Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mackey: Twins lineup doing well without Span

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    Souhan is an idiot. I don't know why you would quote him considering that station is not listenable. If you listened to KFAN, or just PA, that is the real news. The other guys in town are just idiots. And they don't talk sports most of the time. I hate turning on a radio station and hearing talk about the Law or talk about pop culture. Why can't we just talk about the twins all day long, throw in some vikings, throw in ALOT of Lynx talk, sprinkle in some Rubio. Boom you've got a full show. Instead we have top 10 lists related to stupid things people do. Get on another station. Minnesota radio is the WORST...except for PA
    Jim Souhan probably started the (Twins angry at Span talk) That is why I cited him.
    Last edited by Highabove; 09-10-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,520 Times in 794 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The rules of TD clearly state that no personal insults are to be leveled at Twins players, the front office, or journalists. There are multiple instances of it in this thread. The next ones to do it will be facing a 3 day ban.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TK10 View Post
    PA is, by a mile, the most vile and vomit-inducing cretin to ever be given control of the airwaves. He's an empty-headed jock-sniffer of the highest order.
    Yikes, tell me how you really feel. I am going to have to disagree. I think he is funny, savy, and smart in his sports takes. He always keeps things in perspective is always positive. His speaking manurisms are hilarious. 50 shades of PA? Are you serious, I laugh my bum off when I hear that stuff. The guys at 1500, and the afternoon guys on KFAN, just not that good. I am a big non fan of common. If you said this poop tastes bad, he would say this poop taste good. He is a poor man's Colin Cowherd. Guerro is a little more stomachable, but not much. And 1500, Ruesse, has such a winey, icky voice. I just can't listen. I do rarely, like when my choice is death or 1500, I pick 1500 because my life is worth living and the show is better than death, barely.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    I apologize for calling 1500 idiots. They clearly are not, they are getting paid to do what we do all day, they live the life. I apologize for calling them idiots.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,520 Times in 794 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    I apologize for calling 1500 idiots. They clearly are not, they are getting paid to do what we do all day, they live the life. I apologize for calling them idiots.
    Don't worry about it too much, just try to tone it down in future posts. It's a fine line to cross but we try to make sure that public personalities don't have too many insults leveled at this in this forum. I know I've been guilty of it in the past so it's something I have to work on as well.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    given that Willingham is their largest free agent contract ever, and Ryan has said the free agent pitching market is thin, why would you expect them to sign two big time free agent pitchers? Has any team ever done that in one off season?
    Of course Ryan never actually said that.... The Twin's also have never been in the position their in now. Money to spend, no long term contracts in the pitching staff, terrible rotation. Now maybe Ryan signs some decent starters and maybe he doesn't but you can't criticize him for things he didn't actually say and hasn't actually done.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 340 Times in 216 Posts
    PA may be a jock sniffer, but his brown nosing ways get the players to open up to him. You'd learn more about Span and his attitudes toward the club and trade situations listening to him and PA's show once weekly than you'll learn from Souhan's 2nd or 3rd hand gossip.

Someone above mentioned that Hick's is actually Span's eventual replacement, thus we should not be compraing the merits of Revere's defense over Span's. I think it goes further than that, as offensively Hicks also may be a more projectable replacement. He is a very strong OBP guy, as Span was during his best years. If Hicks' AA numbers translate at all to the MLB level, I would think his high OBP would cause the manager to put him ahead of Revere in the lineup.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    According to an article written by souhan he said that. Has any MLB team signed their top two pitchers in one free agent year, ever?

Senior Member MVP
    Maybe I should just stop, we have last year, and years prior to show his philosophy. I see no evidence it has changed. Why should I think it has changed in your opinion?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    According to an article written by souhan he said that. Has any MLB team signed their top two pitchers in one free agent year, ever?
    Actually, according to Souhan, Ryan said the "Elite FA Pitching Market is thin"

Senior Member MVP
    Ah, sorry, I forgot that word was in there. Has any MLB team ever signed their top 2 pitchers, and had them been good enough to take them anyplace meaningful, in one offseason?
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    Yeah. I would have to agree with Ryan. Actually non-existent. So you got to trade Span (and Morneau and maybe prospects) to fix the rotation. And unless the rotation is fixed the Twins will not content so they will be wasting Morneau's last season and Span's high value.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetOne69 View Post
    Yeah. I would have to agree with Ryan. Actually non-existent. So you got to trade Span (and Morneau and maybe prospects) to fix the rotation. And unless the rotation is fixed the Twins will not content so they will be wasting Morneau's last season and Span's high value.
    You're not going to fix the rotation by trading Morneau and Span. neither of these players have significant trade value because of the injuries they have had the past couple of seasons. The only thing you gain with trading these two now is the ability to later complain that they sold low.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    PA may be a jock sniffer, but his brown nosing ways get the players to open up to him. You'd learn more about Span and his attitudes toward the club and trade situations listening to him and PA's show once weekly than you'll learn from Souhan's 2nd or 3rd hand gossip.

Someone above mentioned that Hick's is actually Span's eventual replacement, thus we should not be compraing the merits of Revere's defense over Span's. I think it goes further than that, as offensively Hicks also may be a more projectable replacement. He is a very strong OBP guy, as Span was during his best years. If Hicks' AA numbers translate at all to the MLB level, I would think his high OBP would cause the manager to put him ahead of Revere in the lineup.
    Boom. This is exactly correct. Hicks is Span's replacement (and upgrade *crosses fingers*).

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ah, sorry, I forgot that word was in there. Has any MLB team ever signed their top 2 pitchers, and had them been good enough to take them anyplace meaningful, in one offseason?
    Point taken. I am going to hope that it happened with Schilling and RJ. What did the Phillies do with regard to Oswalt and Lee? The first would satisfy both conditions . . . if true. The second weren't THE top, more like the 2 and the 4 and of course they didn't win.

I am not saying that they even need a 1 and a 2, but more like a 1 and a 3 or 4. I do believe that there may be some arbitration-year guys with good seasons that could be swapped with Morneau and each side throwing in some other minor pieces, if the Twins don't sign two pitchers.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    After ColbyLewis had TJ and McCarthy nearly died the FA market is down to 4 total pitchers (I think) that I would consider #1-3 MLB starters. Greinke, Marcum, Sanchez and Jackson. I would consider it very difficult to sign half of the good starters in the market in one offseason considering that nearly every team needs pitching.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    Maybe I should just stop, we have last year, and years prior to show his philosophy. I see no evidence it has changed. Why should I think it has changed in your opinion?
    I'm not claiming Ryan's opinion has changed. I am claiming that the circumstances have changed. Right now there is a combination of factors TR has never had to face in his career as GM. He has quite a bit of money available (or could with a trade), he has virtually no contracts for his pitching staff, he has a staff that has been terrible, and he has little help coming from the minors in the next 3 years or so.

Given these circumstances there is at least some reason to think he might sign a decent FA pitcher. At a minimum there is enough uncertainty to forgo drawing any firm conclusions on what Ryan will or will not do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12