Thread: The Chicago Cubs

Liked 709 Times in 456 Posts
    Blog Entries

The Chicago Cubs

I'll post National Leauge Teams and Bark can do the American League.

Is Rizzo destined for stardom? Will he have any support in the future? Will Theo Epstein turn this team around? It looks god awful right now but they made asome moves this year with you'd assume more to come. Brett Jackson and Josh Vitters haven't exactly exploded on to the scene. Vizcaino was picked up from Atlanta... After that the Cubs are pretty pitching poor on the farm.

What has Epstein gotten himself into? How long will the North siders have to wait?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Like the Twins it may take for ever, unless they spend some money.

Vitters and Jackson both have contact issues so they may struggle but maybe will get better when they see more major league pitching.. I think Rizzo will be good. I'd rather have Epstein or Hoyer run the Twins.. Cubs got some good talent in the minors. I think Javier Baez will be a star.. then Albert Almora and Jorge Soler should come along. Cubs do need more pitching though..

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 62 Times in 43 Posts
    Epstein is building from within, much like he did when he built up Boston, but he will have some bad contracts to get rid of first. I do like every trade they made this summer. I understand people barking about not getting the Delgado for Dempster deal done, but as we saw, the Braves were interested in more than just Dempster, and those rumors were likely nowhere near a completed deal. Once Dempster invoked his rights, his market was limited, and they got a high-upside guy for him (very low ceiling as well, which is why he's not a monstrous prospect). The only thing I see that they could have done different at the deadline would have been packaging Dempster and Soto together to the Rangers for a better prospect, but then again, most of the world at the time thought the Tigers got a great deal getting a guy who put them into the playoffs in 1987. The guy they gave away wasn't greatly heralded, but John Smoltz will likely see his name enshrined in Cooperstown. Sometimes you have to take a step back to see the whole process.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I'll post National Leauge Teams and Bark can do the American League.
    RB - I'll get on it after work!

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The North Siders have a couple nice pieces to build around (Castro, Rizzo, Samardzija), but It will take some time to get this ball club steered in the right direction. If I remember correctly - Lord Theo Epstein said they were not going to cut any corners and they were going to do it the right way and build from within. The nice thing for the Cubs is that once they get their farm system on the right path they have some money to play with in Free Agency. I feel pretty confident Theo and his Band of Merry Men will get the job done in Chi-Town... It's just going to take 3+ years. Patience is the key!