Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plouffe = Valencia part 2

Plouffe = Valencia part 2

I am worried that a small sample size is giving Twins fans false hope that they've found the 3B of the future. Is he just the 2nd coming of Danny Valencia?

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I see him as a temporary measure until a better option (Sano?) can be developed or acquired.

are some parallels for sure but Plouffe has shown solid power (ISO of .191 vs Danny's .133). At least there is something to 'hang your hat' on with trevor. If he doesnt stick at 3B, he's shown the ability to play other positions, something Danny didnt.

He has sown power. Now just needs consistency. If nothing else, he will be a modestly expensive utility guy until he reaches free agency and the Twins may have other choices by then.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 665 Times in 376 Posts
    Too soon to say. But this much is for sure - one month sure looks like a case of "which of these months is not like the others" game. I don't think we need Sesame Street to figure out which one.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    He has said his thumb isn't 100%, its clearly not 100%. I don't think he was ever considered a Valencia type of player. He is more of a .250 ba with 30 HR's then a guy who was going to hit .290 with 15 HR's. Plus he had more of a minor league track record then Valencia and has had highs and lows to some point before between AAA and the majors, both things that Valencia never really had. Now thats not to say he is going to be an All-Star plug him in at 3B for the next decade type of player. But I just don't see him as a Valencia type of player.

I didn't even want to click on this thread because I'm so afraid that this is exactly what's going to happen. I don't think we're going to see much more from Plouffe this year because of the two-day injury which still seems to be affecting his swing at the plate, but that's fine. Let's wait till next year until we make an official judgment on the kid.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 71 Times in 42 Posts
    I doubt Terry Ryan is convinced Plouffe is the 3B of the future.
    Papers...business papers.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 198 Times in 97 Posts
    I'm not "convinced" he's the 3B of the future. I am optimistic though - I think it will happen. He's a good player, and he can really square up on the ball. Add in Target Field's almost surprising friendliness to right-handers of his ilk, and I think he has a solid future. On top of that, add in the fact that he can play shortstop and outfield in a pinch, and I think that, worst case, if he's not the 3B of the future, he'll stick on the roster for a long while. Of course, he's got to stay healthy.

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'll give Plouffe more rope then I'd give Valencia. He plays the game or appears to.

That month wasnt just a hot streak... It was barely human and I don't think Plouffe was conscious while it was happening. However, if someone gets that hot... Keep trotting him out there because it might happen again.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    I'll give Plouffe more rope then I'd give Valencia. He plays the game or appears to.

That month wasnt just a hot streak... It was barely human and I don't think Plouffe was conscious while it was happening. However, if someone gets that hot... Keep trotting him out there because it might happen again.
    I would agree with Riverbrian. I would also agree that Ploufe is a completely different player than Valancia and the thumb is not well right now. Kudos for trying as best he can. Another year will tell if he can play regularly. If not, then they can trot out Romero for a half a year and make another frequent contributor happy someone got a chance though they will be another bust.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mk View Post
    I am worried that a small sample size is giving Twins fans false hope that they've found the 3B of the future. Is he just the 2nd coming of Danny Valencia?
    They are different types of players. Plouffe has more power and a lower BA.
    since he was a middle infielder with a strong but erratic arm i think he will have at least average defense.
    He has a stronger minor league track record and He was a first round pick so he does have good tools

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 218 Times in 138 Posts
    One thing I like about Plouffe was that, even before the season started, Ryan thought his bat would play in a corner position. I trust Ryan on that sort of thing so let's see how he does when he's healed up.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Plouffe is playing hurt. This is what happens when players play hurt.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Most players don't even miss a game, he was out a month for nottin.

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Plouffe was a first round pick so the expectations have been high for him since the beginning. He also showed some promise during his time in the minor leagues.

Valencia was a 19th round pick and he had some good seasons in the low minors that helped to get hopes up surrounding his future. But his slugging dropped significantly the higher he moved up the ladder.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At this point there are simply too many other holes to fill. Plouffe needs to be our 3b for 2013. What we get is what we get, better defense than Valencia with more power and similar ba/obp. We'll have to live with it and hope the starting pitching, middle relief, and middle infield are addressed.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,288 Times in 519 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Most players don't even miss a game, he was out a month for nottin.
    What?
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

I like Plouffe's attitude so much more than Valencia's. He is humble and hardworking, something that I don't think Valencia had. Besides, he isn't completely healthy. Give it time. His hot streak wasn't a fluke; we haven't seen the end of Plouffe.

Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    This is a dumb thread. Plouffe has been very unlucky this season with a low BABIP, high LD rate his average should be much better. Things will normalize at some point. When Dozier comes back up he will get some more time off and I bet that will help. Plouffe will be fine.
    I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it. Other than a good 50 games at AAA in 2011, Plouffe's minor league numbers don't seem impressive and a track record of the other 780 games are not as good as Valencia's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast