Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: GCL Twins

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries

GCL Twins

In what amounted to essentially a one-game playoff this morning/afternoon against the GCL Red Sox, the Twins affiliate came up short, 4-1. Their season is over.

There was mention when the Twins acquired Jeremias Pineda that he will be pushed next year. I wonder if there is a chance he, or others, will head to E-town or Beloit.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would assume that a few players will move up. Beloit could use an OF. Possible Kepler would move up to Beloit now, but I would think he would play in the Appy League playoffs, then move up to Beloit. Pinedas or Rodriguez could also get some playing time for Ft. Myers as well. A catcher could move up to Ft. Myers to take Pinto's spot.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A few notes on the GCL Twins from Righty8383...

:Not sure what happened to Dereck Rodriguez. He was sitting well above .300 for most of the season until a couple weeks ago. In his last 35 AB's, he picked up just 4 hits and struck out 17 times. Finishing the season with a .263 BA and 3 HR's.

:18 year old Felix Jorge(0-3, 2.34) from the DR did not have a great final start but had an overall good season. He struck out 37 and walked 12 over 34.2 innings.

:Randy Rosario(2-1, 1.64) is another dominican 18 year old who had a good year. His walk rate was a little high. He struck out 42 and walked 19 over 38.1 innings. He gave up just 19 hits.

:Taiwanese pitcher Kuo Hua Lo(2-0, 1.13) pitched the most innings(39.2) and had the best WHIP(0.78) on the team. 33 strike outs, just 7 walks and 24 hits allowed. Pretty good for his 1st year of pro ball in America.

:Last years 15th round pick out of Puerto Rico, Josue Montanez(2-0, 0.36) had the best ERA. He also had a good WHIP of 0.84. In 25 innings he struck out 30 and walked 8. He is 20 so a bit old for the GCL but pretty good numbers.

Local boy Austin Malinowski(3-2, 2.27) seems to have good numbers at 1st glance, but he gave up more hits(35) than innings pitched(31.2). That is not good especially in the GCL. This led to a high WHIP of 1.45.

Not much to speak of offensively on this team other than Aderlin Mejia. He hit .324 with a .788 OPS. At 20 he is a little old for the GCL. The most impressive stat for him is just 13 strike outs in 170 AB's. Thats almost unheard of.
    Last edited by righty8383; 08-25-2012 at 01:29 PM.

Does Pudge, Jr have the control to be a pitcher? I remember reading he hit 95 on the radar but if he can't throw the ball over the plate it's of no use.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 752 Times in 467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Pudge JR got hurt earlier this year and I don't think he's been the same since... it could simply be that he's not quite over whatever injury it was...

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    IThere was mention when the Twins acquired Jeremias Pineda that he will be pushed next year. I wonder if there is a chance he, or others, will head to E-town or Beloit.
    Might even see a player or two to Fort Myers, or at least the Twins did that in the past after the GCL season, they promoted a couple players to Fort Myers.