Thread: Span to DL after game

Span to DL after game

announced Gardy postgame....according move to be announced tomorrow
    lil surprised with Sept 1 callups a day away

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seriously, it's like the Twins DL moves are a farce. I may need to write one. Theater of the absurd. Span to the DL on August 30th? I couldn't have made that up.

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 115 Times in 82 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    announced Gardy postgame....according move to be announced tomorrow
    lil surprised with Sept 1 callups a day away
    Hahaha. What on earth!? How has this team not corrected this problem by now? It's past the point of ridiculous.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,528 Times in 799 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    Seriously, it's like the Twins DL moves are a farce. I may need to write one. Theater of the absurd. Span to the DL on August 30th? I couldn't have made that up.
    It's baffling, for sure. What makes it even more baffling is that Span came back and played pretty well before "getting injured" again.

What the hell. Can we just blame everybody for this one, including Span himself?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 29 Times in 16 Posts
    This is very low on the list of things that bother me. They seem to be caught between trying to get a guy to play and not upsetting Rochester too much as their season was winding down and they were fighting for a playoff spot.

When they are 20 games under .500 in late August don't think it is a huge deal if they miscalculate by a week or so. They still have Butera on the roster, obviously they aren't super concerned about all 25 roster spot.
    Papers...business papers.

Better late than never for this. Perhaps Gardy got tired of looking at his bench in the 9th inning and saying, "Darn it, we don't have a pinch-hitter for Florimon (or Casilla or Dozier or Carroll or light-hitting infielder du jour)." I've certainly grown weary of it. Carrying Butera and 13 pitchers way too often hasn't helped.

will actually goin on DL hurt Span's value this offseason?? Guess it doent matter if he's not able/willing to play the rest of the yr

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The whole point of the 15-day DL is to free up a 25-man spot in case of an injury. Starting September, the 25-man roster goes away, and putting Span on the 15-day DL accomplishes exactly nothing.

Oh, my head! It hurts!

P.S. Didn't Bud Selig call us one of the best organizations in baseball just yesterday?

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It's not the effect that bothers me. It's that it is a sympton of a larger problem, and it's one that has a huge effect on the team. For instance: Pavano. Had they handled that back when they knew there was a problem (or discovered it earlier) maybe he has a few good months late in the year instead of a few crappy months early in the year. Maybe he brings back a prospect or two. Or Baker. He clearly had this issue last August, bur rather than deal with it over the offseason, they deal with it in April. It's been crazy.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 341 Times in 217 Posts
    It does seem strange but maybe they plan on shutting him down and put him on the 60-day. Maybe they plan on calling up several guys they don't currently have on the 40-man. Still, can't imagine there are four guys not already on the 40-man who the Twins would want to call up.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can see where it can bug people, this lack of action in the face of fact. But my question is, is this a Twins issue or a baseball wide issue. Does this happen within the industry or is it just the Twins who seem to miscalculate the severity of injuries or listen to the pressurs of outside voices (ie..players, media, fans.) not wanting players to use the DL as a crutch and tough it out and play through the pain. Seems I heard a lot of that last year from folks during our hallmark 2011 campaign.

Is it just baseball, does basketball, football or hockey do similar things. I don't know this answer. But before I back the bus over the Twins FO a second, thrid or fourth time, they live under the bus it seems, I would like to see some stats on average time a Major Leaguer spends out of the lineup before be placed on DL. (My guess is the Twins lead in that catagory, but I am not sure.) Elias have that some where? Someone must put numbers to this somewhere.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It gets old, and yes Span deserves some of the blame, but at the same time if the medical staff is giving him the green light to play then its more their fault.

Something needs to get fixed, I don't know if its the medical staff, Gardy or the front office, but it needs to stop. The Twins are risking players future with these decisions and its not just 1 or 2 outliers its been numerous players of all levels from prospects, journey men and veterans. That says something, and not anything good.

Quote Originally Posted by John Bonnes View Post
    It's not the effect that bothers me. It's that it is a sympton of a larger problem, and it's one that has a huge effect on the team. For instance: Pavano. Had they handled that back when they knew there was a problem (or discovered it earlier) maybe he has a few good months late in the year instead of a few crappy months early in the year. Maybe he brings back a prospect or two. Or Baker. He clearly had this issue last August, bur rather than deal with it over the offseason, they deal with it in April. It's been crazy.
    Baker was fine MN docs said, it was that he couldnt pitch with pain and that he had to quit babying his arm/elbow. That was the best diagnosis of all time

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 752 Times in 396 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    It does seem strange but maybe they plan on shutting him down and put him on the 60-day. Maybe they plan on calling up several guys they don't currently have on the 40-man. Still, can't imagine there are four guys not already on the 40-man who the Twins would want to call up.
    This is about the only reason that makes any possible sense here.

It's essential that they get someone called up tomorrow, so they can put him on the playoff roster!
    "There are only two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Liked 1,210 Times in 702 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    P.S. Didn't Bud Selig call us one of the best organizations in baseball just yesterday?
    Pretty sure that Bud meant that in the they make money hands over fists and don't cause me any problems in the Commissioner's office sort of way

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Will somebody please fill me in because I am sure that I missed something. In general, why would there be apprehension to put somebody on the DL? I don't understand. Is there a negative effect that can happen if you do that too quickly and their "injury" turns out to not merit a DL stint?

Is it simply that if you do that then a minor league player must come up to fill the spot and therefore mess up the team's lineup that they leave behind?

Thanks.

dont know if this is it, but ESPN 1500 says that Matt Carson (whom it hints could be the move) couldnt be called up till Sept 3 (must spend 10 days in minors) unless a player is put on the DL.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    According to 1500ESPN.com, Span was put on to the DL so the Twins could call up Matt Carson again, not because of mismanagement of the injury.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 29 Times in 16 Posts
    I also wonder if this might open a chance for Hicks to be brought up. I still think it is a long shot, but with Span out for at least another 10 days that would open up some playing time. Still probably more likely they give Parmelee the majority of at bats in RF.
    Papers...business papers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast