Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: Introducing the new Twins Daily!

To everyone complaining about ads, use FF and get the Adblock Plus plugin. Poof! The ads are all gone!

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 360 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chaderic20 View Post
    To everyone complaining about ads, use FF and get the Adblock Plus plugin. Poof! The ads are all gone!
    I have a feeling talking about Adblock isn't going to win you any points with the sites creators.

Yes, ads are annoying, and they are working on getting rid of the pop up ads rollover ads. But keep in mind, this is a free site, that does cost money and time to maintain. Using adblock is a pretty dick move in my opinion. Nobody is asking you to click them.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,520 Times in 794 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chaderic20 View Post
    Yeah, that's a fantastic alternative. Block the only source of revenue from a site you frequent for free. A site that requires hundreds of man hours a month to maintain for very little to no pay.

Brilliant.

With that said, I received a full frontal assault of pop-up, pop-out and noisy ads this morning when I checked the site. I now see the complaints. That will be resolved shortly. We want to create a friendly environment that also allows us to make a little money for all the effort we put into the site, not annoy the users to the point where they never want to return to TD.

I don't mind the ads in general, but one that was really bothersome was the Command strip ad. It kept opening, even when I didn't run my mouse over it, and after I'd close it, it would open again before I could scroll down the screen.

If that's a common problem with that particular ad, I'd recommend getting rid of it if possible.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    Is it possible to let users decide if they want the older layout where the mobile option is available bottom left drop down. While the boarders and some buttons are crisper, the text is squeezed too much (between ads and tools) like a twitter page. For those of us who have wide screen monitors and like the freedom to spread the browser, not having the ability is a real drawback. Right now, I feel like I'm typing in a tiny box and distracted by an entire unbroken column of ads or the right... and beyond that border (beyond the set web page size there are ads in the unused margins further to the right. That ad in the margin also is one that follows my up/down scroll. Great. 40% of my browser is ads with this one size fits all concretization. Please give the option to go back. I'll include screen captures if need be, but I think you know what I'm saying.
    Sorry, we're not going back to a liquid layout. There are far too many downsides to designing a site based around percentages (which is why the screen would stretch in the old version). If you look around the internet, there are very few "professional" sites that use a liquid design and there's a reason for that. It's impossible to properly control how your content is displayed and make it look good on every device known to man. On top of that, I just don't have the time to continue updating and maintaining two themes instead of one. It's twice the work (more actually, due to how difficult it is to make things look good in a liquid design).

I completely understand what you're saying, though. I use a 2550 resolution monitor, which is basically the highest res monitor you can buy for consumer use.
    I've noted this being a trend for awhile, I don't like it. While sites look very nice on my crappy little 1366 x 768 screen, my 1920 x 1080 laptop has a lot more "dead space" then is welcome. Can't even image how bad it would be with a 2560 x 1600.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Dan Cole once said everyone wants something for free. Love of the game is one thing, being paid for your time is the American way. Deal with it and enjoy the site. Click on an ad every once in awhile so they guys get paid for their time. I do not know why General Mills isn't a sponsor for all the Frankenberry plugs along the way.

Rocketpig and his lover should be the new Frankenberry spokesmens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    How about removing the "stalking ad" on the right outside the fixed browser size?
    I second that notion. I understand the necessity of ads, but that one is just annoying. Otherwise I love the new layout it's awesome.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    I'm good with Ads. I'm good with sliding ads. I'm not thrilled with ads that pop into the middle of the screen, probably won't stop me from coming, but it is a bummer.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    The adds argument is bogus. If u want to make money, get a real job. These are the worst adds u could get. I used to come to this site multiple times a day. Now, I rarely come back. This was a forum to talk twins but you aholes have turned it into Christmas in july. When does the site go public? I would like to buy some stock since its so profitable to have ads on your site...just ask facebook. Sellouts. This sint the twins way. This website is run like slowey and valencia

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    The adds argument is bogus. If u want to make money, get a real job. These are the worst adds u could get. I used to come to this site multiple times a day. Now, I rarely come back. This was a forum to talk twins but you aholes have turned it into Christmas in july. When does the site go public? I would like to buy some stock since its so profitable to have ads on your site...just ask facebook. Sellouts. This sint the twins way. This website is run like slowey and valencia
    If that's the way you feel, I invite you to leave and never, ever come back. We spend hundreds of hours putting this site together every month. if you can't appreciate that, we will shed no tears if you go somewhere else.

To respond to your "real job" statement: If you want an ad-free website, go build one.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    I'm good with Ads. I'm good with sliding ads. I'm not thrilled with ads that pop into the middle of the screen, probably won't stop me from coming, but it is a bummer.
    We are working on it. I've been out of town the past few days for a funeral but I'll be back later today and will try to resolve the problem.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure if this is the place for suggestions or feedback, or if it would be better in the Suggestions forum. But, since both my comments are related to the new look, I'll make them here.

1) Pretty minor, but I don't like that if I don't have the window maximized, I can's see the full width of the posts. Having to scroll side-to-side to read posts isn't much fun. I likely won't check-in as much during work where I don't like to have my internet window maximized. I know, I know...I probably shouldn't be coming here as much as I do during those hours anyway...

2) I very much miss having the time of the latest post included on the left hand side list of recently commented on forums. Especially when I'm checking in semi-often, it was nice to be able to refresh and see what's new since the last time with the time stamp.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Hmm. A lot of you used that time stamp. I'll look into possibly adding it back in.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    Thanks Brock, hope all is well. As for the date stamp, yes, that was nice, very nice.
    Lighten up Francis....

Quote Originally Posted by Twins Twerp View Post
    My favorite part of this post (there are many to choose from: Poor spelling, grammar, etc) is perhaps the fact that he thinks facebook is somehow a bad business model to follow.

Also, I would never suggest anyone use an ad blocker, but if a sliding ad and a couple 300 x 250 ad units cause you this much stress/frustration perhaps you should invest into that idea.

It should also be noted that ESPN.com and other top sports sites use more annoying things such as: Auto Play ads, pop ups, expandables etc as well.

Also I can't speak for the founders of this site, but I'm pretty sure the idea with the ads aren't "Lets try to make a ton of money for ourselves!" More they are hoping the ads cover the serving costs, labor costs? and maybe lets them pocket a few extra dollars for all their hours they put in throughout the days/weeks/months.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    I added the time stamp back into the post. I want to eliminate the "Today" part of the text to shorten it up but I don't have the energy for that today. I'll look into it later.

I understand that ads are a necessity to keep a site like this running, but put me in the camp that is far less likely to visit in the current format (sliding ads, distracting ads, ads in the middle, etc)

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Just so everyone is updated, we're working on removing the pop-out ads. Those are the ads that appear to look like a normal ad but then expand to 3-5 times the normal size (and sometimes blare sound at you, to boot).

If you continue to see them, please let us know. I haven't seen any in the past 24 hours but I never saw them much in the first place.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer Twins Twerp's Avatar
    Liked 104 Times in 66 Posts
    Nice to see the pop up ads gone. Much easier to view. Sorry for going crazy on yo' a$$ and for posting via android device. I may add that with my android device, I still had the popup ads and that is what was driving me crazy, because I couldn't close it until the ad was completely done downloading (slow network makes for long load times).

Now, the site seems to be more normal and user friendly, thanks for taking the constructive (almost bullyish) criticism.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast