Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: White Sox: Pitch to Contact

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 671 Times in 380 Posts

White Sox: Pitch to Contact

Just saying....we're not the only ones with this very sane approach to fixing Liriano. By whatever catch phrase you want to call it....

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 87 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Gee. Imagine that. Maybe telling an erratic pitcher with good stuff to try and put the ball in the strike zone isn't so reprehensible after all.

Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Blog Entries
    FWIW, here's a post I wrote last summer pointing out the flaws in blaming the Twins for Liriano's issues: http://twinsfanatnicks.blogspot.com/...-of-blame.html.

I thought the third comment, from "Matt," was pretty good: "Nobody is successful consistently behind in the count. All they asked him was to throw it over, and he can't do it. The next team will ask him to throw it over, too."

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 385 Times in 215 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As the name implies, the aim of pitch to contact isn't to reduce walk rate, its to induce contact.

The logic being, evidently, that Liriano's success in 2006 and 2010 was due to his career high GB rates.

However, in fact, Adam Peterson proves yet again, that ground ball rate scales with velocity and whiff rate.

http://www.twinkietown.com/2012/9/4/...-on-a-fastball

Yeah had to post this after my defense of "pitch to contact" goes back two years. The fact is you cant strike batters out if batters doubt your ability to throw strikes.

Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    As the name implies, the aim of pitch to contact isn't to reduce walk rate, its to induce contact.
    ? Really?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    The logic of course, being that forcing a hitter to put the ball in play means that most of them get themselves out 7/10 times; whereas a walk never gets them out. So, yes, the oft stated pitch to contact phrase is also about walks. Obviously, strikeouts are the ideal, but I remember an interview with Verlander last year where he said realized he can go deeper into games when he isn't trying to strike every batter out.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,310 Times in 706 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Yeah had to post this after my defense of "pitch to contact" goes back two years. The fact is you cant strike batters out if batters doubt your ability to throw strikes.
    Pat on back.

Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Pat on back.
    Damn right it is. People in this town, on every local web page, on every local radio station were blasting the Twins for this. And with a complete misrepresentation of what was happening. The Liriano defenders have always made the Twins out to be the villans in his incompetence but he's always been his own worst enemy. And now a pitching guru that many of these same voices adore is doing the same damn thing the Twins did. "Pitch to contact" just means "throw strikes early in the count" or "don't get behind". Just because the Twins have had a string of players unable to capitalize on that philosophy with strikeouts doesn't mean it isn't the right approach.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    "Pitch to contact" just means "throw strikes early in the count" or "don't get behind".
    Are there competing approaches?

Pitchers are given a goal from little league, to get strike one over. That is so obvious as to be ubiquitous.

Pitch to contact is more specific than "get ahead of the hitter." It is, more like, continue to throw hittable strikes after you are ahead, in order to induce contact, rather than throwing junk and a. getting a whiff for strike 3, b. inducing weak contact/foul ball, or c. throwing a ball, and ratcheting up the pitch count.

They are not the same thing.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer jimbo92107's Avatar
    Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You want Liriano to throw strikes? Simple: Make him practice with a mud puddle on both sides of the mound. If he does one of his wacky whirly follow throughs, he lands in the mud. If he finishes on balance, he stays clean and dry. Strike three!

Pitchers are given a goal from little league, to get strike one over. That is so obvious as to be ubiquitous.
    And yet, so many that reach the major leagues can't do it. You're confusing the Twins inability to develop pitchers that can finish off hitters with their pitching philosophy. Nothing wrong with risking contact in the name of getting ahead of hitters. The issue this team has is not having the talent to take advantage.

Liriano had the talent to take advantage, but apparently his minor league instructors ubiquitous enough.

Blog Entries
    Again there isn't a coach in the history of baseball who has taught his pitchers to fall behind hitters. I'm not sure if you think that is my counter point to the pitch to contact theory but its not.

Re: Liriano, Andy and now Don Cooper evidendly, have failed to get through to him. As jimbo said, Liriano's strike throwing problems are mechanical. It isn't that Liriano places some misguided value in falling behind hitters or doesn't understand the objective of pitching. For Andy and Cooper to imply as much sounds like excuse making to me.

Re: pitch to contact, if the Twins don't have the talent to "take advantage," then why do they continue to preach it? Here are some absurd statistics to show, a. how well the Twins have executed pitching to contact approach, and b. how flamboyantly it has failed them.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 220 Times in 140 Posts
    Again there isn't a coach in the history of baseball who has taught his pitchers to fall behind hitters. I'm not sure if you think that is my counter point to the pitch to contact theory but its not.

Re: Liriano, Andy and now Don Cooper evidendly, have failed to get through to him. As jimbo said, Liriano's strike throwing problems are mechanical. It isn't that Liriano places some misguided value in falling behind hitters or doesn't understand the objective of pitching. For Andy and Cooper to imply as much sounds like excuse making to me.

Re: pitch to contact, if the Twins don't have the talent to "take advantage," then why do they continue to preach it? Here are some absurd statistics to show, a. how well the Twins have executed pitching to contact approach, and b. how flamboyantly it has failed them.

What are those results for the entire Gardy/Andy years?

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 865 Times in 556 Posts
    Blog Entries

Gardy, Andy and TR: somehow "flamboyant" doesn't come to mind when trying to characterize them adjectivally. At least the braintrust have proudly accomplished No. 1 rankings in Contact Rate and Double Plays, Woohoo!

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 865 Times in 556 Posts
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=gunnarthor;52156]

What are those results for the entire Gardy/Andy years?[/QUOTE]

AKA, the Era of Flamboyancy...

Blog Entries
    No, but never has the team executed so perfectly the pitch to contact theory except 2011 and 2012. As you go back through the years, you will find that there is a pretty close inverse relationship between contact % and ERA, for example. In years where they were pitching more to miss bats, the results were better. 2006 was the last year the Twins were among the elite teams in pitching (3rd in ERA), and not surprisingly, they also had the 3rd best contact rate at just 79.5 %.

Pick a year, any year you like from the Gardy/Andy era and you'll find this relationship holds up: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ter=&players=0

Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Blog Entries
    No, but never has the team executed so perfectly the pitch to contact theory except 2011 and 2012. As you go back through the years, you will find that there is a pretty close inverse relationship between contact % and ERA, for example. In years where they were pitching more to miss bats, the results were better. 2006 was the last year the Twins were among the elite teams in pitching (3rd in ERA), and not surprisingly, they also had the 3rd best contact rate at just 79.5 %.

Pick a year, any year you like from the Gardy/Andy era and you'll find this relationship holds up: http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.asp...ter=&players=0
    It's based on personnel, not philosophy. The Twins were not "pitching more to miss bats" in 2006, they had more strikeout pitchers. Currently they do not have many guys on their staff capable of high strikeout rates.

If your argument is that the Twins should seek out more hurlers with the ability to miss bats, it's a very valid one. But there is simply no evidence that their coaching approach has had any meaningful impact on a specific pitcher's strikeout numbers. Last year, they asked Liriano to be more efficient (well warranted after an 80-pitch, three-inning ST outing) and stop trying to nibble around the edges so much. In other words: throw the ball over the plate.

I'm not sure what exactly you think pitch-to-contact means. Telegraph the location of the ball so that the batter can hit it?

Blog Entries
    But Liriano is a strikeout pitcher.

The implication here seems to be that Liriano placed a misguided value in falling behind hitters, and only needed to be told, that his objective was the reverse.

That is preposterous.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,606 Times in 833 Posts
    Blog Entries
    But Liriano is a strikeout pitcher.

The implication here seems to be that Liriano placed a misguided value in falling behind hitters, and only needed to be told, that his objective was the reverse.

That is preposterous.
    His objective wasn't to walk guys but there are plenty of pitchers who try to get "cute" with their pitching and nibble at the corners, like they're suddenly a reincarnation of Greg Maddux.

I'm not saying that's what Liriano did (I think his problems are far more complex than that) but it's not as if that tendency is unheard of in the pitching community. In their minds, they're trying to get guys out but their actions are counter-productive to that goal.

"Pitch to contact" is a fine philosophy. The Twins rode it for years, taking marginal guys and getting decent production from them by avoiding walks and letting the defense make outs. On the other hand, when it was working, the Twins also had several pitchers with real talent (Radke, Santana, Baker) who missed a few bats as well. Remove that pitching talent and no matter how much you either tell a guy to "miss bats" or "let the defense play", it doesn't matter. Your pitching staff is going to be bad because your pitchers are bad.

The Twins spent a decade near the top of the list in walks issued and coincidentally, they had some pretty decent pitching staffs during that time. I don't think that's entirely a coincidence but it's not the entire story, either.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast