Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brendon Ayanbadejo tackles the subject of gay marriage

The fact that the black vote heavily favors bans on gay marriage saddens me to no end. It's so hypocritical that I sit there in stunned silence every time I see an example of it. I don't know how to describe it beyond that.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by havelock1976 View Post
    The fact that the black vote heavily favors bans on gay marriage saddens me to no end. It's so hypocritical that I sit there in stunned silence every time I see an example of it. I don't know how to describe it beyond that.
    It's the Church. A guess, but I'm sure Latino's overwhelmingly disfavor gay marriage as well. I think it's pretty tried-and-true result of oppression--the best way to stop being the Other is to identify and rally against another Other.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 09-13-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 113 Times in 81 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by havelock1976 View Post
    It's the Church. A guess, but I'm sure Latino's overwhelmingly disfavor gay marriage as well. I think it's pretty tried-and-true result of oppression--the best way to stop being the Other is to identify and rally against another Other.
    Spot on, unfortunately. Great assessment. Anti-gay attitudes are almost exclusively the result of Christian nonsense about sin. It's Christian, but it isn't Christ-ian (love thy neighbor). It's damn weird.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,841 Times in 1,075 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by freshinthehouse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbeer View Post
    My big problem is this is Kluwe, and his complete lack of the ability to make a point without being an idiot and offending people.
    The irony here is astounding.
    hahahaha

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,521 Times in 795 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Oh, I know the reasoning. That still doesn't make it right and it still shows a complete lack of sympathy for their fellow man (along with a healthy dose of ignoring recent history). Minorities should be the first ones in line to support gay marriage based on their own ancestors' struggles gaining equality in this country.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    Spot on, unfortunately. Great assessment. Anti-gay attitudes are almost exclusively the result of Christian nonsense about sin. It's Christian, but it isn't Christ-ian (love thy neighbor). It's damn weird.
    The religious extremists have certainly taken hold of the anti-homosexual platform in this country, but worldwide it is punishable by death in a number of non-Christian African countries to be caught in a homosexual act. Most Islamic countries have severe punishments for homosexuality, up to and including death. I'm not saying any are right by any means, but to explain this exclusively as a Christian issue is ignoring the issue on a larger, world-wide scale.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane Wahl View Post
    The religious extremists have certainly taken hold of the anti-homosexual platform in this country, but worldwide it is punishable by death in a number of non-Christian African countries to be caught in a homosexual act. Most Islamic countries have severe punishments for homosexuality, up to and including death. I'm not saying any are right by any means, but to explain this exclusively as a Christian issue is ignoring the issue on a larger, world-wide scale.
    Of course, the context of our national problem has to do with our largely national religion. I have no doubt that other religions and nations deride gay rights far more than we do, given what I know about women's rights world-wide, it makes total sense. But if the defense of Christianity begins with showing the unmitigated hate found elsewhere in the world, you're going to need an awful lot of Pledge to shine off that halo.

If Christianity desires to be a modern spiritual guide post in American lives, it's got to be progressive on this issue. I have a hard time believe that Jesus would vilify gays to the degree his followers do, so the whole premise seems to be an exercise in exclusion, not morality.
    Last edited by PseudoSABR; 09-15-2012 at 02:50 PM.

Twins Moderator All-Star ChiTownTwinsFan's Avatar
    Twitter
    @Sheradoodles
    Liked 1,841 Times in 1,075 Posts

If Christianity desires to be a modern spiritual guide post in American lives, it's got to be progressive on this issue. I have a hard time believe that Jesus would vilify gays to the degree his followers do, so the whole premise seems to be an exercise in exclusion, not morality.
    Most religions are exclusionary. You need to join, and participate and believe in a specific way. Sure, I could attend services most places (not all) and be welcomed in the door, but in most of most it wouldn't be truly acceptable for me to participate in certain aspects, i.e. communion. This is why I do not participate in any organized religion and why no religion should be a part of governmental policy. No denomination, let alone the whole group as a whole, believes in the same way and leads to greater conflict, imo.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123