Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Target Cody Ross?

Target Cody Ross?

I know that pitching is the #1 priority for the Twins this offseason, but a hitter that is very intriguing is Cody Ross. He reminds me a lot of Willingham. It is pretty obvious that TF plays to right hand power hitters' advantage. If Span or Revere is dealt, Ross could be a great RH power addition to the lineup. It would depend on his asking price obviously, but I think there is value to be had with Ross.
    I'll Denard your Span.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    He said he wants to play for a contender, that means the Twins would probably have to overpay to get him. Playing well in Boston is probably going to give him enough exposure to put his stock at market value as opposed to Willingham getting no press in woefull Oakland and being an afterthought for most teams, my bet is Ross isn't as overlooked as Willingham was last year.

If Willingham was dealt for pitching, going after Ross might make some sense, otherwise I think the free agent money needs to be spent on starting pitching and middle infield.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, but can't see any way that happens. They have too many internal options to fill an outfield spot, unless Josh Hamilton wants to sign for $5 million a year. I actually agree with your thinking, another RH power hitter would be great, but it would be an immense surprise for it to come by way of a FA outfielder.

We don't need more OF's. He's an average outfielder at best, a little better then Willingham out there and not as good of a hitter. Focus on pitching and use internal options in the outfield

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I feel like the word is out on Ross at this point. He should get a decent pay day from someone.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If he could play a decent defensive short stop or pitch while still swinging the bat like he does, I'd say heck yes.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Why sign an outfielder? Hicks and arcia are almost ready. They need middle infielders and starting pitching.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Ross is probably going to be outside the Twins' budget, as well. But I wouldn't necessarily rule out a guy just because he's an outfielder. Sure, the Twins have a number of OF prospects that appear just about ready to arrive, but what if it takes one or two of those guys to improve your starting pitching and/or middle infield? Just saying there could be a number of moving pieces as Ryan tries to make the improvements necessary and IF the outfield FA market turns out to be deep and he needs to trade young OFers to get pitching, I wouldn't rule that approach out already.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    Sure, if Ryan trades a legit prospect for a player, but what are the odds of that?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Can he pitch?

Owner Big-Leaguer Parker Hageman's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cody Ross, 2012

At Fenway: .308/.368/.595
    Everywhere else: .237/.306/.396

He's a monster because of the Monstah.
    @OverTheBaggy

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Boston would be stupid not to re-sign him.

If the Twins traded Willingham, Span, and Morneau, then a rational discussion about signing Cody Ross could take place.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    IIRC the BoSox extended him big time last month
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Ross is an average UZR LF/CF & an above average RF for his career.
    He is a killer vs LHP .295/.373/.636 in 132ABs this yr & .284/.353/.575 career.
    If he wants a contender, MN will have to wait him out...dont know if a contender will make him an everyday player as he didnt flourish in SF hitting vs RHP
    Not one that thinks MN has too many OF's as IF Morneau is traded & Parm goes to 1B....who play/starts the yr in RF??? Twins showed they dont think Arcia is ready by not calling him up in Sept. Could get ready to see Matt Carson as your RF for awhile.
    This is a poor hitting team outside of Mauer/Willingham (not sure if Willy takes a step back) & MN could use some more pop.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 181 Times in 102 Posts
    95% chance he ends up back in Boston, I like Ross but we shouldn't be handing out any multi year deals to OF. I'd however be interested in torii hunter on a one year deal if span/Willingham are traded.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It would be something to consider if we didn't have Josh Willingham and one of Morneau/Parmelee. Ross is a true rightfielder and thankfully he would play there unlike Josh. I really like Ross, but there's no chance he ends up here. None of our priorities and none of his priorities match.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    The Twins didn't call up Hicks/Arcia because of economics. It just doesn't make financially to call either up until June/July to gain an extra year of team control and avoid super two.

If Morneau is traded you still have Willy, span and Revere in the OF.

The Twins should not sign any OF'ers. They have starters. they have reserves. They have prospects ready to call up.

this offseason is all about getting a starting pitcher or two and signing a 2B/SS/3B. Revere is the only player in the rotation for C/1B/DH/RF/CF/LF that will put up a <.750 OPS. Meanwhile Plouffe is the only one at 2B/SS/3B that has a chance at that number. It's more likely that the MI doesn't even come close to .650 OPS unless the Twins bring someone in. So if you want to upgrade the offense concentrate there.

Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    The Twins didn't call up Hicks/Arcia because of economics. It just doesn't make financially to call either up until June/July to gain an extra year of team control and avoid super two.

If Morneau is traded you still have Willy, span and Revere in the OF.

The Twins should not sign any OF'ers. They have starters. they have reserves. They have prospects ready to call up.

this offseason is all about getting a starting pitcher or two and signing a 2B/SS/3B. Revere is the only player in the rotation for C/1B/DH/RF/CF/LF that will put up a <.750 OPS. Meanwhile Plouffe is the only one at 2B/SS/3B that has a chance at that number. It's more likely that the MI doesn't even come close to .650 OPS unless the Twins bring someone in. So if you want to upgrade the offense concentrate there.
    as much as anyone can argue this isnt true.....it is.
    MN is still running the organization as a small market club doin things like this. You'ld hope, as a fan, that this would be something the club woulda jettisoned.....but they didnt. You CAN run a team with a 100m payroll on the cheap

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If they trade an outfielder this offseason it would make a lot of sense to sign a free agent for one year and flip him at the deadline. If not, good luck finding any playing time.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by edavis0308 View Post
    Can he pitch?
    YES!!!! He once threw a no hitter for Carlsbad HS and also sports a career 1.00 whip in the majors!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast