Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lucas Giolito

Lucas Giolito

I know there is great interest from Twins fans on Lucas Giolito possibly being our pick at #2 this year. Yahoo.com has a nice article regarding his first start in which he hit 100 mph. His line in 7 innings - 1 hit, 8k's and 0 BB. If the Twins are sure he will go pro and not go to UCLA, I think it's a no brainer come June. If he's avaliable.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highsc...180318543.html

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's the big question... will he be available? If not, Appel makes some sense.

I think the chances of him going to school are pretty small as he really cant improve his stock any by going to college. The chances that he goes to UCLA and becomes the defacto #1 in three years are fairly low, and he is already looking at a bonus in the 7+m range. I hope Appel goes #1 because I think Giolito has a higher ceiling, even if there is a higher risk of him not reaching that ceiling.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If he gets picked 1st or 2nd, he will sign, because a. he cannot get paid much higher and make more money with the way the bonus system works. b. has a risk to get injured in college and really miss a nice chunk of cash...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

I live in the area, and even though he (and Max Fried) have signed letters of intent to UCLA, I haven't read anything locally to indicate he is leaning toward college. He does go to a very prestigious private college prep high school, and I wonder if there will be some personal desire or family pressure to experience college. I plan to see him pitch on March 16 against Crespi High ( Trevor Plouffe's alma mater). I'm no scout, but last year I got to see Gerrit Cole and Trevor Bauer pitch at UCLA, and I liked Bauer more.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Giolito gets a lot of hype - and as a high school kid hitting triple digits in February, he should - but the thing I don't necessarily like about him mechanically is his leg involvement. Here's a video of him pitching on 2.11 of this year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n6lNcH9Xyc Watch his leg lift. It goes up, then it goes right back down. That means a substantial amount of his velocity is generated from his arm instead of his lower-half.

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    That means a substantial amount of his velocity is generated from his arm instead of his lower-half.
    That could be a sign of some bad things to come.

At this point, there is a lot of baseball left to be played before the Twins will have to make their selection. Both Giolito and Appel could turn into very nice players. The upside of Giolito is nice but I can see the Twins wanted to stick with the safer college arm.

Senior Member Double-A Cap'n Piranha's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Christie View Post
    That could be a sign of some bad things to come.

At this point, there is a lot of baseball left to be played before the Twins will have to make their selection. Both Giolito and Appel could turn into very nice players. The upside of Giolito is nice but I can see the Twins wanted to stick with the safer college arm.

Odds are the Astros will make that decision for us.

Liked 103 Times in 61 Posts
    Ive been all for drafting Giolito im still all for drafting him I think he is the best pitcher in the draft kid has massive potential. I just hope now with Appels stock falling abit that he is still available at 2.

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think Buxton is the pick if Apple is not available
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Anyone else old enough to remember Colt Griffin?

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 752 Times in 467 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Parker Hageman View Post
    Giolito gets a lot of hype - and as a high school kid hitting triple digits in February, he should - but the thing I don't necessarily like about him mechanically is his leg involvement. Here's a video of him pitching on 2.11 of this year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9n6lNcH9Xyc Watch his leg lift. It goes up, then it goes right back down. That means a substantial amount of his velocity is generated from his arm instead of his lower-half.
    Interesting.... what I've been reading is that he has a smooth easy delivery that makes scouts drool... Personally, this is the pick I want. He may be a bit further away than Appel, but we need someone who can be a solid number 1.

Parker, do you know what the hell you are talking about? Sorry, I just had to ask. I watched your clip, and for a high school kid he has a very smooth delivery. It appears to me that he strides out well and has a very fluid delivery, which makes he think he is getting his power from his legs.

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Parker, do you know what the hell you are talking about? Sorry, I just had to ask. I watched your clip, and for a high school kid he has a very smooth delivery.
    Yes, I do. Certainly his mechanics are smooth but that does not negate the fact that if you watch his leg lift, it comes up then goes down before striding forward. This means that he is not generating power from his legs in the drive portion of his mechanics as much as he likely should (particularly for someone who throws triple-digits). It's very similar to the mechanics Kyle Gibson employs. While they look good, this puts some added pressure on the arm/shoulder.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    The first thing his drafting team will do is fix that stride. From that video it looks like he's got about a 48" stride. He's 6'6". Traditionally his stride should be 62" min.

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    The first thing his drafting team will do is fix that stride. From that video it looks like he's got about a 48" stride. He's 6'6". Traditionally his stride should be 62" min.
    With those numbers you threw out there you must know what you're talking about
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Parker, I highly respect your analysis and think usually you are dead on in your diagnosis of swings and deliveries, but in this case I disagree with you. In high school & college the way we were taught mechanics is the same way Giolito demonstrates in the video. The front leg should go "up-down-out" helping a pitcher to keep his weight back over the mound, which in turn allows him to generate power with his back leg. If the pitcher's front leg goes "up-out-down" if throws off his balance, causes him to open up his front side, and rush his arm forward to catch up with the body. Watch this video of Verlander, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbVQc...eature=related His front leg goes up, down, and then out towards home plate allowing him to generate his power with his back leg. This site does a good job of breaking it down as well http://www.baseball-pitching-tips.co...ics-drive.html. While I agree that Giolito could use his lower half a little more, I think his arm action is really clean and he has very little effort in his arm action.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have said since October Lucas Giolito is the best pitcher in the 2012 MLB draft. He is a future ace pitcher and is very sound mechanically. However, the Twins don’t have any desire to draft a pitcher without college experience. They prefer #3 and #4 pitchers with little upside like Kevin Slowey and Alex Wimmers. Giolito would decide to go to UCLA if he is drafted by the Twins anyways. If you were the best prospect in all of MLB would you want to come to Minnesota and work with our coaching staff. It would make about as much sense as me giving vehicle designs to Lee Iacocca. They would tell him to “pitch to contact” and destroy his confidence just like they did to Liriano. Houston would be out of their minds to pass on Giolito and probably won’t. We need to hope Mark Appel is still available at #2 when the Twins draft. Appel is clearly not a #1 or #2 pitcher but will fit into our organization well.
    Last edited by Fanatic Jack; 03-04-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanatic Jack View Post
    If you were the best prospect in all of MLB would you want to come to Minnesota and work with our coaching staff.
    Because with the hard caps on the slots, any pitcher would be nuts to bypass the money that comes from the second overall pick and risk injury in college. That simple.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Every pitcher instruction is leg up, then down and out.

Parker - I'm sorry but you couldn't be more wrong about pitching motion.

On the video, Giolito seems to have great form.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast