Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Should the Twins shop for a shortstop this offseason?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Stay with what you have like Seth said. All free agent resources go into pitching, and trade Span for pitching.

I actually believe we should put the resources into pitching also.....but MN has failed to address the middle infield for the entire Gardy regime, cept the one ODawg/Hardy year. They have chosen weak hitting fringe MLB players to man the middle infield spots. Would love for them to address this eventually, but that will be after Gardy is out of office.

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Should they?

No

Will they?

Cannot remember the last season they did not shop for a middle infielder of one type or another... (looked it up, it was 2007 when Bartlett and Castillo, who finished 2006 as the starters, began 2007 as the starters as well, but that was the year of the revolving door at 3B: Punto/L Rod/Butcher/Watkins/etc)
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Please no more. You know that Gardenhire continues to look for clones of Nick Punto, and wouldn't trust a shortstop who hits for power. (See J.J. Hardy) If they bring another one in it will be one more projected #2 hitter who hits little but really hustles out there. Enough already.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    You know how many free agent OFers are out there? Lots!!

Gardy era
    SS-Guzman, Castro, Bartlett, Punto, Cabrera, Hardy, Nishi, Dozier, Florimon
    2B- Rivas, Punto, Castillo, Casilla, Hudson, Escobar

notice the similarities.....fail to address this yearly

Liked 709 Times in 456 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    Gardy era
    SS-Guzman, Castro, Bartlett, Punto, Cabrera, Hardy, Nishi, Dozier, Florimon
    2B- Rivas, Punto, Castillo, Casilla, Hudson, Escobar

notice the similarities.....fail to address this yearly
    lol... Yeah... We won a lot of division titles with those guys. Until Nishi came to town and wrecked everything.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I agree with the comments that starting pitching is the first priority. I do not think a middle infielder will be a big priority this offseason, Let's see what we have next year.

Liked 1,215 Times in 552 Posts
    Next offseason?

Can we trade for one before Saturday's game??

options are buying low...ala ARIZ with Aaron Hill. Hill turned around and now one of games best again.
    Would anyone be ballsy enough to look at Dan Uggla?? What if ATL picked up Blackburn/Nishi's deal back to cover 9m of his 39m deal left?? Sometimes ya gotta take a chance. He still has 17HR 64RBI & leads NL in walks w/80, what production do we have at the position?? They were rumoured in for Span at one time. Also been a positive UZR fielder this season.
    We all want to deal Span for pitching, but how much can ya get for him. Wash's Danny Espinosa was heavily mentioned for him last yr, is currently one of games rising middle infielders (minor league SS) and they have the depth (SLombardozzi) to deal him.
    Just a couple names.

expect to get drilled on Uggla idea...but, his 2012 struggles started June 1st.
    Since
    80gms .163/.306/.312 36runs 12doubles 9HR 33rbi 93k 46bb 2/3 sb ...pretty bad numbers & as bad as he can get
    Twins 2B all season
    137gms .230/.283/.290 51runs 22doubles 2triple 1hr 42rbi 80k 37bb19/20sb
    As horrible as Uggla's been, he's better than Minnesota's production, he's not the scrappy 'hit behind the runner' type Gardy must have

Uggla's 6 yr MLB lows
    146gms .233/.311/.453(all last yr).... 84runs 22doubles 27HR 82RBI 48bb 171Ks (his high)
    Twins have never had a 2B with that type of power production and those are his lows

Seasonal SS numbers
    137gms .230/.285/.309 58runs 18doubles 2triples 6hr 48rbi 91k 38bb 12/16sb
    Last edited by greengoblinrulz; 09-07-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If the Twins didn't have such a bad track record of free agent middle infielders I'd consider it, but I look at it and think, between Dozier, Florimon, Carroll and whoever else is in the system, that going out and paying 3.5 million for another Carroll is a waste of money.

Generally my philosophy is the Twins should avoid spending money on bullpen arms and middle infielders because what they are willing to pay and the type they go after are very similar to those that can be found at AAA.

If you look at many of the Twins numbers they aren't a terrible team, then you look at the starting pitching and its ridiculous and its only somewhat leveled off because guys like DeVries and Deduno are pitching above their talent. And if Gibson is going to be capped at around 100 innings, that could cause even more problems. Walters doesn't look right, so right now the only real guarantee would be Diamond. After that you look at 7-8 guys right now and solid starter isn't anything that is said when describing them.

Quote Originally Posted by joeboo_22 View Post
    If the Twins didn't have such a bad track record of free agent middle infielders I'd consider it, but I look at it and think, between Dozier, Florimon, Carroll and whoever else is in the system, that going out and paying 3.5 million for another Carroll is a waste of money.

Generally my philosophy is the Twins should avoid spending money on bullpen arms and middle infielders because what they are willing to pay and the type they go after are very similar to those that can be found at AAA.

If you look at many of the Twins numbers they aren't a terrible team, then you look at the starting pitching and its ridiculous and its only somewhat leveled off because guys like DeVries and Deduno are pitching above their talent. And if Gibson is going to be capped at around 100 innings, that could cause even more problems. Walters doesn't look right, so right now the only real guarantee would be Diamond. After that you look at 7-8 guys right now and solid starter isn't anything that is said when describing them.
    Did anyone hear the Gibson 100 innings from Ryan??? I read it earlier & there is no way that I belive its true (misprint of 160 maybe). I heard Ryan say they wanted to get Kyle to around 70 innings THIS year (counting Instr. Lg & AFL).
    Still will surprise me if its 160 as they let Liriano get to 200 the first year back. Dont know why they would change philosiphy, but they wont contend next year so its no big deal

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I agree that SP'ing is by far the biggest need but the Twins should absolutely be looking for a MI. I wouldn't mind getting a guy like Scutaro (or MIzturis) for 1/5 + an option. He might be old but he's actually decent compared to anything the Twins have played out there. And he won't have a long deal that could hurt the twins. the problem with addressing MI is that there just isn't much out there.

Should I drink a Brewery Vivant Zaison while watching football?

When you don't have something you really need, it becomes a very easy and rhetorical question.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Texas has a CF thats going to be a free agent this offseason and Cruz will be a FA soon so is Napoli. There are several things they can use in a trade. We have lots of OF prospects. How about Arcia and Hermann and Slama for Andrus. My trade ideas may not be the best but you could use Span or Revere in a trade as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Texas has a CF thats going to be a free agent this offseason and Cruz will be a FA soon so is Napoli. There are several things they can use in a trade. We have lots of OF prospects. How about Arcia and Hermann and Slama for Andrus. My trade ideas may not be the best but you could use Span or Revere in a trade as well.
    Slama will be a minor league free agent. I highly doubt he chooses to stay here.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Did anyone hear the Gibson 100 innings from Ryan??? I read it earlier & there is no way that I belive its true (misprint of 160 maybe). I heard Ryan say they wanted to get Kyle to around 70 innings THIS year (counting Instr. Lg & AFL).
    Still will surprise me if its 160 as they let Liriano get to 200 the first year back. Dont know why they would change philosiphy, but they wont contend next year so its no big deal
    On the radio he said (or the assistant gm) 20-25% increase from this year to next year. that would put it right around 100IP if he gets to that 70IP area. That is why they are sending him to instructional ball, and the Arizona Fall League.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Greatest Poster Alive View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
    Slama will be a minor league free agent. I highly doubt he chooses to stay here.
    I don't think he is, not until next year, but he will be rule 5 draft eligible.

On the radio he said (or the assistant gm) 20-25% increase from this year to next year. that would put it right around 100IP if he gets to that 70IP area. That is why they are sending him to instructional ball, and the Arizona Fall League.
    they use the 20/25% rule on minor league pitchers & relievers transfering to starters....but if they do this with Gibson, they will finally show everyone else how incompetant the front office/medical staff truly is. Wash is getting heat by bein conservative with Stras by only letting him get back to 170innings. Never heard of a team limiting a starter to that few innings after the surgery IF they are gonna start him.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast