Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If the Red Sox are selling...

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

If the Red Sox are selling...

The Red Sox just traded about $250 million worth of contracts (Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford and Josh Beckett) to the Dodgers for a handful of players. If the Red Sox were to continue this 'selling off' plan, would it make sense for the Twins to make a phone call? Consider that the Twins would have the #1 waiver claim, something could happen.

Would the Twins consider:

Jon Lester: $11.625 million in 2013, $13 million club option for 2014 (with a $0.25 buyout).
    Clay Buchholz: $5.5 million in 2013, $7.7 million in 2014, $12 million in 2015, a $13 million option (with a $0.245 buyout) for 2016, and a $13.5 million option (with $0.5 million buyout) in 2017.
    Dustin Pedroia - $10 million in 2013, $10 million in 2014, $11 million option (with $0.5 million buyout) for 2015.

I wonder what the Red Sox would want in return?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    According to ESPN the Red Sox have put Lester and Ellsbury on trade waivers. Lester could be interesting, but do not know how many prospects the Red Sox want back. If the price is cheap enough, go for it. Would be better than spending about the same on an FA and being locked in for 3 or more years. Ellsbury is FA after next year, so do not think he would be the right player for the Twins.
    If the put Pedroia on trade waivers, I hope the Twins would at least inquire, do not think this will happen
    Buchholz is too long a contract and too dangerous to not work out for the twins to take this chance.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
    Every player is a risk, but Buchholz is only 27, and he's been above average his entire career. (This year, he's about average, but that's the aberration.) Depending on what the Sox would require, I'd jump at the chance to get Buchholz's contract. Given the Twins' need for pitching, it would be a great get.

Of course, it seems like it's a moot point. And Jon Lester is nowhere near the same thing.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    I'd take a gamble on either of those pitchers. Preferably Lester with the shorter deal.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
    Buying low on Jon Lester seems like a good idea to me. he's got a babip 30 points above last year, while his xFIP is exactly the same.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Too bad the RedSox are selling. Morneau would be a monster in Boston with that short right porch.

Senior Member All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 108 Times in 65 Posts
    Morneau for Lester this offseason?

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The deal Boston got was a good deal for Boston, they dumped a ton of salary, had to send little money with and got prospects in return. I don't know if they would want Morneau for Lester, my guess is they would be more interested in 2-3 top prospects instead. I think they want salary relief and some prospects so they can spend money in the off-season on who they want and have prospects to trade for the next big thing on the market next summer.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    I don't think the Red sox are going to sell there whole team away. To big a market for them not to be back next year. Maybe you could get
    those two pitchers for Parmelee and a OF prospect. It would put the Twins right back in it, but I don't see sox trading pitching they will
    hit the free agents hard.

IF Boston was goin for prospects & building from within....would they consider Lester for Parmellee (dont have a 1B ready...Lars Anderson a disappointment)/Benson/Hendriks????
    3 ready made players that may not have a future in MN (convinced MN isnt high on Benson/Hendriks) & save em 20+m.
    MN doesnt break up its everyday core players to get a top of rotation guy (didnt say ace tho)

Liked 1,063 Times in 476 Posts
    Claim them all and see what happens.

If you're awarded the waiver claim, tell Boston they can give them to you for nothing, or keep them. Their choice.

It's not like the Twins couldn't afford the salaries, if the Pohlads wanted to.

the 12m average for Lester is alot better than giving EJackson, ASanchez, etc 9/11m IMO.
    Not the worst contract for a starter with his history

Senior Member Triple-A Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 33 Posts
    Wow, I could see them dealing Lester, but Ellsbury and Bucholz makes no sense to me. What are they gonna build around without those guys, or Pedroia? Does Valentine have so much power he can get everybody traded?

I'd love to see the Twins grab Lester: just what the doctor ordered.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Would getting those guys make the Twins World Series contenders in 2013?

No

Then they should pass, sell and try to rebuild for 2014 and beyond, like the Red Sox are (smartly) doing.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A Monkeypaws's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post

No

Then they should pass, sell and try to rebuild for 2014 and beyond, like the Red Sox are (smartly) doing.
    Lester is a left-handed stud on a ****ty team right now. I would welcome him as a one on one trade with any Twin right now.

28 year old power lefties don't grow on trees.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 191 Times in 109 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Bucholz or Pedroia are welcome, not Lester. He was born in Washington but the weirdo adopted a Texas accent around the time he, Beckett, et al. went drunkard country on the BoSox. I am guissing if the Twins wouldn't even deal with Liriano's supposed (sober) mental issues, that they wouldn't be interested in Lester either.

Senior Member All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 194 Posts
    This team won't contend next year, everyone should just admit this to themselves and move on. That said - Buchholz could help this team now and in the future. Lester helps now and, if he bounces back, would have trade value with that shorter contract.

I'd rather invest available payroll into these two then dumping a bunch of money to Anibel Sanchez or someone similar.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post

No

Lester is a left-handed stud on a ****ty team right now. I would welcome him as a one on one trade with any Twin right now.

Last I checked, the Twins let one of those go within the division lately...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 112 Times in 43 Posts
    Blog Entries

No

Thrylos - Great Swordsmanship. That was a quick and simple dicing of that post.

Quote Originally Posted by Bark's Lounge View Post

No

Thrylos - Great Swordsmanship. That was a quick and simple dicing of that post.
    change that to 28 yr old power lefties who have reached their potential at some time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast