Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plouffe = Valencia part 2

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 301 Times in 179 Posts
    Blog Entries
    with the holes this team has, Plouffe is pretty far down on my list of things that need "fixing" this offseason. At worst he's earned his job for at least the first half of next year, and at best, he's a late bloomer that is going to be a very valuable asset for a while. It's quite possible that starting next year he's Danny Valencia part 2, but I don't think the front office can really worry about this for the time being.

You can statistically fluke your way to a high BA for a few months. It seems less likely that you can fake your way to 10 HRs in 22 games or whatever his crazy tear consisted of. A home run just isn't an accident. He clearly has something. Even if he were half the player he was during June and July he'd still be a permanent solution at 3B.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by snepp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Gun View Post
    Most players don't even miss a game, he was out a month for nottin.
    What?
    Most players playing non demanding defensive positions need a day every week or two. infielders (not first base) and catchers need more

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    When a high draft pick starts producing incredible power numbers in the majors, it isn't a fluke

Is Plouffe still suffering from a sore thumb or a low BABIP?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Plouffe is the 3B of the present, NOT the future. Sano is very clearly the 3B of the future,
    no one should have any question about that.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 176 Times in 101 Posts
    Plouffe is merely a placeholder at 3rd base until next June.
    It's 100% up to him to prove he is worth giving significant playing time at another position (OF, 1B) I wonder if they could have him work some innings at SS again?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 86 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Someone needed to (re)start a thread about Plouffe. He has been dreadful (I read somewhere 6-60) for quite a while. I have heard differing opinions about his work ethic and attitude, but the production hasn't been there lately. I think he should be given the rest of the year to see what his numbers can be, but if he continues to struggle, he has to be a candidate for a non-tender. I am presuming he is arb. eligible this winter.

I don't think Valencia was considered the third baseman of the future. He got lucky and then got a sophomore chance and failed. Plouffe was never considered the Twins third baseman of the future., He was a shortstop, and they decided he was far from perfect there, and switched him to the outfield. But then they needed someone at third, and he is adequate and gives them some power, but is so inconsistent. He is, at best, a bench bat and utility guy, which isn't what you expect a first rounder to be...but again, many first rounders never make the majors. The bigger question will be: is there any value in him now or in the future, or will he be forever a journeyman player, Again, someone the Twins should've maybe moved in the offseason or earlier this season. I don't see him starting in 2015...not even at first base.
    Joel Thingvall
    www.thingvall.com
    rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Oldgoat_MN's Avatar
    Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trevor Plouffe OPS by month: (thank you Baseball-Reference)
    April .681
    May .842
    June .879
    July .523
    Aug (so far) truly horrible in 24 at bats

Either May & June (131 PA) stats are a sign of what he can really do or the AL pitchers have figured him out and are throwing pitches he cannot hit.

Get that figured out and the answer regarding his future will reveal itself.
    Last edited by Oldgoat_MN; 08-12-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 301 Times in 179 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He's a placeholder with the luxury of being able to earn a permanent position somewhere before Sano is ready. At this point, I say he has about a year left to prove something. At that point, they can decide if he's a 1B, SS, OF, or whatever. Given his pop, he could stick around as a super utility type guy.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 338 Times in 192 Posts
    Considering most of the optimism about Plouffe was driven by a handful of at-bats last June, this shouldn't be that surprising. It's harder to ignore what he really is when you put a flukey month so far in the rearview mirror.

I still think he has potential bench value though.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 742 Times in 414 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    Considering most of the optimism about Plouffe was driven by a handful of at-bats last June, this shouldn't be that surprising. It's harder to ignore what he really is when you put a flukey month so far in the rearview mirror.

I still think he has potential bench value though.
    Well, he had another 30 game stretch this season with an OPS around .850. It's not all smoke and mirrors.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 338 Times in 192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Well, he had another 30 game stretch this season with an OPS around .850. It's not all smoke and mirrors.
    Absolutely, which is why he still has value. He's a streaky hitter who is exceptional against left-handed pitching. That's a useful piece in the hands of the right manager.

But most of the people who see him as more than that are resting it not on months like May or June this year, but more on his Ruthian stretch last year.

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 123 Times in 86 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good game for Plouffe tonight. Perhaps the slump is over.

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's only one way to prove this theory....
    in two years, Plouffe must be playing for the Baltimore Orioles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12