Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 75

Thread: Minnesotans want Ron Gardenhire to keep his job

  1. #21
    Member Rookie
    Posts
    43
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Thegrin View Post
    Of course I would oppose the firing of Ron Gardenhire. If you watch the games, how often do you question his decisions ? Rarely, I'd bet. (Now that Grey is gone.) Vavre and Anderson are excellent coaches. What makes you think that a new voice would improve anything. Change for change sake is rarely a good idea.
    How about pinch running with two outs and a runner on first in the 7th and 8th inning so then when the game goes to extra innings we have Alexi Casilla hitting instead of Josh Willingham or Justin Morneau?

    Or perhaps bringing in Matt Guerrier in to face Alex Rodriguez with the bases loaded? ( A-Rod is something like 8-11 for 6 homers against him). No manager is perfect obviously but I would not really say Gardy is a strategic genius. He has had some puzzlers from time to time. These are just the few off the top of my head that kinda irk me

  2. #22
    Twins Moderator MVP USAFChief's Avatar
    Posts
    6,483
    Like
    3,481
    Liked 2,997 Times in 1,272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Iowegian View Post
    Be careful what you wish for. Your solution might be even worse.
    If a change is needed, you make it. Not making a needed change guarantees failure. There is no sense in worrying the change might be worse than the current situation, since by it's very nature the current situation has by definition been determined to be a failure. Otherwise, you wouldn't need to make a change.

  3. #23
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,132
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    34
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    According to a recent poll conducted by Public Policy Polling (h/t Fox9's Seth Kaplan), only 9% of Minnesotans would like to see manager Ron Gardenhire fired. In spite of his 122-182 record over the past two season a vast majority of those interviewed (57%) believed he should keep his job while another 34% had no opinion on the matter.

    Had you been polled, how would you have responded?
    No chance in hey to been polled, because of the (false) assumption that only people who live in MN are Twins' fans (and my position on how I feel about Gardy and his buddies is not a secret)...

    But what really gets me and I think it is ridiculous is that the same fan/media base who drove Childress out of Minnesota wants to keep Gardy despite the fact (yes it is a fact, look it up ) that Childress' teams as a whole were more successful that Gardy's teams...

    just sayin'

    politics (and some lutefisk lefse tacos and tire commercials)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  4. #24
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    590
    Like
    1
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    But what really gets me and I think it is ridiculous is that the same fan/media base who drove Childress out of Minnesota wants to keep Gardy despite the fact (yes it is a fact, look it up ) that Childress' teams as a whole were more successful that Gardy's teams...

    ---I looked it up. 5 seasons. 39-35 overall record. 2 playoff appearances. 1-2 playoff record.

    Sorry, not seeing the basis for the claim that it is a fact that these teams were "as a whole were more successful that Gardy's teams...".


  5. #25
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    856
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    But what really gets me and I think it is ridiculous is that the same fan/media base who drove Childress out of Minnesota wants to keep Gardy despite the fact (yes it is a fact, look it up ) that Childress' teams as a whole were more successful that Gardy's teams...

    ---I looked it up. 5 seasons. 39-35 overall record. 2 playoff appearances. 1-2 playoff record.

    Sorry, not seeing the basis for the claim that it is a fact that these teams were "as a whole were more successful that Gardy's teams...".

    Were you expecting anything else when you consider the source?

  6. #26
    Senior Member Double-A
    Posts
    120
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No manager can magically transform his players in to something better than what they can be. Gardy can't make 5 AAA pitchers into a major league staff

  7. #27
    Gardy should stick around a few more years and do what TK did; leave when it looks like things are on the right track again.

    This team will be decent next year, at least to the point where they won't be out of things in July. .500-ish with a look at that last WC is approachable.

  8. #28
    Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Posts
    574
    Like
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    427
    North Dakotans want him to keep his job as well.

  9. #29
    How do you judge a manager? The Twins win when the players play well and they win less often when the players play poorly. The manager doesn't pull some magical strings to make the players better. Gardy does some things that drive me nuts. But I'd bet 29 other fan bases say the same about their manager. I don't know if Gardy should stay or go. Mostly because I don't think the manager has a whole lot of impact on the team.

  10. #30
    Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Posts
    1,256
    Like
    77
    Liked 308 Times in 150 Posts
    If the answer is the manager is only as good as the players then what good is a manager anyway? Isn't it his responsibility to make them better and put them in positions to succeed? Can anyone really say after the last 2 years that is the case? Division titles in the weak central make some happy but no playoff wins since 2004 says much more, imo.

  11. #31
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,617
    Like
    1,117
    Liked 530 Times in 351 Posts
    Agree, if the manager is only good when the players are good, why pay one this much money? Why even have one?

  12. #32
    Twins Moderator MVP Riverbrian's Avatar
    Posts
    8,662
    Like
    4,695
    Liked 2,183 Times in 1,235 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Christie View Post
    North Dakotans want him to keep his job as well.
    lol... Not all North Dakotans... I think a change may be decent thing to try. BUT... BUT... BUT... I want Gardy to be respected!!!

    Gardy has earned it. If you want to use the playoff record against him. I would say that in fairness you also have to consider the fact that he HAS A PLAYOFF RECORD. Some Managers don't have that. He has won Division Titles and quite a few of them and it's a shame that some want to diminish that fact with arguments of weak division. The Twins have never produced a Yankee lineup ever and they got the job done. Once you hit the playoffs anything can happen.

    Gardy has done a great job. He makes moves that I disagree with at times and some people disagree with me and others disagree with those people. It's unfair to judge him based on your view of the world and I try not to judge him based on mine. You can't please everybody but you also can't deny those titles.

    The Twins have outperformed the White Sox, Tigers, Indians and Royals when you look at division titles during his tenure.

    I'm a North Dakotan who thinks it is time for a change and a North Dakotan who will shake his hand and say thanks for everything.

    Although... If he returns next year... OK... Let's go get em... I'll sleep fine.

  13. #33
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    time for jimmy p to stop drinking the kool-aid and clean house ...terry ryan, mike radke , david st pete, ron gardenhire and his @ss clown posse to find a new place to work or retire.....

  14. #34
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    i never heard of this polling company, its probally made up because jimmy p doesnt want to pay 2 managers.....skinflint ownership....

  15. #35
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpantheMan View Post
    No manager can magically transform his players in to something better than what they can be. Gardy can't make 5 AAA pitchers into a major league staff
    gardy cant make a turd after 5 trips through the buffet line at golden corral.....gardy is not a big leaque manager, he was a good coach, just not a good manager....time to vote him off the island

  16. #36
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Christie View Post
    North Dakotans want him to keep his job as well.
    not.......90% of north dakotians who follow the twins want gardy fired

  17. #37
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UCLA_YANKEE_COLA View Post
    How do you judge a manager? The Twins win when the players play well and they win less often when the players play poorly. The manager doesn't pull some magical strings to make the players better. Gardy does some things that drive me nuts. But I'd bet 29 other fan bases say the same about their manager. I don't know if Gardy should stay or go. Mostly because I don't think the manager has a whole lot of impact on the team.
    it is apperent you do not know.....you judge a manager on results....there are more questions now then in march.young players come up and struggle , they do not learn anything up here ,because gardy and staff can not teach....hence gardy is not a manager

  18. #38
    Banned All-Star
    Posts
    1,498
    Like
    419
    Liked 75 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    If the answer is the manager is only as good as the players then what good is a manager anyway? Isn't it his responsibility to make them better and put them in positions to succeed? Can anyone really say after the last 2 years that is the case? Division titles in the weak central make some happy but no playoff wins since 2004 says much more, imo.
    amen

  19. #39
    Senior Member Triple-A
    Posts
    271
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpantheMan View Post
    No manager can magically transform his players in to something better than what they can be. Gardy can't make 5 AAA pitchers into a major league staff
    Could anyone have made this pitching staff respectable this year??

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
    Gardy should stick around a few more years and do what TK did; leave when it looks like things are on the right track again.

    This team will be decent next year, at least to the point where they won't be out of things in July. .500-ish with a look at that last WC is approachable.
    TK managed about 8 years of truly miserable teams. He was a well respected manager as is Gardenhire. I don't think you make a change just because of bad years. Not unless you start to see players not hustling or players acting out.

  20. #40
    Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Posts
    1,080
    Like
    132
    Liked 168 Times in 79 Posts
    johnnydakota: 6 posts in a row, 0 useful information.

    Congrats.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.