Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article: Does A Deal With Scott Baker Make Sense?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Should Twins Sign Scott Baker Now?

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely they should try to do it.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,250 Times in 498 Posts
    I'm all for it.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I wondered the same thing when I read about Lewis' deal with the Rangers. Seems like the model for a possible Baker offer.

Here's my question, though... if Baker and his agent want exactly the same deal that Lewis got, without the 2014 option, do you sign him up for 2013 on the same terms?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Well, if he thinks he can compete with all the talent in spring training...

Ha ha, painful joke.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Non sense, Baker is shot.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 536 Times in 355 Posts
    Sure, at those prices, sure. But, he would need to be your fifth or sixth option. He cannot be counted on as a top 3 guy.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 311 Times in 151 Posts
    Chances are he won't do much until may-june. Not sure that helps us much. How many 30 yr old guys have come back and been good the first year?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    I don't know why Baker would want to sign with us with our medical staff causing him an 8 month delay in his recovery.

Timeline:
    July 5th 2011 - Scott Baker is shut down for 18 days to see if rest will help his elbow.
    August 8th 2011 - Scott Baker is shut down for 44 days to see if rest will help his elbow.
    September 24 2011 - Scott Baker is shut down for the offseason to see if an even longer rest will help his elbow.
    April 11 2012 - Scott Baker undergoes surgery for a tendon repair surgery with a 6 month timeframe that turns into Tommy John with a 12-18 month timeframe for recovery.

I understand that rest is frequently advised with injuries but I would think after the second time of 44 days didn't do anything that they might have explored surgery at the end of 2011 instead of at the beginning of the season. If I were Baker I would be pissed this team cost him a decent contract in 2013 because he lacked recovery time from his surgery. I would also be pissed because in the back of my mind I would think that maybe if I had the surgery and didn't stress the elbow so much with all these comebacks that maybe I would have only needed the tendon repair.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...elbow-surgery/

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
    I'm leaning toward signing him, but with the expectation that he probably won't pitch for the Twins until June... Look at how long it took Nathan to get back to normal... Every pitcher that has TJ is different, so it's a real gamble, and Baker has always been a bit inconsistent anyway... If they sign him for $1-2 million with incentives, it would certainly reduce the risk... If he works out great, if he doesn't, you don't lose much...

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't they have to wait till the offseason to decline his 2013 option on the existing deal? I don't think they can work out a deal right now.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    ... Matt Capps will begin facing batters this week. He could rejoin the Twins’ bullpen for their final series of the season

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Chances are he won't do much until may-june. Not sure that helps us much. How many 30 yr old guys have come back and been good the first year?
    Wainwright came back just fine this year, he's 30. Chris Carpenter came back and pitched well at age 29, but maybe it's a St. Louis thing.

I'm OK with bringing back Baker on a reasonable deal, but what happens to the perception of the front office if they do re-sign him or for that matter Pavano or Capps? Fans aren't going to see Scott Baker and think of him as an exciting new off-season acquisition, in fact most fans aren't going to think of him as an acquisition at all seeing as he's always been with the Twins and lately he's been a part of the terrible Twins. Of course when the front office tries to promote it's offseason signings, Baker WOULD be included when they sit down for an interview with Neal or Chirstianson come March to discuss how they upgraded the rotaion. In other words, what ever the Twins have planned as far as free agent money, don't bother trying to deduct the price of Baker from that budget because the fans wont be buying that Baker is new money spent.

Like I said, I'd re-sign Baker, but from a PR standpoint, the front office may be better off using that money on a new name to try to sell everyone that they are attemtping to head in a new direction.

30yr old pitchers arent put on pitch counts.....esp on a 1 or 2 yr deal
    With a late april/early may surgery....Baker should be throwing seriously by late Feb/early march.
    He easily could be ready for start of season as most pitchers on tj recovery are throwing fully by 1 full yr. Even if its May 1st...thats fine.
    He's better than ANY picher Terry Ryan will seriously look at.....go for it

Sure, Lewis got $2M and then can make up to $6M with # of appearances and time on the major league roster, so a similar deal would work. We paid Marquis $3M this year for nothing.

Liked 1,209 Times in 702 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    I wondered the same thing when I read about Lewis' deal with the Rangers. Seems like the model for a possible Baker offer.

Here's my question, though... if Baker and his agent want exactly the same deal that Lewis got, without the 2014 option, do you sign him up for 2013 on the same terms?
    I just don't see it working without the option. I think there's a huge question about when Baker might be ready to pitch next season. Given that it could be late summer before he's ready, there has to be some added incentive for the team. And that comes in the form of a 2014 option (that option could easily be in the $8 - $10 million range -- the team's control is actually more important than the exact amount as long as its not exorbitant).

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Baker will sign that same deal, the Twins should do it in a second.

Why would Baker sign an incentive laden deal now with Twins?? First they have $9 mill option that they have to formally decline. Wouldnt he then wait to see what other teams offer?? If Twins do it before free agency--they would probably have to guarantee at least $4 mill--cause Baker will otherwise say he will hope to get that much on market...

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm not saying NO, but I do have some issues on this. 1st. will he be ready by May 1st? 100%? Can he pitch 180 innings? Where is his velocity at in comparison? where is his control at? If he can't be ready until the middle of June, and his fast ball is sitting at 86 and his control isn't there. Then even a 2 million incentive base deal isn't a good one.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 619 Times in 344 Posts
    Offer Baker what Lewis got and run screaming for joy if he takes it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast