
    Manny Machado SS-3B
    Josh Rutledge SS
    Adrian Gonzalez 1B-OF
    Allen Craig 1B-OF
    Ryan Braun OF
    Giancarlo Stanton OF
    Sterling Marte OF
    Gio Gonzale SP
    Madison Bumgarner SP
    Jordan Zimmerman SP
    Matt Harvey SP
    Zach Grienke SP
    Craig Kimbrel RP

Pick 6 to keep...

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Profar, Machado, Braun, Stanton, Gio.

Then, I'd probably lean toward Lawrie, just ahead of Bumgarner and Zimmerman?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Profar, Braun, Machado, Rizzo, Gio G., Bumgarner

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Keeper league, I wouldn't touch Profar or Machado. Rizzo is SNTS.

Braun, Stanton, Gio, Kimbrel, Greinke (if you can wait to see his 2013 team first, that'd be best), and then your choice of Zim or AGone depending on your feeling about what will be in the draft. If you feel stud pitching will be in the draft, I'd go with AGone. AGone will be a top 5 1B next year, and it's doubtful any of the rest of the top 5 will be left available.

If this were dynasty, then Machado, Profar, Rizzo, etc. would matter more, but keeping them next year is asking to be picking early in 2014's draft.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    It would depend on what round pick you would give up for each player selected.

Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    It would depend on what round pick you would give up for each player selected.
    Some leagues just have blanket keepers, no round assigned to them.

Blog Entries
    I have the entire off season to decide. Its a simple keeper league. The draft begins round Seven.

Prospects are not stashed away. You really can't afford to hold a prospect and wait for him to arrive in the majors but you will for the really special ones. All players kept need to be productive in 2013.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm in 2 keeper dynasty 12 team leagues. I would keep Napoli, Rizzo, Lawrie, A Gon, Braun & Stanton. Then draft pitching early.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    I'm in 2 keeper dynasty 12 team leagues. I would keep Napoli, Rizzo, Lawrie, A Gon, Braun & Stanton. Then draft pitching early.
    I would agree with that strategy except that you don't know what may be left for pitching. Others may have kept all other elite pitchers, and definitely Kimbrel and possibly Gio and Greinke qualify as elite, so you could end up having other teams loaded in pitching and now you're good, but not great offensively as I'm not sold on the production of Napoli, Rizzo, and Lawrie in 2013.

Blog Entries
    I'm just looking ahead... Season is over...

Personally... Braun and Stanton are no doubters. I'm also leaning toward Kimbrel... We have a save catagories and he is clearly the position elite. I'd hate to have him tossed back into the draft mix having the last pick of the first draft round.

The Other 3 are difficult decisions right now... l hope things clear up over the winter. Two guys I'm considering that haven't been mentioned yet are Martinez and Craig.

Martinez was hurt all year and I picked him up off waivers in April and held him on my DL all year. Catcher eligible and he will play nearly everyday as the DH. He's a plus .300 hitter... Nothing to sneeze at.

Craig... Was a hitting stud... 1B and OF eligible. A Gone would have been a slam dunk because of his added OF eligibility but he really struggled this year and now I'm thinking Craig might be the better Option.

Gio, Zimmerman, Bumgarner, Greinke and Matt Harvey look like strong pitching options... Matt Harvey was pretty damn good this year...

I think Lawrie could be a 30-30 guy... Not to mention the SS scarcity and the potential of Profar and Machado. Profar could be a guy you stash... Waste the roster spot... Take the hit and wait for his full time arrival. I just don't know about next year for him. Having a SS that can play is a huge plus because a lot of people have to scrape and go without at the SS position. There are not a lot of them.

I'm looking at my roster and I got some tough decisions. I'd love any opinions!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    With 6 keepers I would put about 90% of their value on next season. I also don't like the idea of keeping 1/2 pitchers (and one closer) but those are your best players.

Braun
    Stanton
    AGone
    Greinke
    Bum
    Kimbrel

Profar and machado might not even start next year and it wouldn't be a big surprise if they struggled. Zim doesn't k enough and I think he'll look more normal next season. Lawrie is really close to his potential imo and would probably be my pick of a young player. I would target Craig in the draft because he has been awesome when he's not injured.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 137 Times in 83 Posts
    Gio should be on my list. I think you need to trade a pitcher for a hitter because you have plenty.