Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

Thread: 2013 draft position

  1. #1

    2013 draft position

    twins have done a great job tanking for the second year in a row and would currently own the third overall pick next year would the season end today. unfortunately, the 2013 draft doesn't look particularly strong but there does seem to be a consensus that appel, stanek from arkansas and manaea from indy st are the top three arms available and we'd be guaranteed a shot at one of them at no. 3.

  2. #2
    Kharsten Whitson could also be the guy, but i'm all for best player available. Justin Williams an OF from Louisiana looks pretty impressive, corner of with a lot of pop. Then Austin Meadows and Clint Frazier could emerge as well.. Since it takes awhile for these guys to develop it won't matter what position they take.. good catcher prospects Jeremy Martinez and Zach Collins. Also SS Jan Hernandez could be the guy as well.. i love the draft..can't wait for it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    I wouldn't touch Appel with a ten foot pole. I'd pick somebody who I knew was going to sign.

  4. #4
    Appel will probably have to sign ,but i think he may get injured this year. Stanford has a history of abusing arms.. There was also a pitcher before who kept getting drafted and not signing. I can't remember the name, there was an ESPN article on him a few years back maybe.. Harrison?.. then he ended up being a bust..

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyhawaii View Post
    Appel will probably have to sign ,but i think he may get injured this year. Stanford has a history of abusing arms.. There was also a pitcher before who kept getting drafted and not signing. I can't remember the name, there was an ESPN article on him a few years back maybe.. Harrison?.. then he ended up being a bust..
    matt harrington. twins were rumoured to be in on him with the second overall pick but took adam johnson instead. if ever an agent should've been fired, it was harrington's.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyhawaii View Post
    Kharsten Whitson could also be the guy, but i'm all for best player available. Justin Williams an OF from Louisiana looks pretty impressive, corner of with a lot of pop. Then Austin Meadows and Clint Frazier could emerge as well.. Since it takes awhile for these guys to develop it won't matter what position they take.. good catcher prospects Jeremy Martinez and Zach Collins. Also SS Jan Hernandez could be the guy as well.. i love the draft..can't wait for it.
    both whitson and dylan covey will be former 1st rounders who're available to be re-drafted. whitson struggled with injuries this year but i don't think any of them were arm related so he could easily resurface at the top.

    meadows and frazier appear to be at the head of the prep crop but both are outfielders and even though you always go bpa, i think you jigger the formula this year make sure the bpa isn't a prep of'er.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    I wouldn't touch Appel with a ten foot pole. I'd pick somebody who I knew was going to sign.
    i have no problem picking him but have the twins ever picked a boras client in the draft?

  8. #8
    Senior Member Triple-A maxisagod's Avatar
    Posts
    310
    Like
    36
    Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vervehound View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    I wouldn't touch Appel with a ten foot pole. I'd pick somebody who I knew was going to sign.
    i have no problem picking him but have the twins ever picked a boras client in the draft?
    Yes... it did not go well.....

  9. #9
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,713
    Like
    1,159
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    I want a pitcher, since Ryan has stated he will not pay for an elite arm I free agency, the only way they will get one is in the draft.

  10. #10
    Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Posts
    2,421
    Like
    2
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Vervehound View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    I wouldn't touch Appel with a ten foot pole. I'd pick somebody who I knew was going to sign.
    i have no problem picking him but have the twins ever picked a boras client in the draft?
    That is the other reason I wouldn't touch him.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    540
    Like
    59
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vervehound View Post

    i have no problem picking him but have the twins ever picked a boras client in the draft?
    1996 - Travis Lee. He didn't want to play for the Twins. He had Boras tell the Twins to hold off on contract talks so Lee could concentrate on the Atlanta Olympic Games. The Twins did as requested and then they filed for free agency because the Twins didn't send out a contract within 15 days of the draft. He was granted free agency. The Twins have shied away from Boras ever since.

    The only other Boras client I can remember the Twins dealing with was Joe Crede, and that was because Crede insisted on the Twins over the reccomendation of Boras.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vervehound View Post

    i have no problem picking him but have the twins ever picked a boras client in the draft?
    1996 - Travis Lee. He didn't want to play for the Twins. He had Boras tell the Twins to hold off on contract talks so Lee could concentrate on the Atlanta Olympic Games. The Twins did as requested and then they filed for free agency because the Twins didn't send out a contract within 15 days of the draft. He was granted free agency. The Twins have shied away from Boras ever since.

    The only other Boras client I can remember the Twins dealing with was Joe Crede, and that was because Crede insisted on the Twins over the reccomendation of Boras.
    no - lee's agent was jeff moorad, who went back on a verbal pledge to terry ryan in order to get lee free agent status that year along with the prep pitchers. i believe the only boras client the twins have drafted is jason varitek.

  13. #13
    btw, i've done some preliminary sniffing around next year's top prospects an i've got to say that manaea jumps out to me. i prefer him over both appel and stanek. i'm guessing he's the number one overall pick.

  14. #14
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,105
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    48
    Liked 1,585 Times in 823 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    I see no reason to avoid Appel in the next draft. He has already refused to sign once. There's almost a zero chance he does it again. That would be madness.

  15. #15
    Senior Member All-Star James's Avatar
    Posts
    1,258
    Like
    278
    Liked 132 Times in 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I see no reason to avoid Appel in the next draft. He has already refused to sign once. There's almost a zero chance he does it again. That would be madness.
    Agreed. I believe the only reason he didn't sign was because he fell to #6. If he were #1, he would have signed. He's not going to hold out again. He's a senior this year, so if he doesn't sign, the only thing he could really do is go play independent ball somewhere for the year until he could enter the draft again, or sign as a free agent. Either way, that delays his entry into affiliated ball by another year. Deciding not to sign looks like he's taking the gamble that he will be drafter higher next year.
    You can come up with statistics to prove anything. Forty percent of all people know that.

  16. #16
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    2,676
    Like
    303
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    Tim Belcher was also a Boros client way back when who refused to sign with the Twins.

  17. #17
    Banned Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    636
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ryan Stanek or nothing!!

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    Ryan Stanek or nothing!!
    might want to learn his actual name if you're going to pimp him.

  19. #19
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,840
    Like
    10
    Liked 64 Times in 41 Posts
    I like the talk but it is way early for this right? At this point last year was Buxton even really on anyone's radar? And he was the best player in the draft.

    Also, the college SS's that everyone was high on at this point ended up dropping quite a bit. People will emerge.
    Papers...business papers.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    540
    Like
    59
    Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vervehound View Post

    no - lee's agent was jeff moorad, who went back on a verbal pledge to terry ryan in order to get lee free agent status that year along with the prep pitchers. i believe the only boras client the twins have drafted is jason varitek.
    My bad, you're right, it was Moorad. Lee ended up with Boras later.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.