Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Why would one want a Mike Redmond type as manager

Senior Member Double-A Lesser Dali's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Why would one want a Mike Redmond type as manager

When the name Mike Redmond is mentioned as coaching candidate, it seems to infuriate a handful of TD participants. It is quite apparent who the Twins MLB coaching staff will be at the start of next season, unless their is major curve ball thrown our way (Gardenhire, Anderson, Ullger, Vavra, Brunansky, Glynn, Cueller). There is no spot for Redmond and I could not even begin to speculate where Redmond will manage or coach next season. Maybe the Red Sox will acquire John Farrell from the Bluejays and offer a coaching position to Redmond, maybe Redmond will retire from baseball and open a bowling alley in the Seattle area - who freekin' knows?

Let's say next season is Gardenhire's last as the Twins Manager, and the Twins are in hunt for a new manager next off season.

Am I going to want a longtime baseball guy like Gene Glynn - sort of maybe (Blah).

Will I want a Manager who has drifted around the big leagues for the a while like Jim Tracy - I'll pass.

Would I want to get on the phone and try to coax a Piniella or LaRussa type out of retirement with the offer of big time Pesos - No!

If I were to unleash the inner General Manager in me, I would want a younger Manager, who played in the Majors somewhat recently, who can relate to the modern baseball player and who has the tenacity and personality that naturally creates a steep level of respect from his players - To me Mike Redmond would have a great chance to fit that bill.

While traversing threads on this site, I have only come across one individual who has stumped for a Managerial Candidate like a Mike Matheny or a Robin Ventura (I am sure there are more, but I have only seen one).

If the Twins part ways with Ron Gardenhire next season. My hope is that the Twins follow the lead of the St. Louis Cardinals and Chicago White Sox and Hire this kind of manager, whether it be Mike Redmond or some other similar candidate.

It is the Way of the Future... the Way of the Future... the Way of the Future...the Way of the Future... the Way of the Future... etc, etc.....

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 311 Times in 151 Posts
    They should offer him the Red Wings job if Glynn is promoted!
    This comment brought to you from the Rosedale Mall studio by Hamm's Beer, brewed in the land of sky blue waters.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 380 Times in 212 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A 40-something saber nerd who had a long and mediocre playing career, is bilingual, and can articulate to the media something more than the same old cliche'd soundbites. Someone who has also put in a few hours as a manager or assistant coach in the high minors or above so he can hit the ground running. Someone who isn't under contract after 2013

Dave Martinez fits all of the above.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    They should offer him the Red Wings job if Glynn is promoted!
    I think that's a great idea. The one thing I think a guy like Redmond would bring that none of our coaches the last two years seemed to have in them, is a willingness and ability to give a really "fire them up" locker room talk and/or a "what the hell is wrong with you guys" kind of talk. We need some more freaking PASSION in our coaches.

I will say though, I seriously will be surprised if Ulger or Vavra are on the Major League coaching staff, unless they decide to add an extra coaching position or two. I can see them hanging around helping out in spring training, but I don't think we'll see them at Target Field next year.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Redmond would be a viable candidate for the Twins job. Does anyone else remember how much fire he played with when he actually got to play? The Twins could use some fire. Right now this team has no fire.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've brought him up before, but I'm going to register another vote for Ken Oberkfell. I've been intrigued by him as a possible Gardy replacement since reading this article earlier in the year:
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

____
    The locals refer to Oberkfell as "El Mago de los Leones," Spanish for "The Leones' magician" because of his mystifying success since taking over the club for the 2009-2010 season.

"Special" is one word to describe Oberkfell's run with Escogido. "Magic" is another.
    "Oberkfell is type of manager the players love playing for," Escogido president Luis Manuel Bonetti said. "He's the type of manager that lets them play. He doesn't put any restrictions, and really understands the culture that we have here." Oberkfell said Hall of Fame skipper Whitey Herzog, who managed him in St. Louis, is his biggest influence. He also credits Tigers manager Jim Leyland, who managed him in Pittsburgh, for helping him become the manager he is today.

___

-Track record of success, as described in this article plus he once won Minor League Manager of the Year
    -Obviously knows how to work well with players from different cultures
    -Coached with the Mets at the MLB level, so he's knows all about dealing with the media, which is a big part of a manager's job
    -Strikes me as a guy who is a nice mix of new school and old school baseball thought

Liked 217 Times in 94 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    A 40-something saber nerd who had a long and mediocre playing career, is bilingual, and can articulate to the media something more than the same old cliche'd soundbites. Someone who has also put in a few hours as a manager or assistant coach in the high minors or above so he can hit the ground running. Someone who isn't under contract after 2013

I'd be fine with Martinez or Redmond.

The bigger question is who takes over at Rochester. I really wouldn't advance anyone in the system. We know Jake Mauer is on a somewhat fast trak, but that may be pushing it too much.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosterman View Post
    The bigger question is who takes over at Rochester. I really wouldn't advance anyone in the system. We know Jake Mauer is on a somewhat fast trak, but that may be pushing it too much.
    I don't have any names, but the profile of the Rochester's next manager will probably be similar to Gene Glynn's.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post

I am in agreement with everything you have said except Martinez having a mediocre career. Dave Martinez's career was anything but mediocre. Mostly a 4th Outfielder type, who played 16 years, with 1,500+ hits - that's a super dream come true for most of the Tom, Dick and Harrys of the world. Dave Martinez definitely had his value as a player.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd be careful before saying X type of player = X type of manager. Fact of the matter is some become coaches, some become managers, some try and fail. I don't know if Redmond would work or not. I don't think he would be any worse then a Scotty Ulger but what do I know.

Is Joe Torre a great manager? Or did he just keep a very expensive team from going into the ditch? Same with Tito, same with every winning manager. They have all had bad years, they have all had bad spells. Belicek was fired at Cleveland. Showalter at NY, Texas and Arizona. Its just one of the things where certain people work well in certain spots. Many people said Ventura would never be able to manage because he didn't have the experience but I thought he did a good job for the White Sox.

Ultimately I think its not the manger, its the core of coaches and how they work with the manager, and then how they relate to the owner and general manager. When the Twins were winning, they had a deep farm system, solid coaching, and a GM who was 100% behind the wheel. Right now the system is dry, the coaching is who knows, and I still don't know if TR is 100% behind the wheel. But then again what do I know

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    If I were to unleash the inner General Manager in me, I would want a younger Manager, who played in the Majors somewhat recently, who can relate to the modern baseball player and who has the tenacity and personality that naturally creates a steep level of respect from his players - To me Mike Redmond would have a great chance to fit that bill.
    That's interesting. I'd like a manager that makes the correct personnel and strategic decisions to maximize the team's ability to score/prevent runs, rather than someone who "relates to the modern baseball player" and "played for the Twins so maybe he'll be willing to accept less money."

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If they plan on offering anyone of that sort a managing position, they need to let them manage this year in AA/AAA so they can get some experience. I don't need a 20th year manager but I don't want one with no managing experience either.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobs View Post
    That's interesting. I'd like a manager that makes the correct personnel and strategic decisions to maximize the team's ability to score/prevent runs, rather than someone who "relates to the modern baseball player" and "played for the Twins so maybe he'll be willing to accept less money."
    That's interesting. Strategy is still used by managers in MLB, but is overblown and overrated - sure, Joe Maddon might be one who fills your "strategy" desires. If you read my post to the end - I said "Mike Redmond or a similar candidate". That did not mean the "similar" candidate had to come from the the Twin Organization or be a former Twin. On the topic of money - why would I give a "Bleep"? I don't pay the salaries. For the amount of years Gardenhire has been at the helm, some would consider him underpaid. I have made my peace with the "Twins Way" and how they use their money - If one has not, they are in in a state of critical denial. I am steadfast in not wanting some Blue Hair taking the reigns of the Twins Managerial position - new and young blood is needed in the managerial/coaching ranks. If you are one that wants to adhere themselves to statues of past, and hold so closely to your buxom the thought of some crafty veteran manager coming in and changing things for the better - good luck to you!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That's interesting. Strategy is still used by managers in MLB, but is overblown and overrated
    I'm sorry, what? "Strategy" is not code for sacrifices and hit and runs, it is making decisions to put your players in position to succeed.

If you are one that wants to adhere themselves to statues of past, and hold so closely to your buxom the thought of some crafty veteran manager coming in and changing things for the better - good luck to you!
    Read books so you know what words mean.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobs View Post
    That's interesting. Strategy is still used by managers in MLB, but is overblown and overrated
    I'm sorry, what? "Strategy" is not code for sacrifices and hit and runs, it is making decisions to put your players in position to succeed.

If you are one that wants to adhere themselves to statues of past, and hold so closely to your buxom the thought of some crafty veteran manager coming in and changing things for the better - good luck to you!
    Read books so you know what words mean.
    I am thinking this exchange of words between us was like a first date - not only did we hold hands, I believe we did some open mouth kissing. I cannot wait till our next exchange - what will that bring? Meow!