Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Twins sign RHP Leonel Zazueta

Twins sign RHP Leonel Zazueta

Here are the two "Scouting Reports" I could find on the kid. Anyone who is a better Googler than I can add content below

http://vimeo.com/37834819

http://vimeo.com/37834228

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The only article I could find on him was in Spanish. I gathered that he is from Mexico, 18 years old and has a 94-96 MPH fastball.

"He pitched two days ago with a high of 95".....um, is he a reliever by trade at this point or are they abusing him a bit?
    Last edited by MidwestMeat; 08-24-2012 at 10:30 AM.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 808 Times in 509 Posts
    Blog Entries
    regardless, those are good numbers... at 18, he's still going to add a few ticks to that fastball as he ages... So 95 in relief now might be 98 by the time he reaches the bigs... or it might be 94/95 as a starter at that point. Not going to complain.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Hablo espanol. The info seems limited. Like others have mentioned he is 18 and hits the mid to upper 90s. He was playing for school called Academia del Carmen in Monterrey which appears to be a baseball park/academy that is connected to a High School. He drew attention from the Yankees, Boston, Texas, and KC. i read that he will try to play for a team on Sonora called the Naranjeros in the meantime and then report to the Twins next winter where he most likely go the rookie league in FLA. I will reach out to a coworker about Academia del Carmen. With any luck it is Cretin Derhum Hall south campus.

Quote Originally Posted by SRP View Post
    Hablo espanol. The info seems limited. Like others have mentioned he is 18 and hits the mid to upper 90s. He was playing for school called Academia del Carmen in Monterrey which appears to be a baseball park/academy that is connected to a High School. He drew attention from the Yankees, Boston, Texas, and KC. i read that he will try to play for a team on Sonora called the Naranjeros in the meantime and then report to the Twins next winter where he most likely go the rookie league in FLA. I will reach out to a coworker about Academia del Carmen. With any luck it is Cretin Derhum Hall south campus.
    Good find! Thanks for the information.

Senior Member Triple-A
    I would like some info on his frame. I have read people who say JO Berrios has low ceiling because he may not grow much more. I don't know if that is true and I hope it is not but it would be interesting to see how Zazueta is built for comparison.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    How is he built?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You can get more if you search: Leonel Zazueta beisbol

Here is a write-up from February of 2011 when he was just 16, titled "A golden prospect"... (Must just turned 18). My Spanish is getting crusty but here is the basics: Pretty much the biggest prospect in his area. Was linked heavily to the Yankees. Short and Stout for a 16 year old. (5'10"ish and 190ish) His FB was around 92 back then and he though he can do better. His nickname for some reason is "Witch" (which could be the equivalent of "Wizard" in English). He has been an outfielder as well and is pretty good with glove (the Spanish word for a "fielder" is the same as for "gardener". Go figure) He signed into that academy right then. Of course, he is also described as a "Diamond in rough"...

Other tidbit from here and there: Selected at the Mexican National team for 15-16 year olds.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I don't think the Twins had much to spend so he must not have gotten a huge bonus.

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 197 Times in 97 Posts
    Sonora Naranjeros? What is that, like the "orange pickers" or something?

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 377 Times in 232 Posts
    I wonder if the Twins had more international money left in their wallet than the Yankees, or if the Yankees just backed off of the kid for some reason.

http://www.solobeisbol.com.mx/index....-con-minnesota

I always enjoy google translate - you get the general idea, even if you have to ignore certain eccentricities:

The Sonoran pitcher Leonel Zazueta was signed by the Minnesota Twins organization leaguer.
    The right Hermosillo 18 Naranjeros belongs to Hermosillo and Monterrey Sultans LMP summer
    He was in the Academy Del Carmen in California where he was visited by scouts from different teams as the Yankees, Texas Boston and Kansas City, but the best was the Twins. The tall and burly pitcher has as main gun with an impressive line ranging between 94 and 96 mph. For now the young will report early with Naranjeros and try to earn a spot in the bullpen. Accrue to Minnesota in February for spring trainning, where surely be sent to the Florida League Roockie.

Senior Member Triple-A
    The place where Google failed you was its assumption that Monterrey was CA. That is Monterrey, Mexico in Nuevo Leon. It is a couple hours south of the Texas border and towards the Carribean side.

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 446 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Ding ding ding!

-----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member All-Star 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 197 Times in 97 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 70charger View Post
    Ding ding ding!
    I just looked at some of the other teams. The avocado pickers, the tomato pickers, the shrimp fishermen...

Interesting league.

good to see the Twins tapping into almost every market. Mexico has had good prospects as of late.. one thing for sure is the Twins aren't slacking in this department.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinsFanInPhilly View Post
    http://www.solobeisbol.com.mx/index....-con-minnesota

I always enjoy google translate - you get the general idea, even if you have to ignore certain eccentricities:

The Sonoran pitcher Leonel Zazueta ...tall and burly pitcher ...
    I wonder if he's grown well past 5'10", or is he just Mexican Tall?

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My brother teaches spanish in college and he translated that he has hard, heavy, fastball that sinks/runs. He also has a "lanky" build which is always encouraging when looking at a youngster