Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sal's take on Son of Sal

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 61 Times in 38 Posts

Sal's take on Son of Sal

"He's a good player; he's one of the better defensive catchers, and his bat is a work in progress," Sal said.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    got a reference?

Hope that Toronto (where Salvatore is a "special assistant") trades for him then. Maybe the progress part in "work in progress" means that Drew with his career .497 MLB OPS might catch his daddy with his career .597 OPS. Just 100 points away.
    Last edited by Thrylos; 09-01-2012 at 05:48 PM.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sounds about right.

Liked 1,181 Times in 692 Posts
    What do you expect a dad to say?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer mikeee's Avatar
    Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
    Sal hit .300 one year, din't he?

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    "Get your **** together, Drew. You're embarrassing me."

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    I hope this is in jest.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeee View Post
    Sal hit .300 one year, din't he?
    Not in the majors (stats here) and a couple times was close in the minors (stats here) Career OPS .302 (but still better than Junior)
    -----

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post

Not in the majors (stats here) and a couple times was close in the minors (stats here) Career OPS .302 (but still better than Junior)
    That was his OBP; OPS was .597

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    He's just being a good dad

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post

That was his OBP; OPS was .597
    Thanks. Brainwhatever...
    -----

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 357 Times in 179 Posts
    If I ever have a son who makes 829k in 2 years doing something he loves, I would be pretty proud as well.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you are a Major Leaguer you are a Major Leaguer I get that, but at the same point when very few, if any of the fan base you play for understand why you are part of the team then you may not be much more then a Major Leaguer.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 346 Times in 182 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who cares what the fan base thinks!? Sal is right. Drew is one of the better defensive catchers in the game. And yeah, clearly offense isnt part of his game, but it's ok for Sal to put that nicely. Sal should be very proud!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeboo_22 View Post
    If you are a Major Leaguer you are a Major Leaguer I get that, but at the same point when very few, if any of the fan base you play for understand why you are part of the team then you may not be much more then a Major Leaguer.
    The casual fan probably could have cared less in 2010 when Butera caught a game because the team won. In the playoffs the team did not lose because of a Butera.
    The casual fan would probably say that Butera was the best of the worst and the team did not find a scrap heap player to replace him.
    Given those two thoughts, the casual fan has more of an understanding then of Butera being on the roster than the serious folks here.

Liked 2,200 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just yesterday... I had a 30 minute conversation with someone. 20 minutes of the conversation was about how responsible his daughter was.

For 20 minutes of that conversation. I heard about his 18 year old daughter. She's been on her first job for almost a year now. Apparently, he was talking with her boss and the boss was impressed with her. Always on time and a hard worker and now she is getting so many hours that it could cause a problem with her study time in college. The guy was beeming. Saying things like "I don't know where she gets that work ethic from... Must be her mom". "When she puts her mind on somethng... She gets it done.

20 minutes and I heard about every responsible thing she had done in the past two years.

The other ten minutes... I was telling him about how proud I am of my sons and I could have gone on longer if given the chance.

There are 750 MLB jobs total. For comparison... there are 3,500 Brain Surgeons in the USA.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 09-02-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 61 Times in 38 Posts
    I guess I don't agree that he's a "good player". In fact I think he's one of the worst in the history of the game.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatt Crapps View Post
    I guess I don't agree that he's a "good player". In fact I think he's one of the worst in the history of the game.
    I don't think anybody here is saying he is good in comparison to others who are on major league rosters. But as they say, even the person who graduates last in their class from medical school is still called Doctor.

I'm also not sure what the point of posting this quote was in the first place. If it was to generate a discussion about how bad Drew is, then do we really have to start that discussion with picking apart a proud father's understandable statement?

Liked 2,200 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatt Crapps View Post
    I don't think anybody here is saying he is good in comparison to others who are on major league rosters. But as they say, even the person who graduates last in their class from medical school is still called Doctor.

I'm also not sure what the point of posting this quote was in the first place. If it was to generate a discussion about how bad Drew is, then do we really have to start that discussion with picking apart a proud father's understandable statement?
    Exactly... It's a questionable way to make your point that Drew Butera is bad.

From the perspective of a father. It would be hard to keep the pride from busting out. I thought his quote was very measured in consideration.

Taking the father out of the conversation. Drew is on the squad because he can play defense and he isn't considered a prospect. He can spend time on the bench and serve that third catcher role. You don't have to worry about stagnating his future so much with bench time.

He's an insurance policy that Gardy needs. Gardy isn't comfortable having Doumit or Mauer DH because it would compromise the DH position should one of the two get hurt during a game.

Now personally, I don't believe that is necessary. Having a third catcher is crazy in my mind but Gardy has exactly 921 more wins as a MLB Manager than I do. (Although, I have less losses and I have more posts on Twins Daily).

I'm not a Butera Fan... how can anybody be a fan really... But... I appreciate Butera in the context of this team under Gardenhire. Butera is the 25th guy on a 25 man roster. HIs presence on the roster gives Gardy the peace of mind to DH Doumit and Mauer and this keeps Doumit out of the OF for the most part and gives Ben Revere playing time and Ben has done well. Defense is improved and Doumit is in the lineup with Revere.

So... It can be argued by me and I assume some others that Butera (despite his need for hitting improvement) actuallly helps this club.

Isn't that what you want from a 25th guy on the roster... You don't expect him to be... THEE Guy... You simply hope his presence can help your ball club.

And that doesn't even consider his defense skills, ability to call a game and work with the pitchers and the role (I assume) he plays in the film room and in the bullpen.
    Last edited by Riverbrian; 09-02-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Liked 3,012 Times in 1,280 Posts
    The "25th man" on a team carrying 12 (or 13!) pitchers needs to do more than give the manager a warm fuzzy.

Make no mistake...having Drew Butera soak up a roster spot costs the Twins in multiple ways. It doesn't "give playing time" to anybody, and keeps a useful player off the roster...leading to, for example, Pedro Florimon hitting for himself as the tying run in the ninth inning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast