-----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 371 Times in 196 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It was mentioned in his Adopt-a-Prospect.

Here is a nice article by Ben Goessling on what the plan is with Gibson the rest of the year... http://www.twincities.com/twins/ci_2...iple-rochester

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Great news, couldn't be happier for the guy

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,584 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think the Twins are pushing hard to have Kyle in the Minnesota rotation out of Spring Training. This move is aggressive and a little surprising. I thought NB was more likely.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    I think the Twins are pushing hard to have Kyle in the Minnesota rotation out of Spring Training. This move is aggressive and a little surprising. I thought NB was more likely.
    I would figure they would wait until June or whenever he would not gain Super 2 status before being recalled. Whatever reject/rejects they sign to fill out the rotation would be cut to make room.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    There's some pressure if they send him to New Britain, going into a playoff race. Sending him to Rochester, he can just continue to work with the same plan, pitch counts, etc.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 54 Times in 35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darin617 View Post
    Whatever reject/rejects they sign to fill out the rotation
    A reject can turn into a Burton.
    Pavano was considered done. He had good year and a half. Fortunate to have him. Unfortunate later, but that is another thread.
    There are pitchers to fill out a roster every year that are sliding down the starter ranks that bounce back. Then there are the Ben Sheets of the world.
    As a stopgap, the Twins have to convince them to come here to pitch well and be traded to a contender in July.

I would figure they would wait until June or whenever he would not gain Super 2 status before being recalled. Whatever reject/rejects they sign to fill out the rotation would be cut to make room.
    Wonder at his age (25 next season) if teams are less interested in the business side of things like Super 2 with players. At that age, its get him here & see if he can pitch I would think.
    I wouldnt be surprised if he starts in Roc for a month, but more that they can control his early season innings easier that way.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,584 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    There's some pressure if they send him to New Britain, going into a playoff race. Sending him to Rochester, he can just continue to work with the same plan, pitch counts, etc.
    Hmm, that's a good point.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not like Rochester isn't in a playoff race themselves. They are an outside chance for the Wild Card, but it is possible, mathematically anyway, that they could still make the playoffs.

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It would be great to see Gibson find success at Triple-A before the end of the year. Hopefully, he will continue to improve his pitch counts and be ready for the start of spring training or maybe a trip to the Arizona Fall League.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Blog Entries
    I think if all goes well, the Twins will let Gibson compete for a opening day rotation spot. That said, they will want to protect his innings early in the season, and that speaks better to sending him to Rochester. Some will say it's to keep his arbitration status in check, but it might be also to avoid the Strasburg situation. They can have him skip a start or three in Rochester without as much scrutiny.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 806 Times in 508 Posts
    Blog Entries

There seems to be a bit of a misunderstanding around here about super2. Gibson has yet to pitch in the bigs. If he makes it out of spring training, he will have 3 years of serfdom before he's arb eligible because at the beginning of season 3, he has exactly 2 years of service time. Super2 only comes into play when he plays a big enough part of that 3rd season to qualify... So, for instance, if he were to play only a part of next season, he'd be at risk for super 2 at the end of his 3rd season based on how large a part he played in that first year. If the Twins waited until say June/July to call him up, they could use this to essentially squeeze an extra half season of serfdom out of him, but that isn't avoiding super2... that's avoiding starting the arb clock.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 564 Times in 369 Posts
    He is 25, no need to worry about super two. i hope is in Minnesota to start the season, there will not be less wear on his arm pitching in Rochester, unless he is limited to pitch counts or innings in each start. If he is ready, he should be up here.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mike wants wins View Post
    He is 25, no need to worry about super two. i hope is in Minnesota to start the season, there will not be less wear on his arm pitching in Rochester, unless he is limited to pitch counts or innings in each start. If he is ready, he should be up here.
    This.

Since he is 25 before his arb clock is even started, he'll be 31 before he is eligible for FA (3 years of serfdom and 3 years of arbitration).