Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trade Revere, Not Span

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Trade Revere, Not Span

Who else feels the same way? Revere has basically reached his ceiling as a 3 tool player. He isn't as valuable to the Twins as Span is, but could probably fetch something in a trade.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
    To me I think it comes down to who gets more value back. With the upcoming core of awesome outfielders - Hicks, Arcia, cross-your-fingers Benson, etc., I think all you really need is a stopgap for 2013. Keep either one, I don't care. Just get rid of the one who gets us pitching in return...

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trust me when I say that there is absolutely zero chance of this happening.

Blog Entries
    I guess I like Denard more than Ben. I also feel that Span's end of the season injury should play a role in keeping him.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I like Span as much as the next guy, and would take him over Revere, but there is no way it makes any sense to trade a cheap alternative to Span, when they need to re-tool an entire pitching staff. Span will fetch them move in a trade then Revere

I respectfully disagree. I think it's Span who's reached his ceiling. Span is who he is. I think Revere, as he learns to work counts, draw walks and bunt, has a chance to become an elite leadoff hitter. It's not a slam dunk, but he has a chance. Span doesn't. Span isn't an engaging personality either, which with this current team, I think matters. Revere has a chance to become a leader in the club house and a bridge builder with casual fans. I can also see Revere relating to children in a way nobody has since Puckett. There's just something about the guy, in my opinion. I sort of see Revere as a Torii Hunter kind of personality minus the occasional outbursts of anger and selfishness.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TK10 View Post
    I respectfully disagree. I think it's Span who's reached his ceiling. Span is who he is. I think Revere, as he learns to work counts, draw walks and bunt, has a chance to become an elite leadoff hitter. It's not a slam dunk, but he has a chance. Span doesn't. Span isn't an engaging personality either, which with this current team, I think matters. Revere has a chance to become a leader in the club house and a bridge builder with casual fans. I can also see Revere relating to children in a way nobody has since Puckett. There's just something about the guy, in my opinion. I sort of see Revere as a Torii Hunter kind of personality minus the occasional outbursts of anger and selfishness.
    He has zero power. Not even close to Torii Hunter. I see him as a Juan Pierre comp. and a really good 4th Outfielder. Span has been a better player this season and probably would fetch more. I just see Revere is a block to Hicks and Arcia for some reason as well since all three are young.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trade both. One this offseason and one at next year's deadline. Hicks just profiles as a more complete player than either of those two if he continues to live up to his potential, such that I think he makes a better CF than either. Leave the corners for the guys who can flat-out hit (Willingham, Arcia). Hicks looks to be a better base-stealer with more pop than Span, more plate discipline and a better arm than Revere. Not really inferior in anything to either of them. Again, assuming he continues the play he finally showed this year. Of course he's still only played at AA, so he could flame out, but then we just wait for Buxton while filling in with Benson/Mastroianni.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Revere is a much better hitter (for average) than Span. Revere has better baserunning skills and covers more ground than Span. Revere is solid. I would also agree that Span's value is much lower than Revere. Revere's lack of arm strength is super overblown. Span's injury put the cabosh on getting traded. Now look for Mornie and/or the Hammer to get moved this offseason.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 137 Times in 74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TK10 View Post
    He has zero power. Not even close to Torii Hunter. I see him as a Juan Pierre comp. and a really good 4th Outfielder. Span has been a better player this season and probably would fetch more. I just see Revere is a block to Hicks and Arcia for some reason as well since all three are young.
    He was talking about "personality" not power or hitting numbers.

Sorry, I meant in terms of personality he reminds me of Hunter. Revere and Hunter are obviously radically different players. I'm bothered by how injury prone Span is, too. If Mauer had missed time because he was scared of the MRI machine Twins Territory would have gone ballistic.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    While I do agree it's unrealistic to trade Revere instead of Span, I do think some people are highly undervaluing Denard's play and overvaluing Ben's.

Denard is the prototypical lead off hitter. He has always been good at getting on base, but more importantly he always sees a lot of pitches while knowing how to foul off pitches if need be. This creates longer innings for pitchers and allows other batters to see what the pitcher is doing. To me, the offense looks completely different when Span is leading off compared to Revere. Span also has good gap to gap power, which Revere obviously has none of. Span was on pace for over 40 doubles and over 50 extra base hits.

Ben will max out at 30 extra base hits on a good year and gets a large amount of hits on bloop/infield hits which aren't as effective with runners on base. Revere will never magically be able to draw more walks and if he does draw a couple more walks his BA will drop to even it out. There is a reason why Revere hits .241 as a lead off hitter and .318 as the number 2 hitter, it's a different animal. Lead off hitters are taught to have a different approach which Span clearly has down. When you ask Revere to take that approach it's like taking the venom away from a snake. Revere is naturally an aggressive hitter. I agree that Revere does bring more speed, has slightly better range and brings a fun personality but Span is by far an overall better player.

Agreed - Span is a better hitter. Revere is a better fielder and baserunner. This next statement contradicts what I said about his fielding but with his limited arm strength can we teach Revere to play 2nd base?

I find it pretty amusing that personality is even relevant to this discussion... Maybe if denard smiled more he'd get some respect around here.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 67 Times in 50 Posts
    Blog Entries
    By the beginning of 2014 hopefully both will have been traded (Benson, Hicks, Arcia)

Quote Originally Posted by JP3700 View Post
    While I do agree it's unrealistic to trade Revere instead of Span, I do think some people are highly undervaluing Denard's play and overvaluing Ben's.

Denard is the prototypical lead off hitter. He has always been good at getting on base, but more importantly he always sees a lot of pitches while knowing how to foul off pitches if need be. This creates longer innings for pitchers and allows other batters to see what the pitcher is doing. To me, the offense looks completely different when Span is leading off compared to Revere. Span also has good gap to gap power, which Revere obviously has none of. Span was on pace for over 40 doubles and over 50 extra base hits.

Ben will max out at 30 extra base hits on a good year and gets a large amount of hits on bloop/infield hits which aren't as effective with runners on base. Revere will never magically be able to draw more walks and if he does draw a couple more walks his BA will drop to even it out. There is a reason why Revere hits .241 as a lead off hitter and .318 as the number 2 hitter, it's a different animal. Lead off hitters are taught to have a different approach which Span clearly has down. When you ask Revere to take that approach it's like taking the venom away from a snake. Revere is naturally an aggressive hitter. I agree that Revere does bring more speed, has slightly better range and brings a fun personality but Span is by far an overall better player.
    Well put. Revere is not a lead off hitter. He's definitely shown more talent than i expected him to, but that still doesn't erase the fact that he can't lead off. The Twins would be lacking a leadoff hitter for the future if they got rid of span. Who anywhere in this organization has a leadoff skill set? I don't see it outside of Span. Some people want to de-emphasize the impact of lineup position on production, but in the case of hitting leadoff, there is a specific skill set that you need to have to succeed at the top of a lineup.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Such as getting caught leaning off of 1st base 20 times a season ala span?

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 776 Times in 426 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Greatest Poster Alive View Post
    Who anywhere in this organization has a leadoff skill set?
    Aaron Hicks.

Ben ....... gets a large amount of hits on bloop/infield hits which aren't as effective with runners on base
    Doesn't this suggest he would be more effective leading off?

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Greatest Poster Alive View Post
    Who anywhere in this organization has a leadoff skill set?
    Aaron Hicks.
    Definitely overlooked Hicks. He has actually come along pretty nicely now that I checked his stats this year in AA. His MLB ETA would coincide pretty nicely with the end of Denard's contract. Still don't understand the rush to trade this guy unless a legitimate piece to the future is offered. Trading him for a B or lower prospect just doesn't make sense to me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast