Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's is Span's off-season value?

If the goal is to trade both Span and Morneau, which I think it should be, why not plan for Parmalee at first and Mauer in right? Mauer is a better athlete than Parmalee and seems more adaptable to right. You'd have to think that right would put even less wear and tear on Mauer's body than first would. A full season in right could mean a return to batting titles for Mauer. From there, why not Revere in center and Mastroianni in left with Willingham as the every day DH. That way you don't have to rush any of the OF kids. Revere leading off with Mastroianni in the two-hole could be really exciting.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TK10 View Post
    If the goal is to trade both Span and Morneau, which I think it should be, why not plan for Parmalee at first and Mauer in right? Mauer is a better athlete than Parmalee and seems more adaptable to right. You'd have to think that right would put even less wear and tear on Mauer's body than first would. A full season in right could mean a return to batting titles for Mauer. From there, why not Revere in center and Mastroianni in left with Willingham as the every day DH. That way you don't have to rush any of the OF kids. Revere leading off with Mastroianni in the two-hole could be really exciting.
    Great words of wisdom TK. The move Mauer debate needs to be brought up in full force this summer.

Twins Twerp:

I fear you're right on Greinke, but you can't blame me for dreaming. Greinke would do well here; I think his, shall we say, quirky personality would endear him in this market.

I love Vogelsong too. A guy's who's earned everything the hard way. If Romero is a pipe-dream, perhaps Morneau for Vogelsong?

As far as Span, I'd give him away for a B prospect. Anything to get Revere in center.
    Last edited by TK10; 09-06-2012 at 03:03 PM.

TR missed the boat and now Span's trade value is nil.

With younger, cheaper, better defenders such as Bourjos, Parra and GoGo availble this offseason via trade why give up anything for Span. Heck, Span has much better OBP than GoGo but that advantage is lost due to caught stealings and pickoffs.

I like WAR for the long run but it is worthless in the short run if it says Span is +5. It needs to ind a better way of properly valuing D and accountinf for bonehead plays that cost teams outs.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
    I like WAR for the long run but it is worthless in the short run if it says Span is +5.
    Begging the question.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 44 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just curious what everyone thinks of Denard for Randall Delgado of the braves. I know it might be a stretch considering Delgado was a top 50 prospect coming into the season, but I think it may be reasonable considering the braves will need a CF/lead off hitter, they are on a limited budget, they are STACKED with starting pitching, and they were also offering him in the Ryan Dempster deal which fell through. So isn't 3 years of Denard at a good salary equal or more valuable than Dempster as a rental? I would definitely be happy with Delgado in the rotation next year.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twinswon1991 View Post
    Heck, Span has much better OBP than GoGo but that advantage is lost due to caught stealings and pickoffs.
    Span has been caught stealing or picked off a total of 8 times this year. Gomez 7. While Span has an extra 128 plate appearances (and 16 fewer stolen base attempts). Span has a .048 advantage in OBP.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 89 Times in 55 Posts
    I don't have any problem trading Span but I don't think he'll bring back enough to make a trade worthwhile.

I would be on board trading Span for Shields if the Twins were also willing to shell out the money for Greinke and really try to be competitive. the important thing about this deal is that they haven't really hurt their future much.

I can understand that he's going to make too much but this is true of all FA pitchers. If you aren't willing to spend then you are going to be shopping in the Livan/Marquis/Ortiz section of the market. guys like Anibal/Marcum/Jackson are going to get 10-15M/yr. Marcum is actually pretty good but he seems like an injury waiting to happen.
    Last edited by kab21; 09-08-2012 at 04:53 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12