Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Twins vs Rangers, 08-23-2012, 7:05pm

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 221 Times in 96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kydoty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by notoriousgod71 View Post
    OK I just turned it on right before Diamond got ejected. I didn't see the Mauer HBP. Was it that obvious?
    3-0 count and a fastball right in his upper back. You damn right it was intentional.

And Diamond gets tossed for a retalitory pitch that doesn't even hit Hamilton and with no warning from Wally Bell.

So in the end, we lose our pitcher, Hamilton goes unscathed, and Oswalt remains in the game.
    We could make it like the Padres-Braves game from '84 where four guys got ejected for throwing at Pascual Perez.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,282 Times in 686 Posts
    **** it, this team is going nowhere anyway. If I was running the team, the first pitch from Swarzak would've gone right back to Hamilton just like Diamond's.
    That would have just put a bullseye on our next batter, the nonsense has to end sometime. Diamond made his point, crock of s**t he was ejected!

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BD57 View Post
    Things like this are the biggest "downside" of the DH. If Oswalt had to hit, we could drill him in retaliation.
    Well, maybe not drill him, but they could throw a ball in his general direction.

Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B Richard View Post
    Does anyone here have any good sites for streaming games? I don't have mlb.tv and am habitually frustrated by not being able to watch the Twins
    iPhone app works well for audio, not bad for video (if signal strength is decent).

Ah, if only I had an iPhone... appreciate it though

Things like this are the biggest "downside" of the DH. If Oswalt had to hit, we could drill him in retaliation.
    Even if this was the NL wouldn't they still be going after Hamilton? I mean why put an auto out on first base? I don't watch enough NL baseball to know so please let me know if my assumptions are way off.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 775 Times in 407 Posts
    Joe has really good bat control; I could see a line drive back through the mound, and any possible occupant.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkman View Post
    Even if this was the NL wouldn't they still be going after Hamilton? I mean why put an auto out on first base? I don't watch enough NL baseball to know so please let me know if my assumptions are way off.

I personally didn't think Mauer getting hit was intentional, but the Twins had to do something. Pitchers really don't get thrown at as part of the "unspoken rules" I believe nowadays. In the NL if the exact same thing happened I don't think we'd still be throwing at Hamilton after 1 miss because Mauer's getting hit wasn't too egregious.
    Last edited by B Richard; 08-23-2012 at 08:30 PM.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    **** it, this team is going nowhere anyway. If I was running the team, the first pitch from Swarzak would've gone right back to Hamilton just like Diamond's.
    Both benches were warned after Diamond's pitch. All it would have done is get Swarzak tossed as well.

Be patient. This is a four-game series. Guarantee he gets nailed before they finish up Sunday.

Liked 1,279 Times in 740 Posts
    I also don't think that Oswalt hit Mauer intentionally. Oswalt did not have particularly good command earlier.

The ump had no choice but to eject Diamond. He threw too close to Hamilton's head. He could have plunked him on the butt or the back instead of throwing it in the area of the head.

Yeah I'd be surprised if not tonight but over the weekend Hamilton doesn't end up taking one in the ribs

Quote Originally Posted by JB_Iowa View Post
    I also don't think that Oswalt hit Mauer intentionally. Oswalt did not have particularly good command earlier.

The ump had no choice but to eject Diamond. He threw too close to Hamilton's head. He could have plunked him on the butt or the back instead of throwing it in the area of the head.
    I'm on the fence on if it was intentional, leaning toward "if I'm gonna miss, I'm gonna miss inside" but even so that is still some HORRIBLE control.

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have to think Diamond missed his location there pretty bad.. I have never met anyone or ever heard of a player trying to hit another player in the head(possibly Pedro Martinez). Bad move on Diamonds part.. hits him in the putt and he doesn't get ejected

Liked 2,287 Times in 1,283 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Who knows for sure but I'd have to say... Intentional... 3 0 base open Mauer at the plate. Frustrated pitcher over botched run down... Plus a Veteren pitcher who has his mechanics down and an old school attitude.

I think Mauer got plunked on purpose and Washington probably didn't like it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach J View Post
    I have to think Diamond missed his location there pretty bad.. I have never met anyone or ever heard of a player trying to hit another player in the head(possibly Pedro Martinez). Bad move on Diamonds part.. hits him in the putt and he doesn't get ejected
    I would agree - he hits him in the back or leg, Hamilton goes to first, the ump warns both benches, and the incident is over. Ump had no choice with where Diamond's pitch went. My guess, though, is that we'll get the benefit of the doubt on any close calls the rest of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkman View Post
    I'm on the fence on if it was intentional, leaning toward "if I'm gonna miss, I'm gonna miss inside" but even so that is still some HORRIBLE control.
    That's the problem though. Maybe Oswalt was aiming at Mauer. Maybe he was just trying to pitch inside. Or maybe he just missed completely.

It's pretty much impossible to tell ... and that's probably why the ump didn't do anything then. With Diamond's throw, there was no question it was retaliation and it it was thrown high.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    Who knows for sure but I'd have to say... Intentional... 3 0 base open Mauer at the plate. Frustrated pitcher over botched run down... Plus a Veteren pitcher who has his mechanics down and an old school attitude.

I think Mauer got plunked on purpose and Washington probably didn't like it.

I'm starting to think it was intentional. Maybe this is irrelevant but the Texas announcers mentioned Mauer is something like a career 9 for 11 off of Oswalt

Well, Oswalt is gone now anyway.

Blog Entries
    It will be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of this after the league office reviews the umpire's report. If they think Oswalt's throw was intentional, he may not be out of the clear either.

Blog Entries
    It is poetic justice that Oswalt can't get the win!

Quote Originally Posted by B Richard View Post
    Oswalt lost command on a 3-0 pitch and it hit Mauer in the upper back. It wasnt a direct plunk, more of a glancing blow really. Neither dugout was warned I believe, but then Diamond gets tossed. Ridiculous
    Oswald is a veteran pitcher that is known for his control... If you don't think that was intentional then watch it again. It hit Joe in the U in Mauer, and was a 3-0 count. Nobody was warned which is ridiculous. That's bush Wash, just bush!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast