Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Article: Independent Thinking

  1. #1
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,436
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    64
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515

    Article: Independent Thinking


  2. #2
    Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Posts
    3,506
    Like
    845
    Liked 1,180 Times in 627 Posts
    Nice article Seth, guys like this are the epitome of the term "chasing the dream". Playing for peanuts and bouncing from small town to small town, living out of a gym bag, just in the hopes someone notices and gives them a shot. One of my favorite independent success stories in recent memory was Jeff Zimmerman of the Texas Rangers. He played for the Goldeyes in 1997 and dominated the league, enough for the Rangers to sign him as a free agent in 1998. Over the next three years he became one if their best arms, culminating in an All Star game appearance in 1999. Unfortunately injuries derailed his career but his story is still one that gives all of these types of players the hope to keep playing.

  3. #3
    Seth, you can't mention "independent league Kansas City" and not point out that they're called the "T-Bones", which George Costanza will agree is an excellent nickname.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Posts
    658
    Like
    7
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    Is the guy you are talking about in the last paragraph the guy around which the movie "The Rookie" was based?

  5. #5
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,436
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    64
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dog Dungan View Post
    Is the guy you are talking about in the last paragraph the guy around which the movie "The Rookie" was based?
    No, that was Jim Morris... Here is the story on Chris Coste

    http://www.amazon.com/The-33-Year-Ol...ear+old+rookie

  6. #6
    Thanks Seth for a great article and a different type. Hopefully one or two will reach the show and realize their dream.

  7. #7
    Senior Member MVP
    Posts
    5,625
    Like
    1,121
    Liked 535 Times in 354 Posts
    I too enjoyed this article quite a bit.
    Lighten up Francis....

  8. #8
    All but Sattler have legit possibilities to make the majors by maybe next yr

  9. #9
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,436
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    64
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    All but Sattler have legit possibilities to make the majors by maybe next yr
    And if not for the TJ surgery, the 98 mph is still intriguing. I guess that's my point. These guys are signed to fill roster spots somewhere in the minors, and they have all done that well. If they can get to the big leagues, its' a tremendous story.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    639
    Like
    5
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    With the new draft rules restricted to 30 rounds i would guess that we will see more guys go to the independent leagues and these types of storries will be increasingly common.

  11. #11
    Senior Member All-Star Thrylos's Avatar
    Posts
    4,135
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Like
    34
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    200
    It is an interesting story. And traffic back and forth from the independents to affiliates baseball has increased it seems this season. Twins' very ex-own Luke Hughes was on his way to Independent ball after cut by the As before he signed with Toronto...

    One thing I might disagree with:
    they gave Colabello his first opportunity with an affiliated team at the age of 28. To say that he has proven he belongs would be an understatement
    I don't think any 28-year old belongs to AA. But I like the Twins signing independent league star players better than signing washouts (like they did in the past and less this season) for Rochester. Colabello would look good in Rochester (but Burroughs for some reason has been ahead of him). And he might make it to the majors; Watkins did after all
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

  12. #12
    Senior Member All-Star
    Posts
    1,641
    Like
    9
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thrylos98 View Post
    It is an interesting story. And traffic back and forth from the independents to affiliates baseball has increased it seems this season. Twins' very ex-own Luke Hughes was on his way to Independent ball after cut by the As before he signed with Toronto...

    One thing I might disagree with:
    they gave Colabello his first opportunity with an affiliated team at the age of 28. To say that he has proven he belongs would be an understatement
    I don't think any 28-year old belongs to AA. But I like the Twins signing independent league star players better than signing washouts (like they did in the past and less this season) for Rochester. Colabello would look good in Rochester (but Burroughs for some reason has been ahead of him). And he might make it to the majors; Watkins did after all
    Some guy named Parmalee has been playing first for Rochester for the best part of the season. Seems there was this guy named Morneau at the major league level. Uninjured and paid a lot of money. Burroughs has been playing a little all over on the diamond. He probabbly could have played third base full time but there was this rising star named Valencia at third base. If Parmalee would have stuck at the major league level midseason, then Colabello would have moved up. If they figured out Valencia quicker, Romero would have moved up. At the start of the year they did not know what they had in either of these players for sure.

  13. #13
    Owner MVP Seth Stohs's Avatar
    Posts
    6,436
    Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Like
    64
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    515
    Yeah, again, Colabello was signed as a "filler" of sorts, so I don't care about the age thing. Also, we're talking about a guy who, if he were to make it to the big leagues, would be a role player, a backup 1B and RH pinch hitter. I think he goes to Rochester next year, and if something breaks right for him, he could get to call himself "Big Leaguer" for the rest of his life. That's pretty cool! That's a pretty great story!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.