Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: More on Twins prospects

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 120 Posts

More on Twins prospects

Because these threads are always fun. Bradley Ankrom at baseballprospectus was asked "Rate the top Twins prospects in order - Sano, Buxton, Hicks, Arcia, Rosario? Bradley Ankrom: I like that order for the most part. I'd flip Arcia and Hicks -- Sano, Buxton, Arcia, Hicks... with Max Kepler close behind. God, I love Max Kepler."

Really nice to see Kepler getting some prospect love. Last week, the fangraphs guy put Kepler ahead of Bubba Starling.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Kepler is immensely talented, no question, and for me, he'll be in the top ten. He's already back in Europe, playing in the European Cup for Germany. Several Twins prospects/minor leaguers are there including:

Germany - Kepler and Markus Solbach
    Italy - Chris Colabello
    Netherlands - Tom Stuifbergen, Shairon Martis

Feel like I'm missing one or two.

With the crazy numbers that Rosario put up last year and Arcia the year before, it is overlook Kepler's really good year. His 925 ops was 2nd in the league (Jorge Polanco was third!) and his .539 slugging percentage was tops. He is one I will be interested in next year at Beloit.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Looking forward to seeing Kepler advance. If not for him, I would move Sano to first and hope he flies to the majors....but Kepler has a chance to be good.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 15 Posts
    I think the injury might be causing people to overlook Rosario a little (or perhaps the other 4 are that good). If he can legitimately stay at 2B he is a potential beast. Since that is uncertain I am comfortable with him being at #5.

I really like Arcia but I still have him after Hicks. I think he is going to be a solid corner OF and a decently high floor. I am betting on Hicks developing into a defensive stud in CF that gets on base and has really good speed. Also, everything I have heard from Twins officials seems to be talking up Hicks more than Arcia. I know Hicks is older, but I will stick with the up the middle athleticism.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 120 Posts
    In today's ask BA, Buxton was put in the top 10 minor league prospects by Jim Callis. Caveat was that he couldn't consider players that were called up to the majors, like Profar.

"There aren't 10 guys who feel like they should be overall Top 10 prospects in the minors right now. Nevertheless, I compiled the list below:
    1. Dylan Bundy, rhp, Orioles
    If I ran the Orioles, he'd be up for the pennant drive.
    2. Wil Myers, of, Royals
    Kansas City continues to find hitters, search for pitchers.
    3. Oscar Taveras, of, Cardinals
    The favorite for 2013 Minor League Player of the Year.
    4. Trevor Bauer, rhp, Diamondbacks
    I stubbornly cling to the notion he's the best college pitcher from the 2011 draft.
    5. Gerrit Cole, rhp, Pirates
    Showed better control than his former UCLA teammate Bauer in his pro debut.
    6. Francisco Lindor, ss, Indians
    A definite shortstop with more offensive upside than expected.
    7. Jose Fernandez, rhp, Marlins
    Wouldn't last close to 14 picks again if the 2011 draft was held again today.
    8. Zack Wheeler, rhp, Mets
    Started to take off last year when the Giants let him use his high school delivery.
    9. Byron Buxton, of, Twins
    The top prospect in the 2012 draft has lofty ceiling, needs time to develop.
    10. Travis d'Arnaud, c, Blue Jays
    Edges Mike Zunino (Mariners) for title of best catching prospect in the minors."

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post
    I think the injury might be causing people to overlook Rosario a little (or perhaps the other 4 are that good). If he can legitimately stay at 2B he is a potential beast. Since that is uncertain I am comfortable with him being at #5.

I really like Arcia but I still have him after Hicks. I think he is going to be a solid corner OF and a decently high floor. I am betting on Hicks developing into a defensive stud in CF that gets on base and has really good speed. Also, everything I have heard from Twins officials seems to be talking up Hicks more than Arcia. I know Hicks is older, but I will stick with the up the middle athleticism.
    Down the road it might be best if Benson is the CF and Hicks is the RF (Arcia as DH or move to LF). JB has to come back and play very well though.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drjim View Post

Rosario....agreed. Last year he hit 20+ homers, this year he was on pace for nearly the same. His stats otherwise look great and he is 170lbs and very young. What will 2 years and 20 lbs of growth/muscle do to him? I hope he can stay at second base because the Twins may have something very special.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    This front office better have a solid game plan concerning the outfield prospects very soon. Surely Hicks, Arcia, Buxton and Kepler are all going to get their chance, throw in Benson and include Revere and we've got a logjam. If this front office lets every one of these guys get significant playing time at the majors just to find out which ones will pan out and which ones don't, I'm going to be pretty upset. They have the advantage over the other clubs in evaluating these guys, they need to take their best educated guess on who's the future and who's expendable and not let the expendables get enough MLB playing time to flame out and lose their trade value.

The Rays took Matt Garza off of the Twins when they decided Delmon Young was productive enough to get a great return but still expendable. The Twins need to soon identify their outfielders similarly so they too can get a Garza-like exchange when the logjam hits. I don't want to see three of these guys turn into pumpkins while the Twins are left holding the bag.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Kepler is your future first baseman, if Sano is not. But I agree with your general premise.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    Kepler at first? I thought he was an athletic toolsy kid?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Kepler at first? I thought he was an athletic toolsy kid?
    Mike's saying that only because the Twins have so many OF'ers. Personally I think it's silly to call someone like Kepler a 1Bman since it's hard to really know what your needs will be 3+ yrs from now. The Twins could have a couple of OF prospects bust and find one good 1Bman (within the system (Sano) or outside of the system). It doesn't hurt to have Kepler work at 1B some though.

Don't forget Vargas out of Beloit. He is rather slow over thee but I think he is the next Big Papi.

Vargas is a better hitter than Leachman in Beloit but Leachman played 1B and did well. Hits for average and not power. Vargas hits for POWER!