Thread: Sickels: Prospect Retrospective, Brad Radke

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sickels: Prospect Retrospective, Brad Radke

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
    Nice!! It's easy to forget just how valuable Radke was.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Yeah, that was a nice little read and a reminder that we need better pitchers, not necessarily strike out guys.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 384 Times in 214 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    Yeah, that was a nice little read and a reminder that we need better pitchers, not necessarily strike out guys.
    This is the outsized legacy Radke has had on the organization.

Radke's mechanics were very sound. The picture in OP's article shows why his elbow never broke down, and his command was impeccable. It is all mechanics.

If you put 3 inches and 50 pounds onto Radke's frame, you have Justin Verlander. The delivery is almost identical.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    This is the outsized legacy Radke has had on the organization.

Radke's mechanics were very sound. The picture in OP's article shows why his elbow never broke down, and his command was impeccable. It is all mechanics.

If you put 3 inches and 50 pounds onto Radke's frame, you have Justin Verlander. The delivery is almost identical.
    Naw, Radke's delivery wasn't that much like Verlander's. Pitching mechanics is difficult to analyze because it's tough to see the exact combination of movements that result in maximum efficiency and minimum arm damage. Radke did have a nice, smooth pitching motion, but he didn't have quite the same kind of leg drive or snap that Verlander has, which actually looks more like a slightly toned down Tim Lincecum.

As far as longevity is concerned, my favorite pitcher is Walter Johnson. His high sidearm whip motion put almost no stress on his rotator cuff, elbow or back, while his long control moment, where his palm travelled towards the target, gave him pinpoint control. I honestly don't know why coaches keep teaching overhand or 3/4s overhand as standard form. Too many injuries. Kids should relax and throw like skimming stones. It's aa lot easier on the arm.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 507 Times in 198 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    As far as longevity is concerned, my favorite pitcher is Walter Johnson. His high sidearm whip motion put almost no stress on his rotator cuff, elbow or back, while his long control moment, where his palm travelled towards the target, gave him pinpoint control. I honestly don't know why coaches keep teaching overhand or 3/4s overhand as standard form. Too many injuries. Kids should relax and throw like skimming stones. It's aa lot easier on the arm.
    Are you the last surviving World War I Veteran?

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 214 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo92107 View Post
    Baseball had a lot of tough guys before they started pampering pitchers with that weak Tommy John surgery.

If Big Train had a torn elbow ligament he would have gnawed his own arm off and learned to pitch with the other hand.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 820 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll always remember what Radke did in 2006 for the Twins... The guy had to brush his teeth with his non-throwing hand and coudln't pick up his kids, yet he gutted it out and pitched impressively down the stretch...

Thanks for the memories Brad.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 72 Times in 43 Posts
    He also has the legacy of having every pitcher with good control and minimal fastball get compared favorably to him.
    Papers...business papers.