Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mauer Article

Mauer Article

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/83...-espn-magazine

Great article about Mauer on ESPN

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 63 Times in 42 Posts
    Nice article.

When it's all said and done, I'm going to be very glad Mauer was a Twin his (hopefully) entire career. I'll be very happy when he goes in the HOF and fondly remember his MVP season, his tag on Gardner (and hopefully his world series game winning hit).

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Nice article.

When it's all said and done, I'm going to be very glad Mauer was a Twin his (hopefully) entire career. I'll be very happy when he goes in the HOF and fondly remember his MVP season, his tag on Gardner (and hopefully his world series game winning hit).
    Right on. Great article. It sounds like he's still just a regular guy who tries really hard. Why so angry (all the Mauer bashers)?

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 799 Times in 432 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For me, this is the quintessential Mauer play:

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

So awesome. I just don't understand the negativity that surrounds the guy.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great article. It does a good job illustrating the pure silliness of the venom directed at Mauer.

This is an odd one. Normally the national sports media is clueless about the Twins, but here the 4-letter mag offers a better take on Mauer than anything I've read from the local scribes (outside of this site of course!) in a while.

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post
    Great article. It does a good job illustrating the pure silliness of the venom directed at Mauer.

This is an odd one. Normally the national sports media is clueless about the Twins, but here the 4-letter mag offers a better take on Mauer than anything I've read from the local scribes (outside of this site of course!) in a while.
    Anti-Mauer venom is visceral, not logical. And, one can't use logic to rebut a position not arrived at by logic.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gee, it took a national scribe to capture the real Joe Mauer, even if only during the course of one day. How about a round of applause for LEN III, Joe C., Reusse, Souhan et al for dropping the ball, rolling it in the gutter, clanking the rim, throwing it in the dirt, etc... on doing this beforehand. Apparently Mauer has a sense of humor, is respected in the clubhouse, and, surprisingly, has a baseball mean streak.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 58 Times in 27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Nice article.

<cap off> Well said, sir. </cap off>

Also, he drives a 1969 Chevelle. How can you not like that?

(I mean, if it were a 1970 Charger, it would be better, but I'm not complaining...)

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Best article ever on Mauer. Not every athlete needs to be a primadona. We St. Paulites stick together and produce better MLB ballplayers than Minneapolis. Snap! What do you have to say about that? I need to run and get back to my dorm... don't want to break curfew.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post
    Best article ever on Mauer. Not every athlete needs to be a primadona. We St. Paulites stick together and produce better MLB ballplayers than Minneapolis. Snap! What do you have to say about that? I need to run and get back to my dorm... don't want to break curfew.
    I can't say as though I'm that familiar with St. Paul. I hardly ever get out to the Eastern suburbs.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    I can't say as though I'm that familiar with St. Paul. I hardly ever get out to the Eastern suburbs.
    HA! That's a good one. I'll have to tell my friends from the west side of the river so they can use it when I'm sarcastically pointing out that St. Paul is the capital.

Quote Originally Posted by CDog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    HA! That's a good one. I'll have to tell my friends from the west side of the river so they can use it when I'm sarcastically pointing out that St. Paul is the capital.
    So is Albany, New York. Same deal.
    Last edited by 70charger; 09-21-2012 at 12:54 AM. Reason: edited to add the smiley, so no one takes this too seriously...

The guy has been a great ball player. That is all there is to that.

That was a pleasurable read. I enjoyed the writer's perspective on Mauer.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfireman View Post
    Gee, it took a national scribe to capture the real Joe Mauer, even if only during the course of one day. How about a round of applause for LEN III, Joe C., Reusse, Souhan et al for dropping the ball, rolling it in the gutter, clanking the rim, throwing it in the dirt, etc... on doing this beforehand. Apparently Mauer has a sense of humor, is respected in the clubhouse, and, surprisingly, has a baseball mean streak.
    ---Well said. Souhan was particularly bad with his supposed anonymous sources who were rolling their eyes at the mere mention of Mauer's name and speculation that Mauer was suffering from depression.

And let's not forget Barreiro's constant harping on him on the radio. I stopped listening to him after his not-so-subtle digs at Mauer in the form of constant gushing over the year AJ is having.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 640 Times in 250 Posts
    Barreiro has been grinding his axe of irrationality against Mauer from day one. He's the media version of dankind.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member Double-A Lesser Dali's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We St. Paulites stick together and produce better MLB ballplayers than Minneapolis. Snap! What do you have to say about that?
    St. Paul also produces half way decent trailer parks, a small town night life, and questionable 1980's hairdos and facial hair styles. I think Poison and Motley Crue are all the rage in St. Paul right now.

You are right on the MLB Baseball player topic. It's hard to go wrong with Winfield, Morris, Molitor and Mauer.

While I am not a fan of Mauer's unaggressive approach to hitting, he is extremely good at what he does.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,279 Times in 765 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    For me, this is the quintessential Mauer play:

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

So awesome. I just don't understand the negativity that surrounds the guy.
    I like the little almost-grin just as he reaches around the net, then he puts his game face back on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast