Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When do you check out?

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 504 Times in 195 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I never check out from Twins baseball... let alone baseball as a whole. There is as always some facet than can elicit an interest of some kind.

What I can attest to - I certainly have no interest in NFL Football - the game where rapists, murderers and wife beaters hold court. I had my fill with Mark Chmura, Rae Carruth and Ray Lewis - GAME OVER!

Other than that - I will go tend to the garden, hold my wife's hand, or plant some perennials for the upcoming year!
    Last edited by Bark's Lounge; 09-06-2012 at 10:12 PM.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I never completely check out, but I've gradually started to disengage in early-to-mid August the last couple of years when the team has been simply unwatchable at times.

I watched some of the O's-Yanks on MLB tonight, and it made me long for the days when the Twins were playing meaningful games in September. Hard to believe it was only 2 years ago, it feels like it's been forever. And if this is what 2 years feels like, I can't imagine what it must be like to be a diehard Pirates or Royals fan.

Quote Originally Posted by one_eyed_jack View Post
    I never completely check out, but I've gradually started to disengage in early-to-mid August the last couple of years when the team has been simply unwatchable at times.

I watched some of the O's-Yanks on MLB tonight, and it made me long for the days when the Twins were playing meaningful games in September. Hard to believe it was only 2 years ago, it feels like it's been forever. And if this is what 2 years feels like, I can't imagine what it must be like to be a diehard Pirates or Royals fan.
    Should have been a Twins fan in the mid-late 90's. This feels close to the same, but a little worse because it feels like they should be better.

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I never fully check out, but almost never watch an entire game. Too much of life to do. I follow how the callups do and the minor leaguers as this early on was a lost year. It is fun now to see if the Yankees can collapse and finish on the outside looking in. A Yankee failure would really make the FA market difficult. They would be under severe pressure from their fan base to spend over the luxury tax threshold and just 'Win baby Win'
    If the owners take that approach, It will put a lot of pressure on the FA market for all the lower clubs as they will have to wait for the trickle down FA's to reach their price range or maybe they never will.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 130 Times in 81 Posts
    I have not been very interested in the Twins all season. I still follow but I actually have spent just as much time paying attention to the minors where some exciting things are happening. I had low expectations so I didn't bother buying the mlb.tv package and have only seen a handful of Twins games on TV since it's usually all O's (Taiwanese pitcher), Yankees and Nat's (other Taiwanese pitcher).

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I "checked out" in terms of caring about wins and losses when they came out of the all star break and didn't have a run. I "checked out" on attempting to watch the majority of every game broadcast on FSN way back in June 2011. I started back up again with the watching in April but was pretty well "checked out" again by mid-May which just happened to coincide with the end of their early season swoon. Finally, living in Iowa, I've only been to one game in Target Field since it opened. That game was late June of this year versus the Royals. A great ballpark, great atmosphere but I need more of a reason to travel 4 hours one way to see a game and spend hard earned money.

Mr. Pohlad and Mr. Ryan; choices and decisions have consequences. In this case the fan base that was TwinsTerritory is eroding.

Misery loves company. That's why we are here and still following the Twins!

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drunksam View Post
    Should have been a Twins fan in the mid-late 90's. This feels close to the same, but a little worse because it feels like they should be better.

Oh I was, and that sucked. But at least we were treated to a nice stretch of relevance in the 00's. The Pirates and Royals have been consistently sucking pond water since the early 90's. 2 straight decades of utter futility.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It is really two questions. I haven't checked out. I watch nearly every game (recorded with a thirty-second skip button. I probably wouldn't otherwise). I check in here most days (sometimes many times in a day).

However, I stopped caring about wins and losses early in the first week of the season. Defense mechanism.

I never check out. Not that I know anything about baseball, but it has always been my favorite game to follow.

Football is a dying game. The ratings and profit margins for the league may say differently, but that is one sorry product. I don't even know what happened in the games yesterday. The Vikes won right? Whoopee!..................pfffttttt.

I listened to the Twins game yesterday on the radio while dinking around outside and in the garage like I do about half the time. It's too nice to sit inside wasting the day.

The season is played throughout the best part of the year up here. (for the most part) That might have something to do with baseball being my favorite sport.

Never do check out though...
    Last edited by Wolfy; 09-10-2012 at 06:33 AM. Reason: spelling

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    How can you check out? It's baseball. TWINS baseball. Soon enough we'll be waiting six months for the next real baseball game. No real baseball fan--Twins fan--checks out.
    What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaeTwins View Post
    My question for you is, at what point do you stop caring if the Twins win or not?
    I think I reached that point in mid-May. Now I hope that they lose to increase their draft position.

Have any of you checked out yet?
    I'm going to the game tomorrow, so no, I haven't checked out. Got tickets in sec. 220 for $7.00 each from ScoreBig.com.

I still watch the Twins on TV most of the time they are on, maybe not the whole game, but I do watch several innings and always flick over there during commercials if I'm watching something else.
    "Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand."

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 109 Times in 69 Posts
    The NFL Draft

I realized pretty quickly that the Twins were not going to contend.

I basically "half checked out" at the start of the French Open (I like tennis) which was end of May...since then check hilites and this web site daily (excpet when on vacation. Follow box scores to see how guys who will be on our contending team in 2014 are doing. Thats about it.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,266 Times in 677 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    How can you check out? It's baseball. TWINS baseball. Soon enough we'll be waiting six months for the next real baseball game. No real baseball fan--Twins fan--checks out.
    What he said.
    I can't quite believe this but I'm in with Chief on this one as well.Check out? No, can't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12