Thread: Lame Duck Manager Gardenhire

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

Lame Duck Manager Gardenhire

So with Gardenhire only under contract through 2013 (thank god for that), what will the great minds do about his future?

1. Let him manage 2013 and then decide what you want to do after that season.
    2. Fire him.
    3. contract extension.
    4. He just walks away after this season and retires.

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    So with Gardenhire only under contract through 2013 (thank god for that), what will the great minds do about his future?

2. Fire him.
    3. contract extension.
    Nobody has any comments?

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hey Darin, don't take offense to the lack of responses. Tonight was not the night for your thread to inspire some thoughts and comments. 2 days ago it might have blown up. I guess it is the manic nature of this site. My choices are the following:

#3 is likely
    #4 is my alternate

I do believe a change in the Manager and his coaching staff could be a good thing, but the chances of that are not so good in my opinion.

2. Fire him.
    3. contract extension.
    Nobody has any comments?
    What we'd really like is your opinion on the JJ Hardy trade... or perhaps the deal that sent Ramos to the Nats for some reliever...

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 613 Times in 329 Posts

2. Fire him.
    3. contract extension.
    Nobody has any comments?
    Dead horse

Liked 115 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In the past, they've always extended it by a year so he isn't a lame duck. If I had to handicap what will happen, I'd say it would go like this...

90% Extension
    7% - no extension and ride it out
    2% - He walks away
    1% - He's fired.

I'm probably understaing the likelihood of an extension just because I wanted us whole numbers. 95/4.9/.1/.01 might be better.

Liked 358 Times in 203 Posts
    I think there are really only 2 choices -- an extension or he walks away. At least publicly, I don't think he'll be fired.

I know Gardenhire is stubborn but I really think that if Ryan made it clear that he was going to fire him, Gardenhire would walk away instead (in part because I think Gardenhire is truly loyal to the organization and just wouldn't want to put them through firing him).

And I don't think "lame duck status" will work for either side. I think they'll make a decision - extension or resignation and that will be it.

Unfortunately(in my estimation) I think it'll be an extension.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you were him, how many more seasons like this could you take? I think Kelly stuck with it for much longer than most of us could. If the mgmt doesn't bring in any solid starting pitchers for next season, And if the team loses 90+ games again, I think Gardy walks away.

not good PR move to extend a guy after the last 2 seasons, but I think that is what they will do also.
    Dont think he'd retire (if fired)....would defintately see him taking another job soon

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is there such a thing, as a lame duck manager?

TLR won a WS in his final year with the Cards. Cox led the Braves to a 91-71 record in his final year.

Just sayin.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    not good PR move to extend a guy after the last 2 seasons, but I think that is what they will do also.
    Dont think he'd retire (if fired)....would defintately see him taking another job soon
    ---Yeah extending a guy after what will undoubtedly be consecutive 90+ loss seasons definitely sends the wrong message. I've always been a Gardy supporter, but I think it's time for a change. Both for Gardy and the Twns.

As Nick pointed out on Twitter earlier today, this season has been a Groundhog Day repeat of last year. Awful start, then a midseason surge, followed by a late season collapse.

Not that you can pin that all on Gardy. But while 1 season can be dismissed as an aberration, 2 is the start of a pattern, and a sure sign that it's time to change course.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think TK stuck around until somebody from within the ranks was ready to manage at the major league level. I think the Twins have several (ok, 2) candidates who they deem as ready to manage, bench coach Scotty Ullger and AAA manager Gene Glynn. My vote would be for Glynn and his staff (Bruno & Cuellar). But, in the end, it is Gardy's call and not anyone elses.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've never really blamed Gardy for the mess, but I think it is time for him to go. He'll be 55 this fall. He's made okay money, doesn't live high on the hog, and could just retire. Maybe that is just wishful thinking.

Liked 358 Times in 203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mnfireman View Post
    I think TK stuck around until somebody from within the ranks was ready to manage at the major league level. I think the Twins have several (ok, 2) candidates who they deem as ready to manage, bench coach Scotty Ullger and AAA manager Gene Glynn. My vote would be for Glynn and his staff (Bruno & Cuellar). But, in the end, it is Gardy's call and not anyone elses.
    If they promote Scott Ullger to manager, it may well be the end of my Twins-watching days. After more than 47 years.