Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Arizona D-Backs

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries

Arizona D-Backs

I like this team. Lots of good pitching or at least the potential to be good. I think Gibson is a don't screw around with me Manager and I think that might be why Drew is out the door and others have been moved this year. It could also be why Justin Upton is rumored to be available. I think they are building something in the desert. It's gonna be good and it may last a little while.

Or they are impatient and they over cook the soup and it ends in disaster.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    The issue I have is exactly why Upton is available. Gibson is a very brash manager, and because few pitchers are ever "stars", that will work out fine with his pitchers, but he seems to bristle "stars", and that goes back to his time as a coach in Detroit as well. Right now, outside of Upton, they don't have a "star" player, but they have a solid lineup with Montero, Goldschmidt, Hill, Young, and Kubel. It will be interesting to see how the pitching matures with the lineup already in their "prime" years.

I do like Kevin Towers' ability to get maximum value for a player when he trades, so if he does move Upton, I have a feeling there would be a very good return for the team.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 389 Times in 204 Posts
    The Diamondbacks are going to have a sick rotation over the next few years. Its a brutal division though.

Blog Entries
    Justin Upton is the kind of player everyone wants and at his age is the kind of player that no one would ever give up.

There has to be a personality clash going on. It's the only think that makes sense. The team doesn't need to rebuild... They are close.

I would love to have Bauer, Miley, Skaggs, Corbin in the Twins Org. I'd be happy with just one.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    Love that young staff, I was begging for a trade for Skaggs last offseason or during this year....
    Lighten up Francis....

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 134 Times in 82 Posts
    Upton is a hard player to figure out. He has tons of potential and has been pretty good as a youngster but I think the rift comes from a bad attitude and he dogs it some. This has nothing to do with Gibson not working well with stars. It's easy to be critical of the manager but I find it refreshing that a player can't get away with crap because that infects the whole team.

You forgot to mention two of their better arms (Bradley and Chafin). A few problems with walks but they do have considerable upside.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    Upton is a hard player to figure out. He has tons of potential and has been pretty good as a youngster but I think the rift comes from a bad attitude and he dogs it some. This has nothing to do with Gibson not working well with stars. It's easy to be critical of the manager but I find it refreshing that a player can't get away with crap because that infects the whole team.

You forgot to mention two of their better arms (Bradley and Chafin). A few problems with walks but they do have considerable upside.
    Oh yeah... I'd take them as well... Left them off because I was worried about Carpal Tunnel from typing the lengthy list of Upside pitching in the Arizona farm system.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kab21 View Post
    I agree that I'd rather have a manager who won't take the BS, and Upton's case is different than his issues with Pudge and Magglio in Detroit, but still that reputation is there, which is why I mentioned it.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!