Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shipley: Ryan Discusses Slama

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Shipley: Ryan Discusses Slama

http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_2...r-luis-perdomo

Pioneer Press's John Shipley asked GM Terry Ryan about why Anthony Slama was not promoted.

Leaving Slama off the roster was particularly perplexing to fans who have been paying attention to the reliever the past few seasons.
    "I understand that," Ryan said. "That's because they see the numbers."
    There is some more, but I don't want to copy the whole article. Go read it. It only takes a minute... Here is one more quote from the article:

"His statistical line is very, very impressive," Ryan said. "I know that, and I certainly took that into consideration. We know a lot more about Anthony Slama than we do Perdomo, to be quite frank. It's just like bringing up Escobar instead of (Brian) Dozier. We need to know something about some of these guys."

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would think we know enough about Perdomo.
    Papers...business papers.

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    I appreciate that Shipley asked the questions.But the problem, Mr. Ryan, is that Slama EARNED a look BEFORE he was injured. And then came back from his injury and kept on earning it.What a bunch of B.S.

Also, a) it isn't punishment to not promote everyone who didn't get injured if they suck. and b) couldn't you call up like 13 more people if you wanted to? and c) Will Slama get his shot in MN or is someone going to Rule V him?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It all goes back to what Ryan said about calling up players that "earned" it based on waht they did in AAA and AA. I wish Shipley would have asked him how Escobar "earned" it but Slama didn't. But reporters around here don't like pressing for more answers so...

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's a good thing we all got to know so much about Jeff Gray.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 590 Times in 225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    It's a good thing we all got to know so much about Jeff Gray.
    His first 88 innings in the majors weren't putrid enough, they had to see him with their own eyes.....for an extended duration.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 38 Posts
    I'm shocked that the free Slama crowd didn't appreciate Ryan's reasoning.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ok. This is one of the things that Ryan said:
    "How many people are you going to bring up? But I do understand that (Slama's) stat line is pretty impressive. He'll get his chance."
    this sounds like a promise. If Slama is not at least invited in 2013 ST, Ryan lied. (of course if Ryan is still the GM) We shall see.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    shocking, isn't it?! I understand all of what he said, for sure. However, if the Twins are going with 6 starters most of the rest of the way, may be good to have another arm. Perdomo definitely deserves the promotion. He was very good in AA and AAA this year.

I understand all given reasons. I do. I just think that Slama should be with the Twins.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think I am in the majority when I say:

WTF

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 20 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    When his reasoning is based on fallacies, I think its more shocking that anyone WOULD appreciate his reasoning

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 195 Times in 123 Posts
    Ryan's mention of Slama getting his chance sounded like the GM was implying he was planning on adding Slama to the 40-man. I'm suspicious that he will, but that slick-tounged good ol' boy did make a couple of convincing points. With his injury history, including recently, it may benefit Slama to end his season now. Also, while he didn't come out and say it, his remark about how the fans only see the numbers may have been his passive way of saying what many have said before. His lack of movement and lack of velocity may not play well in the majors. If he came right out and said just that I'd respect the honesty more, but even so, there's still only one way to find out if his stuff translates to this level.
    Last edited by nicksaviking; 09-04-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The fact that Slama was out for a few months with a NON-PITCHING related injury is actually an argument for bringing him up and seing what he has. I'm at a loss for trying to understand how promoting Slama would be negative to the others. Promote them all and give them all innings. Finally, numbers simply don't lie. The numbers Twins pitchers have put up in the majors this year have been PUTRID. I guess I'm still perplexed.
    Last edited by silverslugger; 09-04-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Liked 1,032 Times in 469 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Bacon View Post
    b) couldn't you call up like 13 more people if you wanted to? ?
    One could almost infer there's a, um...financial implication to the skimpy number of callups, no?

But to believe that might be a factor, one would have to conclude the Twins are more interested in making good money than in making good baseball decisions.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 101 Posts
    Who cares, he will get his shot in 2013, bringing up everyone to be a part of a 10+ man bullpen isn't exactly a solution to get him a bunch of innings, is 4-5 IP in September really going to make some huge difference?

Also yes, he is dominating AAA, but he is 28, and I'm sure the Twins know his stuff quite well, I know its beyond a SSS but in the majors he does have 7 walks in 7 innings, perhaps he just lacks big league stuff.

Reminds me of another guy who "dominated" AAA who fans freaked out about "not given a chance" his name is Kevin Slowey and is currently posting a lightning hot 5.14 ERA in AAA for the Indians.

Can Slama potentially be an asset in the majors? Sure, why not. But its more likely as a 6th/7th guy then a set up/closer type.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Bacon View Post
    b) couldn't you call up like 13 more people if you wanted to? ?
    One could almost infer there's a, um...financial implication to the skimpy number of callups, no?

But to believe that might be a factor, one would have to conclude the Twins are more interested in making good money than in making good baseball decisions.
    Why on earth would it make sense to call up another 13 guys? You basically then set up your team to have 10 or so guys on the squad who won't see anything more than an inning or two on the mound, or 5-10 at bats. And yes, that would be a waste of money, not only in salary, but hotels, seats on a charter flight, room in the clubhouse etc etc

I imagine if the Twins were in the playoff hunt they would have called up a couple more guys, perhaps a guy like Hicks with the sole reason to be a defensive replacement/PR. However, there is zero reason to start the clocks of more guys then needed.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Ok. This is one of the things that Ryan said:
    "How many people are you going to bring up? But I do understand that (Slama's) stat line is pretty impressive. He'll get his chance."
    this sounds like a promise. If Slama is not at least invited in 2013 ST, Ryan lied. (of course if Ryan is still the GM) We shall see.
    Ryan already lied once when he said September call ups would be people that EARNED it. No reason to believe him this time

Liked 345 Times in 196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post

I had a similar thought. Just how cheap can Terry Ryan get?

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 325 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    His lack of movement and lack of velocity may not play well in the majors. If he came right out and said just that I'd respect the honesty more, but even so, there's still only one way to find out if his stuff translates to this level.........
    ....and can anyone conceive of a better time to find out how it translates- than the last 27 games of the MLB season- especially considering there's an open spot available on the 40-man?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast