Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jason Vargas

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

Jason Vargas

He is on waivers. Any chance the Twins claim him? and if they do, what are the chances that they work out a trade with the Mariners?

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 45 Times in 31 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Great post.. I was thinking the same thing earlier when I heard about it. The twins have first crack at him due to their record. I don't think it would hurt to at least put in the claim and see what happens. Find out what they want for him. Worst case they pull him off waivers. He has 1 year of team control after this season and if we can get him for cheap we might be able to make a Paul Maholm type trade next year at the deadline.

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 867 Times in 557 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JP3700 View Post
    Great post.. I was thinking the same thing earlier when I heard about it. The twins have first crack at him due to their record. I don't think it would hurt to at least put in the claim and see what happens. Find out what they want for him. Worst case they pull him off waivers. He has 1 year of team control after this season and if we can get him for cheap we might be able to make a Paul Maholm type trade next year at the deadline.
    Exactly spot on. I can't understand why there was any disagreement when discussing this option earlier this evening. The Twins are in the perfect position to pick up outright bargains relative to pursuing pitchers in the FA market (who of course, are accompanied by their over-promising agents). Given the demonstrated trade value for veterans in July and August, they could already have bolstered and/or set up 2 or 3 legitimate SPs for the 2013 staff with little lost except B- or lower prospects to teams who have been anxiously prioritizing the shedding of payroll anchors on their 2012 rosters. By not participating in this current buyer's market, they have set themselves up to be outbid in the offseason for anything other than Marquis-level retreads, never-weres or never-wills. (I'd definitely pass on Millwood, too old and Scott Boras as an agent)

As I've written previously, missing out on Maholm and others- with the chance of flipping or keeping them after a one-year deal was a huge overlook by the Twins this past season.
    Last edited by jokin; 08-28-2012 at 01:52 AM.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    He is on waivers. Any chance the Twins claim him? and if they do, what are the chances that they work out a trade with the Mariners?
    Glunn, myself and others discussed the Mariners as a trade partner last week during the Mariners sweep of the Twins. Gotta think you could get 3 superior arms ( a combination of a ML pitcher like Vargas and a prospect or two (How about James Paxton and Carter Capps/Stephen Pryor?) from the relatively pitching-rich Mariners in exchange for very little, the Mariners need bats, some combination involving Revere and/or Plouffe/Parmelee with another high-ceiling Class A prospect thrown in?
    Last edited by jokin; 08-28-2012 at 02:12 AM.

Liked 2,304 Times in 1,295 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    Glunn, myself and others discussed the Mariners as a trade partner last week during the Mariners sweep of the Twins. Gotta think you could get 3 superior arms ( a combination of a ML pitcher like Vargas and a prospect or two (How about James Paxton and Carter Capps/Stephen Pryor?) from the relatively pitching-rich Mariners in exchange for very little, the Mariners need bats, some combination involving Revere and/or Plouffe/Parmelee with another high-ceiling Class A prospect thrown in?
    I don't see the Mariners giving up any of those top 3 arms. Hultzen, Walker and Paxton are the ticket back to contention.

Yes they will be looking for hitting but they will acquire it without giving up the arms or else they will be spinning their wheels.

Vargas... On the other hand... They will give him up for offense. No doubt.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 380 Times in 201 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Vargas isn't exactly a 'cheap' option. The soft-tosser is projected to make $8.1 million in 2013 according to MLB Trade Rumors. I'm not saying he's not worth it, and he would likely be the Twins top starter today, but I think I'd rather go the free agent way since it wouldn't require giving up anything in return.

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 348 Times in 169 Posts
    The easy part is we have the first claim and the Mariners are in town. Ryan just needs to walk into the Mariners box and make a deal before he even makes the claim. If he is not willing to give up something for him and the chance to kick start improving the rotation for next year I'm at a loss as to why. Nothing is free you give up something to get it, the cost of quality FA pitching is very high and his salary next year will fit in the Pavano 8m slot. DO something please!

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 394 Times in 208 Posts
    Id give them Benson for him. Actually nevermind.
    I'm not sure who I would give up, but it wouldn't be for anyone of significant value.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Vargas isn't exactly a 'cheap' option. The soft-tosser is projected to make $8.1 million in 2013 according to MLB Trade Rumors. I'm not saying he's not worth it, and he would likely be the Twins top starter today, but I think I'd rather go the free agent way since it wouldn't require giving up anything in return.
    Which free agent pitchers would you put at the level of Vargas? I don't see a lot of solid starters on the market, a lot of so so guys but not a lot of quality.
    How much do you expect the quality guys to cost and will they have to over pay for those guys to get them to sign with a last place team?
    Just because we want a free agent doesn't mean they will want us. After all a bird in the hand.........

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Which free agent pitchers would you put at the level of Vargas? I don't see a lot of solid starters on the market, a lot of so so guys but not a lot of quality.
    How much do you expect the quality guys to cost and will they have to over pay for those guys to get them to sign with a last place team?
    Just because we want a free agent doesn't mean they will want us. After all a bird in the hand.........
    It is hard not to agree with Mr. Smith. We have first crack. Take it. Please go after him. I think he has great stats for a pitcher on team that does not score runs.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    Vargas is a one-hit wonder. No thanks, I don't have interest in any free agents or trades for starters making that kind of money with stats that suspicious. This guy is time bomb waiting to explode in another uniform, he doesn't strike anyone out and gives up a ton of HR. His splits away from Safeco are alarming. 2 points higher ERA away and he's given up 23 HR on the road compared to 6 at home this year. Do the Twins really want a guy who is 3rd in the league in HR allowed when he spends half of his time at Safeco? If the Twins are going to be giving a pitcher $8 million next year, he better be able to top a 6.0 K/9. Vargas has disaster written all over him for who ever acquires this journyman having a career year.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,607 Times in 834 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Vargas is a one-hit wonder. No thanks, I don't have interest in any free agents or trades for starters making that kind of money with stats that suspicious. This guy is time bomb waiting to explode in another uniform, he doesn't strike anyone out and gives up a ton of HR. His splits away from Safeco are alarming. 2 points higher ERA away and he's given up 23 HR on the road compared to 6 at home this year. Do the Twins really want a guy who is 3rd in the league in HR allowed when he spends half of his time at Safeco? If the Twins are going to be giving a pitcher $8 million next year, he better be able to top a 6.0 K/9. Vargas has disaster written all over him for who ever acquires this journyman having a career year.
    Agreed. The guy might have success at TF based on his success at Safeco but it's far from a given. He's having a good year with pretty mediocre (or bad) peripherals.

Vargas is the type of guy you pick up on the cheap after he posts a 4.50 ERA and then you cross your fingers, hoping for a rebound. He's not the guy you pick up after a 3.50 ERA because he's going to be overpaid and he's almost certainly going to regress.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicksaviking View Post
    Agreed. The guy might have success at TF based on his success at Safeco but it's far from a given. He's having a good year with pretty mediocre (or bad) peripherals.

Vargas is the type of guy you pick up on the cheap after he posts a 4.50 ERA and then you cross your fingers, hoping for a rebound. He's not the guy you pick up after a 3.50 ERA because he's going to be overpaid and he's almost certainly going to regress.
    I can see what you are saying. What are we looking at having to give up/pay for him? Let me do some homework before getting to far ahead of myself.

My issue is that I have serious concerns about the twins getting any pitching this off season. Generally I am optimistic and here I remain very worried. Vargas is no savior and has questionable #s but the innings are good and the whip seems to be in the ballpark. If they get him for a reasonable deal then that is one decent piece and they can go out and continue looking for better in the off season. If they don't do something like this then what will they do?

With our outstanding starting rotation it might be hard to find a spot for Vargas. You guys do understand we have the worst starting pitching in the majors?

Junior Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's 6-1 in his last 10 starts with a 2.54 ERA. Should reallly be a no-brainer. Take over Pavano's salary. Who cares about the number of HRs as long as he gets outs. Bert Blyleven gave up a lot of HRs too and he's in the HOF.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    With our outstanding starting rotation it might be hard to find a spot for Vargas. You guys do understand we have the worst starting pitching in the majors?
    It has less to do with the Twins rotation and everything to do with buying high on Vargas. You're paying for a guy who will almost certainly regress from his current numbers but the Mariners will almost certainly expect a return in line with his current performance. That's a bad baseball decision.

The Mariners would probably start the discussion with Parmelee. That's not a place the Twins should consider going at this point. Not for one year of a guy who is going to regress.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP View Post
    My issue is that I have serious concerns about the twins getting any pitching this off season. Generally I am optimistic and here I remain very worried. Vargas is no savior and has questionable #s but the innings are good and the whip seems to be in the ballpark. If they get him for a reasonable deal then that is one decent piece and they can go out and continue looking for better in the off season. If they don't do something like this then what will they do?
    With Marcum, Liriano, Greinke, Jackson, Sanchez, and others hitting the FA market this winter, there is really no excuse for the Twins not to pick up one of those guys in the $12-15m per year range in a 3-5 year deal. They have the money and they have the need. History be damned, they need to pick up one of those guys.

With Marcum, Liriano, Greinke, Jackson, Sanchez, and others hitting the FA market this winter, there is really no excuse for the Twins not to pick up one of those guys in the $12-15m per year range in a 3-5 year deal. They have the money and they have the need. History be damned, they need to pick up one of those guys.
    There may not be a good excuse for not signing one of them but TR has already said that it's not the way he plans to go. Unless Ryan suddenly decides to change his MO and spend big in free agency for the first time how else do you fill out the rotation?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 384 Times in 235 Posts
    There may not be a good excuse for not signing one of them but TR has already said that it's not the way he plans to go. Unless Ryan suddenly decides to change his MO and spend big in free agency for the first time how else do you fill out the rotation?
    If you're going to be making trades, it better be for younger and higher upside arms. Why waste more time with another nobody like Vargas AND give up players because of a percieved higher value? Ryan isn't going to pay for free agents just to spend money, but by the same token, he shouldn't be making trades just for the sake of making trades. If you get Vargas, his salary is going to force the club to look at him as a top of the rotation arm, yet every red flag this year, and everything that he has done previous to 2012 points to him being a #5. That's the same problem the Twins have faced the last two years. They have guys they expected to perform as a 1-2 starter and and up getting #5 production. It's crippling the team and it needs to stop.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    It has less to do with the Twins rotation and everything to do with buying high on Vargas. You're paying for a guy who will almost certainly regress from his current numbers but the Mariners will almost certainly expect a return in line with his current performance. That's a bad baseball decision.

The Mariners would probably start the discussion with Parmelee. That's not a place the Twins should consider going at this point. Not for one year of a guy who is going to regress.
    If the Mariners are starting the discussion with Parmelee, it largely explains why they haven't been able to move him yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast