Thread: Would you rather...?

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries

Would you rather...?

Would you rather be in the position of the Kansas City Royals or the Minnesota Twins?

I thought this would be interesting because I really don't see Kansas City as a WS contender for at least a few years. I think it's almost a guarantee that Shields leaves and you can't expect Ervin Santana to keep dominating. In addition, their offense is lackluster and Butler has a questionable future. On the other hand, they are closer to the Fall Classic than us now obviously.
    Last edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse; 08-13-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 214 Times in 147 Posts
    They are the Twins in 2 years.....right?

If they are willing to sign a legit FA hitter next year, I think KC, I think. Depends on their willingness to sign a FA or two.

I expect their hitters to hit better. Their starting pitching could be a bit worse, and still be good. I don't know their minors enough to know if they have help coming or not.

This is harder than I thought. If I thought the current regime would sign legit FAs in MN, I might go MN......
    Lighten up Francis....

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts
    The Twins will pass the Royals next season and never look back.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by YourHouseIsMyHouse View Post
    Would you rather be in the position of the Kansas City Royals or the Minnesota Twins?

I thought this would be interesting because I really don't see Kansas City as a WS contender for at least a few years. I think it's almost a guarantee that Shields leaves and you can't expect Ervin Santana to keep dominating. In addition, their offense is lackluster and Butler has a questionable future. On the other hand, they are closer to the Fall Classic than us now obviously.
    I'm watching the MLB Network and they think the Royals are legit. I think they have a good chance to make it this year and they seem to think they can as well. They also said if Moore doesn't make the moves he made this offseason, no way they are near the playoff scene. I agree with that too.

Their offense is lackluster, but a lot of guys are under-performing based on last year...some are coming on now. I like them. I hope they make it.

And I'd rather be where they are now...they have time to rebuild the farm system and their position players are still young.
    Last edited by ThePuck; 08-13-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Pixel Monkey MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Liked 743 Times in 415 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Twins. I've made myself pretty clear on what I think of the Shields trade and unless the Royals find a way to acquire another Ervin Santana (people tend to ignore that he has been Shields' equal this season), their pitching staff is going to take a huge hit in 2014.

Plus, they have no money. That's always going to serious hinder the team's ability to compete for long periods of time.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 339 Times in 193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Plus, they have no money. That's always going to serious hinder the team's ability to compete for long periods of time.
    At this point, I'm struggling to see how there is a distinction between the two teams in this regard.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    The Twins will pass the Royals next season and never look back.
    I think this is a little ambitious, mostly because I think the Royals are going to have a really good season next year. But I would agree starting in 2015.
    Papers...business papers.

As exciting as our future is and how good we COULD be, the fact is the Royals are taking that next step. And they still have hope that some of those young studs can put it together and break out.

It has to be the Royals right now, mostly because they are actually doing it, whereas we have to hope we will be doing the same (and more) ourselves at some as-yet-unknown point in the future.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    The Royals still have a very strong minor league system. Mayo has 5 Royals in his revised top 100 rankings. His #6 & 7 are Manaea and Hunter Dozier their first 2 picks this season. BA has 3 Royals in his revised top 50 list. The Royals have 3 very good arms at the top of their system in Kyle Zimmer (AA), Yordano Ventura who is hitting triple digits on the gun (AAA) and Manaea who could be an Ace if this spring's struggles were injury related. I think it's a bit premature to proclaim the demise of the Royals. Even with their trade for Shields they are looking strong.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLeviathan View Post
    As exciting as our future is and how good we COULD be, the fact is the Royals are taking that next step. And they still have hope that some of those young studs can put it together and break out.

It has to be the Royals right now, mostly because they are actually doing it, whereas we have to hope we will be doing the same (and more) ourselves at some as-yet-unknown point in the future.
    A few years back, when we were competitive in the division with a not so highly ranked farm system and no payroll flexibility, I don't remember thinking that I'd rather be in the Royals shoes cause they had a very highly ranked farm system but a bad major league team. They were in that position for quite a few years...and I sure don't remember saying, MAN, I wish we were like them...

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 40 Times in 29 Posts

The Royals were 2 or 3 games over .500 two weeks ago. That doesn't fit my definition of actually doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by howieramone View Post
    The Royals were 2 or 3 games over .500 two weeks ago. That doesn't fit my definition of actually doing it.
    They are in contention. We are not. And until Buxton and Sano and Rosario and Meyer are helping us do it, we're still a long ways away from that.

Puck is right, what they're doing now is not terribly different than us in 2010 or 2009. Did you want to swap with their historically awesome farm system then?

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 170 Times in 96 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Plus, they have no money.
    Hold the door - the Royals are broke? Why haven't I heard about this?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Hold the door - the Royals are broke? Why haven't I heard about this?
    Don't they have a bigger payroll than we do this year?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    At this point, I'm struggling to see how there is a distinction between the two teams in this regard.
    If you bothered to look at Forbes you would know that the Twins out revenue KC by 50 million. So I would have to agree with you there is no distinction between the teams in terms of ability to spend money.

Quote Originally Posted by old nurse View Post
    If you bothered to look at Forbes you would know that the Twins out revenue KC by 50 million. So I would have to agree with you there is no distinction between the teams in terms of ability to spend money.
    I don't understand the need for condescension, but.....What? Your last sentence is unclear.

You're right, we out-revenue them substantially. And yet, they have a higher team payroll right now, but not by a significant margin. So I fail to see how Brock is making a distinction when it appears that we are acting about the same in terms of spending ability.