Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Kahuna Type Trade

Senior Member All-Star Bark's Lounge's Avatar
    Liked 490 Times in 189 Posts
    Blog Entries

Big Kahuna Type Trade

Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com is reporting via Twitter that The Dodgers and Red Sox are closing in on a blockbuster deal involving A-Gone, Beckett, Crawford, and Our Beloved Nick Punto. WTF? What will Boston get in return? If this happens, it will have to go down as one of the biggest trades in the history of this game... crazy!

Blog Entries
    Zach Lee would have to be a part of this deal.

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 362 Times in 184 Posts
    Um, wow. This would be a genius move by Boston if they can pull it off. Crawford, Gonzalez and Beckett are all awful contracts.

Not sure why the Dodgers want to blow their wad this year, but whatever. I guess it's their money to waste.
    Magic Johnson isn't exactly the world's greatest investment. (I live in a building that he built 4 years ago and then went bankrupt on)

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Return would depend on how much salary the Red Sox pay. This could be a straight salary dump, but if real, it could include 2 of the top 4 Dodger prospects. Presume Loony would be going back, but he is a goner at the end of the year. Rest would have to be prospects(mainly pitching).
    Do not know why the Dodgers would do this deal, but it would close the book on the Twins doing a deal with them

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    Um, wow. This would be a genius move by Boston if they can pull it off. Crawford, Gonzalez and Beckett are all awful contracts.

Not sure why the Dodgers want to blow their wad this year, but whatever. I guess it's their money to waste.
    Magic Johnson isn't exactly the world's greatest investment. (I live in a building that he built 4 years ago and then went bankrupt on)
    If it takes most of the money off the books for Boston it would be a great transaction. I have a hard time believing that will be the case though.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 536 Times in 355 Posts
    If so, that is on less team for Morneau to be traded to in the offseason...
    Lighten up Francis....

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,528 Times in 799 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This would be awesome if it happened, if only for the crazy amount of talk it would generate.

But why are the Dodgers trying to pick up everyone else's bad contracts?

Blog Entries
    A-Gon scratched from tonights line-up and summoned into the clubhouse along with Punto according to Alex Speier of WEEI.com (via twitter). Somethings going down - but to what extent?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Too bad about this deal, which I can almost literally smell coming, because, if it goes through, removes a potentially serious suitor for Morneau from the market and the Dodgers get rid of Loney.

The Dodgers are willing to do this because their new management group is trying desperately to get players that it knows can help them for the rest of this year and for a long time after that, although the Red Sox are going to get slammed by their media for giving up such impact players unless they get something good in return. This sounds like what Billy Beane calls an effing A trade.

Blog Entries
    From what I have read recently... no Zach Lee involved in the trade. Nice for the Dodgers.

Member Single-A
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This has been a really fun rumor to follow along all day. Totally unexpected and a total game-changer. I wonder if there is concern of the commissioner's office having some problems with the amount of money and PTBNL being tossed about.

Liked 217 Times in 94 Posts
    I hate trades like this. It rewards both teams for being stupid. LA gets a killer team and Boston gets out of signing stupid contracts.

Liked 217 Times in 94 Posts
    6:15pm: The Red Sox and Dodgers are currently reviewing medical records, according to Alex Speier of WEEI.com (via Twitter). The deal would include Rubby De La Rosa, James Loney, Jerry Sands, Ivan De Jesus, and a top prospect, according to Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com (Twitter link).

Holy hell, that is a load of ****.

Member Single-A
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    I hate trades like this. It rewards both teams for being stupid. LA gets a killer team and Boston gets out of signing stupid contracts.
    I guess I feel that neither team is being rewarded, almost the opposite. We don't know the money changing hands yet and neither team looks to come out of this unscathed. Boston is going into full-on rebuild mode* and LA is taking themselves out of the running for the top-flight free agents for at least the next two years, unless the luxury tax isn't an issue for them. It is fun for me to watch this all develop, but I can sit back and be glad my team isn't one of the teams involved.

*I understand the necessity of rebuilding, I was just trying to put myself into the shoes of an average Boston fan; someone who expects playoffs and deep playoff runs every year. If this year's FA class suits Boston's needs well and they decide to go ahead and build a veteran team through FA signings and trades without a commitment to rebuild, then that is a different story altogether.

Member Single-A
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    6:15pm: The Red Sox and Dodgers are currently reviewing medical records, according to Alex Speier of WEEI.com (via Twitter). The deal would include Rubby De La Rosa, James Loney, Jerry Sands, Ivan De Jesus, and a top prospect, according to Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com (Twitter link).

Holy hell, that is a load of ****.
    add Allen Webster to that list
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=webste001car

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    If so, that is on less team for Morneau to be traded to in the offseason...
    He would look pretty good in Boston Red One door closes, another opens.

Interesting situation in Boston. They are really trying to clean up the clubhouse getting rid of troublemaker players: Beckett from last season (KFC and brewski), Stoppach (gone before) and A Gone from this (text messages) plus Crawford who never amounted to anything for them and Nicky. And Danny will have an MLB job again.
    Last edited by Thrylos; 08-24-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Padres fans are throwing themselves off the Coronado Bridge right now.

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Nah they are all surfing off La Jolla Shores; only military and tourists go over that Bridge

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Nah they are all surfing off La Jolla Shores; only military and tourists go over that Bridge
    Oh, I'm well aware. Lived there for eight years and crossed that bridge maybe five times.

will be interesting to see if Boston is a potential suitor for Morneau. They are really gonna need that middle of the lineup bat if this trade goes through

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast