Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Justin Morneau Reminds Twins Fans That He's Still Here

Liked 111 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Justin Morneau Reminds Twins Fans That He's Still Here

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I am one of the fans who wants to see Morneau stick around for awhile with the Twins.

Note to the players:
    Don't him on the head after a walk-off HR!

Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
    Justin had a great game today. He looks to be back to form, which is great. I would love to see him stick around, but I understand if they were to trade him for some decent pitching in the off season. There is going to be a crowded outfield next season if Parmelee keeps up his production as well. Tough choices are ahead for the Twins FO.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

Justin is still a good player but he's not longer a great player. With his health issues, there is no way MN should give him an extension. So what is the upside to keeping him next yr since you wont contend?? Only reason NOT to deal him is because you cannot get a legit deal for him.
    Unfortuanately, Ryan doesnt see it that way & will keep him/let him finish the season & walk away with MN possibly getting a draft pick or Justin acceptin a 1yr arb deal.

yeah, we need to trade him for pitching, it will also free up cap space to sign a legitimate starter as well. Mauer is finishing the year strong too

I hope "the Big Canadian" stays too. Find some other way to add pitchers. Morneau is good for the community and good for the team. Guys like that should be entitled to finish their career with the original team/city if they choose.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They keep showing that the bats are enough to at least win the central division.

But Ryan keeps bad mouthing the line up because he wants to continue to lower expectations so he doesn't have to justify not spending any money this offseason.

But in my opinion they are two quality starting pitchers away from contention.

How has Ryan bad mouthed the lineup?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clutterheart View Post
    They keep showing that the bats are enough to at least win the central division.

But Ryan keeps bad mouthing the line up because he wants to continue to lower expectations so he doesn't have to justify not spending any money this offseason.

But in my opinion they are two quality starting pitchers away from contention.
    I agree they are at least 2 quality starters away. That being said, the clubs that need first base help are the clubs without big budgets, Parmalee and Span will have more value to bring pitching from those clubs. With some of the big spending clubs needing pitching, I expect the price on reasonable starting pitching to be out of site, therefore a trade is the only option.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Piching is over rated, we don't need anymoe pitchers.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Morneau is capable of having a 30 HR, 100 RBI season in 2013. Keep him.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    TRADE HIM. Do it while he's hot so we can maximize his value. Get pitching and never look back.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    TRADE HIM. Do it while he's hot so we can maximize his value. Get pitching and never look back.
    His value is still incredibly low. There is little point in trading him right now. No team is going to give up much of anything for a recovering first baseman who is owed $14m in 2013.

Morneau will have a good year in 2013 no matter where he is. It looks like his injury issues are behind him and, when healthy, Morneau is as good as any 1B in the league. The Twins are lucky to have him.

I think the Twins have a lineup to build around (it'd also be nice to add a SS) and I hope they decide to make a run at some legitimate starting pitching via free agency and try to contend in 2013. With Pavano, Baker, Liriano, Capps, Zumaya, and Marquis not on the payroll, that should free up around $25 million. And, in my dreams, I think back to the payroll of 2011 where the Twins would have $41 million to spend afer 2012.

Also, looking at costs down the road, it doesn't look like anyone other than middle relievers are reaching arbitration anytime soon and after 2013, Blackburn, Nishi, and Carroll's $12 million come off the books.

It seems the only way to get good starting pitching is to either develop it (hard for the Twins lately) or pay for it. I think it would be a better investment for the Twins to spend the cash rather than the prospects.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    Keep Morneau around for now, Span is going to get you a better package at this point anyways.
    If the Twins compete in 2013, then roll with Morneau, if they fall out of it you can easily trade him at the deadline and probably get a much better package then currently.

A lineup of
    Revere
    Mauer
    Willingham
    Morneau
    Doumit
    Parmele
    Plouffe
    who cares
    who cares

Would be pretty damn nice.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    OK, I am officially no longer in favor of platooning Morneau with Valencia.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    Willingham will probably get you a better package than Morneau and Span combined. If I was trading someone that's who it would be. I do not trust his health at all.

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Or the Twins organization could act like "Big Boys" and keep an improving Morneau as well as spend some money on pitching and instantly be in the Central Division conversation next year. I'm not talking about other team "ace" type pitchers, I mean sign two quality starters and go from there, $10-$12M a piece guys.

Liked 347 Times in 197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    His value is still incredibly low. There is little point in trading him right now. No team is going to give up much of anything for a recovering first baseman who is owed $14m in 2013.
    And that's the real dilemma. I keep reading people saying "Keep Him" and "Extend HIm" but if other GMs were as confident as some of the posters that his health issues are behind him, his trade value wouldn't be so low (even taking into account the $14 million for 2013.)

I don't think that they have much choice but to keep him. And say daily (or more frequent) prayers that he doesn't get hurt again. After the last 3 years, I'm happy to think that he is giving the team value again (yes I know there were periods in there where he gave good value but this has been a long haul -- starting in August 2009). I'm just continuing to hold my breath hoping that he stays healthy.

Super Moderator MVP ashburyjohn's Avatar
    Liked 1,249 Times in 749 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Piching is over rated, we don't need anymoe pitchers.
    Butera and Slama take care of the 2013 rotation needs, IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast