Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Count me in.

Count me in!!!
    -Caleb Loge

Signed

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Highabove's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    i'm in.

Mr. Ryan, I agree with this letter. Anthony Slama now has 100 saves in our minor league system. He gave up only about 4 earned runs all year. I believe when a player does that well he should at least be honored with a reasonable chance to prove himself at the next level. He is not on the 40 man roster so that may be the problem. Also Anthony doesn't throw very hard and walks a few batters. I believe the Twin's coaches could solve the walking problem. Mr. Ryan you don't want to put him on the 40 man roster, at least tell him now that he will be given a fair shot in spring training so he doesn't lose his desire. For Anthony, for you, and for the Twin's it would be the right thing to do. Mr. Ryan, thank you for your time and consideration. Alan Harrer, Twins fan forever.

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Need to get this post back on the front page.

Add me. Thanks.

Count me in.

Tom Fischer

Liked 1,199 Times in 697 Posts
    For those who know when to call in, I urge you to do it. And if, in addition to signing the petition, anybody wants to e-mail Mr. Ryan directly with similar sentiments, do it. Or send them to someone else in the Twins' food chain.

AND, some of us should e-mail Mackey, LEN3, etc. and ask them to press for an explanation.

Attack the issue on all fronts.

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bark. You should check out Todd Snider's song D.B. Cooper. You might like it.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 193 Times in 119 Posts
    Just a couple of suggestions on your letter. First, "We are the fans who spend hours of our day watching a ballclub that has let us down and we will probably continue to do so." That'll make him want to respond. Second, "We want to know why you won’t give another opportunity to Anthony Slama." The Twins have already told you why they won't do so - they don't think his stuff will work at the ML level. What you really want is for the Twins to call him up despite what the Twins have concluded on Slama. If you want him up, say so. If you just want a reason for him staying in the minors, be prepared for a "his stuff won't play" response.

In any event, I've never given a crap about the free Slama movement but you can add my name.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,241 Times in 494 Posts
    Jeff Gray's stuff played well enough at the ML level to be given 50+ innings of some of the worst relief work in the entire league.

I find it very, very hard to believe that Slama's stuff isn't at least as "good." It's a bull**** piece of reasoning, and the front office should be called on.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

I too am in! Any organization that can give almost 5 mo. to Jeff Freaking Gray and keep Slama down after Sept callups has got to be delusional! Do what is right Mr. Ryan, and make the call. #FREESLAMA
    <--------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Twins fan since '87; Lover of Bacon
    Co-Host of the AL Central themed Inverted W podcast
    Find me on twitter: @MightyMpls

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm in.

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post

I find it very, very hard to believe that Slama's stuff isn't at least as "good." It's a bull**** piece of reasoning, and the front office should be called on.
    But that supposes someone named "snepp" with a TMNT avatar, living in South Dakota, knows more than a ML front office.

Slama was a 39th rd pick out of San Diego. He's had injury issues that last two years that didn't allow him to hit even 40ip either season. He's been exposed to the rule V draft and not selected by other teams. The team doesn't think his stuff will work at this level.

He might turn into Jeff Gray 2.0 but I don't get why so much ink (so to speak) is spent on this guy. But, as I said, sign me on the petition.

Senior Member All-Star Boom Boom's Avatar
    Liked 210 Times in 97 Posts
    I'd like to know as well.

We've heard before from the Twins org. that Slama just doesn't have the "stuff" to be successful in the big leagues... all the while the Twins are giving opportunities to Gray, Maloney, Manship, and a bevy of other relievers that have never been successful at the MLB level and have "stuff" that's no better than Slama's.

I agree, don't understand why he doesn't get another chance. The funny thing is, I think he would fail in the majors, but it seems to me that his performance has been so good at AAA that he has earned the chance to succeed or fail on the field instead of relying solely on the scouting reports.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,241 Times in 494 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    But that supposes someone named "snepp" with a TMNT avatar, living in South Dakota, knows more than a ML front office.
    You're supposing they're perfect and don't make any mistakes. I knew more than they did about Jeff Gray, that's apparent.

Slama will likely never amount to anything, but there's a problem with the process here.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Senior Member All-Star
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnarthor View Post
    You're supposing they're perfect and don't make any mistakes. I knew more than they did about Jeff Gray, that's apparent.

Slama will likely never amount to anything, but there's a problem with the process here.
    Dangit, I was supposed to have put in a :-) thing in my first post so you didn't view my post as a personal attack. Hope you didn't.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast