Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Atlanta Braves

Liked 682 Times in 439 Posts
    Blog Entries

The Atlanta Braves

Thoughts on the Braves... What defines them this year? How does the future look?

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hey RB.

For this season I think they are in line for playoff birth. They have a nice team. Some injuries have set them back a little. Losing Beachy cannot help the cause. When Larry is playing he has been damn good. Heyward, Freeman and Prado are doing their fair share. For the most part it seems they are doing enough to keep it going despite minus performances from McCann and Uggla. As of now they would be my favorite to take the one of the Wild Card Spots.

I would think their future has at least some shine to it. Heyward and Freeman present a nice future offensively, along with their handful of young starters - Hanson, Beachy, Minor, Delgado. Not to mention their killer somewhat youthful bullpen of Kimbrel, Venters and O' Flaherty.

Why do you ask?

Blog Entries
    I just started with the Braves cuz Atlanta is first alphabetically. I think some discussion of other teams would be interesting. Get out of the Twins bubble... Stretch our legs.

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I just started with the Braves cuz Atlanta is first alphabetically. I think some discussion of other teams would be interesting. Get out of the Twins bubble... Stretch our legs.
    I am on board! The last couple of weeks have been super tough as well as a tough loss this evening. Maybe this would be a good exercise for all of TD.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
    This is an area where I can be of assistance. LOL!

Technically, Arizona and Anaheim would be first alphabetically, but I'll take it!

The Braves are one of the youngest teams in MLB. They have a ton of youth in the lineup and rotation. Their biggest issue is a manager with some of the most poor decisions in MLB this year. When Bobby V makes the comment "I don't know another manager who would do that in that spot." while reviewing your game, you know you're in trouble. I can go position by position quickly if you'd like...

Catcher - Brian McCann is having an out of character poor season, led primarily by a horrid BABIP this year. He has been one of the most consistent catchers in all of baseball the last 5 years, but he is also coming on 30 years of age and doesn't have a great body for long-term success at catcher. He is a free agent after 2013 (the Braves will most likely pick up his 2013 option), and that will lead to an interesting decision for the team. Christian Bethancourt is arguably the best defensive catcher in all of professional baseball, but his bat has progressed slowly. He is young, and he doesn't strike out an absurd amount, so it's more about pitch recognition, but at this point, his profile is beginning to look like a poor man's Yadi Molina, which isn't bad, but isn't quite the Yadi-plus everyone was assuming he'd be long term.

Infield - Freddie Freeman strikes out too much, but that's basically the only knock on his development in his second year. Dan Uggla has aged quickly in Atlanta, and he may be trade bait if any other team would step up with interest. If he fills his contract in Atlanta, he'll likely be moved off of 2B. Chipper will retire this year at the hot corner, ending 20 years of stellar play and one of the best switch-hitters of all time. Juan Francisco has played poorly in the field in spot duty, but when given back-to-back starts this season, he's been a very solid hitter and played good defense as well. More than likely Martin Prado will move back in to 3B. Andrelton Simmons flashed an amazing glove before his freak injury this year, and he should be a fixture at SS with a very solid upside with the bat for many years to come. He has been compared to a young Omar Vizquel, and that could be a great thing if you're the Braves for the next 10+ seasons. The Braves minor league system actually has a ton of depth up the middle, including solid 2B and SS prospects in their low minors, but the guy to keep an eye on for the 2013 squad is Joey Terdoslavich, who has a very smooth line drive swing when he's going right that could produce a high average hitter with 15-20 homers and 30+ doubles. He is still learning 3B and rough around the edges, but he's made big strides this year.

Outfield - Jason Heyward has recovered from his injury riddled 2011 to produce a 20/20 season in 2012. He has played tremendous defense in RF, and he may find himself moving to CF next year depending on how things work with Michael Bourn in free agency. Bourn has showed surprising power in 2012, but he's done so while having a drastically higher strikeout rate than any season in his past. Because of a likely 13+M price tag, the Braves may let Bourn walk in free agency and trade for a replacement or move Heyward over to CF. Martin Prado has produced a very good season this year in left, but he's likely destined to the infield in 2013. The Braves have a number of solid young outfielders in lower minors, but only Evan Gattis, who has one of the better stories in baseball, is in the upper levels with a chance to move to the big club in a starting role in 2013. Gattis is a power monster, but his contact is streaky. His back story is similar to Josh Hamilton's, and many have compared them in their production offensively as well, both nearly unstoppable when on and hard to keep on the field when they're off.

Rotation - The Braves have a ridiculous amount of pitching depth, but they lack a true ace. They may make a move for someone like Zack Greinke in the free agent market to head their rotation this offseason and use their depth to trade for a CF if they cannot resign Bourn. The Braves will have veterans Tim Hudson and Paul Maholm leading the rotation with young guns Mike Minor, Randall Delgado, Tommy Hanson, Kris Medlen, Julio Teheran, and Sean Gilmartin competing for other spots in the rotation. Jair Jurrjens is almost certainly going to be non-tendered, and Ben Sheets' success has likely given him the chance to price himself beyond the Braves' price range, unless he chooses to give a drastic discount again like he did this year.

Bullpen - This is an area of major depth for the Braves. Craig Kimbrel is arguably the best right handed reliever in baseball right now, and when Jonny Venters and Eric O'Flaherty are on, they're among the best back ends in the entire game. They're also all three well rested this year after being overused going into September last season. The Braves are also rich with bullpen arms along the way in the minors and the starters who don't find their way into the rotation can contribute in the bullpen as well.

Minors - The Braves have focused on up-the-middle offensive players, high-upside/high-risk right handed pitchers, and pitch-to-contact lefties. Their system has a ton of depth in pitching and middle infielders right now, though there are not the top-level prospects of the last few years as many of them have graduated to the major league roster and are contributing.

Management - The Braves made a change to Fredi Gonzalez after Bobby Cox's retirement, and his seat is currently very hot, in spite of the team's success in his tenure. Many players have been pushing for Eddie Perez, the former Atlanta backup catcher and current bullpen coach, to take the reigns, and something may happen in that area this offseason. The team took the unusual approach of hiring a dual hitting coach approach, hiring Greg Walker and Scott Fletcher away from the White Sox after the Braves went from the top team in the NL in walk percentage in 2010 to second-to-last in 2011 under Larry Parrish. The results have been very good, especially with youngsters like Heyward and Freeman, though with high strikeouts along with the higher BB rate this year. Roger McDowell is a solid pitching coach, working especially well with the bullpen and young starters.

Ownership/financial set up - Liberty Media has drastically cut the Braves spending, which has been going down drastically for nearly a decade since Ted Turner sold away his beloved Braves when AOL/Time Warner merged. Liberty has kept the payroll right around $90M for the last number of seasons. The word in Atlanta is that the Braves will be seeing a payroll in the $95-100M next season, which with the contracts coming off the books and the arbitration cases added, should leave $25-35M available for free agents and/or contract extensions. The Braves are in a very good spot with young players leading the roster and good payroll flexibility. Their biggest issue seemingly would be the Washington Nationals, who have built a tremendous load of young players and are willing to spend big on some solid free agents as needed, likely pursuing guys like Michael Bourn, BJ Upton, and Josh Hamilton, all guys who will likely be out of the Braves' spending range, which could be their biggest competitive detriment in the next 3-5 years.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    The Braves have always been a very good team that plays in the toughest division. but they still can win that div, the Nats arn't
    as great as people think.

Blog Entries
    Nice Ben...

Do you think Bourn will be a Brave next year? What kind of Money? Could the Braves be in the Market for a CF? If Prado heads back to 3b... The OF looks a little sketchy.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 772 Times in 423 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    The Braves have always been a very good team that plays in the toughest division.
    The NL East has its moments but in no way can it be compared to the AL East.

If the BoSox continue to falter and the Phillies rebound quickly (unlikely), that could change going forward but historically, the two divisions aren't even that close. The AL East has two of the top four spending teams in baseball and the best small market team in the game. The NL East has Philadelphia and a consistently solid Atlanta franchise.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 183 Times in 103 Posts
    The Braves will continue to suck and not win world series for the next 30 years, and it will be glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Nice Ben...

Do you think Bourn will be a Brave next year? What kind of Money? Could the Braves be in the Market for a CF? If Prado heads back to 3b... The OF looks a little sketchy.
    I believe he could be. They will have the money to make a major splash somewhere. Their openings will be CF and LF/3B (depending on where Prado plays) and while they don't need a starter, the opportunity to get an "ace" would be huge. They have big money to use on those openings and extending guys like Prado, Heyward, Kimbrel, Freeman, etc. (Mind you, big money for them, not big money for about 3/4 of the league now) They could certainly bring back Bourn, but they won't go 5 years on any free agent, so that could mean no Upton and no Greinke, but Bourn could go for a very solid 4 year deal around $55-60M with an option for a vesting 5th year (Frank Wren will only go beyond his "normal" years when it's a vesting option, not a player or team option). Without Bourn, they're definitely out of the Hamilton race and no way could they afford the money David Wright will get, though he has made some overtures to how much he loves the organization this year (which would allow Prado to stay in left). The best option would be to use their depth in MLB-ready pitching to acquire a CF and 3B/LF or sign a Cody Ross-esque guy for a short term signing if they believe Gattis or Terdoslavich would be ready sometime in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    The Braves will continue to suck and not win world series for the next 30 years, and it will be glorious.
    Did someone miss nap time this morning? Awwwww....

Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    The Braves have always been a very good team that plays in the toughest division.
    The NL East has its moments but in no way can it be compared to the AL East.

If the BoSox continue to falter and the Phillies rebound quickly (unlikely), that could change going forward but historically, the two divisions aren't even that close. The AL East has two of the top four spending teams in baseball and the best small market team in the game. The NL East has Philadelphia and a consistently solid Atlanta franchise.
    I will agree with this, but I will say that in the wild card era, 4 of the NL East's teams have appeared in the World Series, while only three from the AL East have, with 3 winning it from the NL East and only 2 winning from the AL East. The AL East has been very good at the top, but the NL East has had moments for every team in the division seemingly (nevermind that without the 94 strike, we might be discussing the Expos 1994 WS appearance as well). The AL East has absolutely had more overall success, but it's been very highly focused since the divisions have been at their current state.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maybe we should add one more stop to the Span trade list this winter, Do not know how many pitching prospects the Braves have that they could sell. Is this the same pitcher(Minor) who was with Detroit a few years ago. IF so would not want anything to do with him.

Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    No, there is just not another team I despise more then the Braves:
    1. Georgia is a cesspool of scumbags, rednecks and racists. Atlanta is even worse, have never visited such an awful city in all my life. The only redeeming quality the state has is Athens, and the water.
    2. Ted Turner is one of the 5 douchiest owners in all of sports (and that is saying something)
    3. The fans are the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    Maybe we should add one more stop to the Span trade list this winter, Do not know how many pitching prospects the Braves have that they could sell. Is this the same pitcher(Minor) who was with Detroit a few years ago. IF so would not want anything to do with him.
    Wow, no. Mike Minor is an up and coming lefty who has been arguably the best pitcher on the Braves in the second half of the season. Very different pitchers.

1. Georgia is a cesspool of scumbags, rednecks and racists. Atlanta is even worse, have never visited such an awful city in all my life. The only redeeming quality the state has is Athens, and the water.
    2. Ted Turner is one of the 5 douchiest owners in all of sports (and that is saying something)
    1. The Braves originated in Boston and played there for 70 years before moving to Milwaukee for 15 years and then to Atlanta. The team is no more Georgia than Evander Holyfield.
    2. Ted Turner has not been the owner of the team in the 2000s, so that's a very poorly placed sentiment.
    3. I could easily name 10-15 worse fan groups in baseball. Of course, you not liking the area likely skews any rational discussion you could have for the fans.

1. The Braves originated in Boston and played there for 70 years before moving to Milwaukee for 15 years and then to Atlanta. The team is no more Georgia than Evander Holyfield.
    2. Ted Turner has not been the owner of the team in the 2000s, so that's a very poorly placed sentiment.
    3. I could easily name 10-15 worse fan groups in baseball. Of course, you not liking the area likely skews any rational discussion you could have for the fans.
    1. The Twins didn't orginate in Minnesota techinically, since they were the Senators prior. I would argue that the Twins are very Minnesota. You are the one who seems to think there is some huge Braves fan base that still lives in Milwaukee and thus skews TV dollar deals or whatever. With that said, I think most Atlanta Braves fans would argue that the ATLANTA Braves are Georgia, just like Dodgers fans would claim the Dodgers are "Califonian" the Rangers are "texas" etc etc etc....
    2. Meh, Im sure he sold it to someone equally as douchey.
    3. I bet you couldn't.
    Last edited by SpiritofVodkaDave; 08-28-2012 at 04:03 PM.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
    Cesspool!! Cesspool!! Cesspool!!

1. The Twins didn't orginate in Minnesota techinically, since they were the Senators prior. I would argue that the Twins are very Minnesota. You are the one who seems to think there is some huge Braves fan base that still lives in Milwaukee and thus skews TV dollar deals or whatever. With that said, I think most Atlanta Braves fans would argue that the ATLANTA Braves are Georgia, just like Dodgers fans would claim the Dodgers are "Califonian" the Rangers are "texas" etc etc etc....
    2. Meh, Im sure he sold it to someone equally as douchey.
    3. I bet you couldn't.
    All equally subjective retorts with no evidence to back anything that you claimed. Typical expected response. I guess we'll just leave it at that.

Blog Entries
    I was kinda hoping for the state of the organization but the state of the state of Georgia is an interesting twist.

Ive been to Atlanta Twice. My sister lives there and she loves it. Can't get her to move back home.

The first visit... A giant cockroach or some really large bug... Almost the size of a bird... fell from the ceiling right into my sisters hair and she had no idea what happened so she ran around in circles punching her own head. My wife filmed it... But didn't catch the cockroach part. We play the video every x-mas... My sister running around punching herself in the head. It's really funny out of context.

The other thing I know is that they have big ass trees and people call you sugar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast