Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Aaron Bates vs. Steve Pearce

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries

Aaron Bates vs. Steve Pearce

Let's assume that Parmelee doesn't make the Twins roster and instead starts in Rochester. Then what happens between Aaron Bates and Steve Pearce? I assume neither is sent down to AA? The two are eerily similar. Bates was with the team last year, while Pearce is the newcomer. Any idea what is likely to happen here?

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Twitter
    @nnelson9
    Liked 85 Times in 30 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good question. Parmelee has played the outfield a bit, and it sounds like the Twins have been giving Pearce some run at third base early in camp, so it's possible they could send all three to Triple-A and have them rotate between 1B/3B/DH/OF. I have to think the opportunity is ripe for Pearce or Bates to make the 25-man roster though, especially with the Morneau uncertainty and with Gardy talking about wanting to have some pinch-hitting weapons.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 372 Times in 197 Posts
    Blog Entries
    On my podast Tuesday night, Bates said that he was a catcher until his last year in college. He said he still goes and catches bullpens when needed in spring training. He should try to get some time behind the plate. I think all three of them go to AAA and move around, like Nick said. Bates has primarily played 1B, but he spent a full season as a LF as well. Pearce has played all over. I think Parmelee gets the prospect status meaning most of the play at 1B.

I think all three of them will be in AAA

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 119 Times in 65 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You keep all three somewhere. Call it "Mornsurance".

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If Bates does not make the team (and I hope he does) he can be the 1B/DH in Rochester, alternating with Parmelee. He did that several times last season when Jeff Baily was with the Red Wings, with Baily being the main 1B. Pearce can play OF some and some 3B. Not sure who the 3B in Rochester will be at this point, maybe Chang, but still it will be a revolving door there
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Forgot about Burroughs... he will be the 3B in Rochester
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    On my podast Tuesday night, Bates said that he was a catcher until his last year in college. He said he still goes and catches bullpens when needed in spring training. He should try to get some time behind the plate. I think all three of them go to AAA and move around, like Nick said.

I've never seen Bates play, but I think its safe to assume if he could catch at a Major league level, he would certainly be playing there.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Between the two you have to keep Pearce due to his ability to play more than one postion. Poor man's Cuddyer (hopefully)

Senior Member All-Star Shane Wahl's Avatar
    Liked 124 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bates has also played LF for significant time. The Twins shifting to 11 pitchers in May would help resolve this, although I expect Pearce to be behind Carson and Burroughs.