Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Quick Hits: Pavano's injury, Hendriks recalled & Mastroianni to second?

Twitter
    @ParkerHageman
    Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: Quick Hits: Pavano's injury, Hendriks recalled & Mastroianni to second?

Senior Member All-Star Winston Smith's Avatar
    Liked 341 Times in 167 Posts
    The Twins front office has started to circle the wagons after the Pavano thing. PR talking points will be flying all over to cover their arses!

Senior Member All-Star SpiritofVodkaDave's Avatar
    Liked 391 Times in 205 Posts
    “He’s an emergency second baseman. He’s not as skilled; he would have a lot to work on at second base. I take all the throws with him, so you can tell your (readers) the manager’s out there taking all the throws when he’s fielding groundballs and it’s a work in progress. He’s an emergency infielder. He was an infielder and was moved to the outfield, and that’s because a lot of the balls ended up in the outfield anyway. That’s what happens.”

Basically what I have been trying to say for weeks now... the notion that the Blue Jays moved a capable 2nd baseman to the OF is/was laughable.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 782 Times in 411 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofVodkaDave View Post
    ďHeís an emergency second baseman. Heís not as skilled; he would have a lot to work on at second base. I take all the throws with him, so you can tell your (readers) the managerís out there taking all the throws when heís fielding groundballs and itís a work in progress. Heís an emergency infielder. He was an infielder and was moved to the outfield, and thatís because a lot of the balls ended up in the outfield anyway. Thatís what happens.Ē

Basically what I have been trying to say for weeks now... the notion that the Blue Jays moved a capable 2nd baseman to the OF is/was laughable.
    Yeah, that does explain a great deal. In that case either Dozier or Florimon should get some reps in at second.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Contrary to popular belief, it is possible that the team's medical staff did everything right and it was still missed.

Can't say that though as I could be labeled as a Twins homer...

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 819 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post
    Contrary to popular belief, it is possible that the team's medical staff did everything right and it was still missed.

I don't think anyone is saying this is impossible. Medical staffs do make mistakes on every team. The problem with the Twins is that there seems to be A LOT of mistakes.... and some of them (like Wimmers, Neshek, and Gibson's TJ surgeries) have been very predictable.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying this is impossible. Medical staffs do make mistakes on every team. The problem with the Twins is that there seems to be A LOT of mistakes.... and some of them (like Wimmers, Neshek, and Gibson's TJ surgeries) have been very predictable.
    As an outsider looking in (one who has virtually no knowledge of medicine), my biggest problem boils down to "learning from mistakes". We make jokes about TJ surgery based on past results and two months later, boom, the player is getting TJ surgery.

Is this normal? I have no idea but it sure seems like they should be learning from previous incidents and jumping on these injuries more quickly at this point. But, again, like almost every other poster on this board, I'm not in the position to make a truly qualified statement on the subject.

Liked 2,297 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ďHeís an emergency second baseman. Heís not as skilled; he would have a lot to work on at second base. I take all the throws with him, so you can tell your (readers) the managerís out there taking all the throws when heís fielding groundballs and itís a work in progress. Heís an emergency infielder. He was an infielder and was moved to the outfield, and thatís because a lot of the balls ended up in the outfield anyway. Thatís what happens.Ē

Gardy's word is good enough for me... I always suspected that it was something like that or it would have been done already.

All in All... It's too bad... I was really hoping for some Mastro at 2b... And Hoping for it to work out. I like him as a player and he's about to get overrun by Arcia, Hicks and the like.

Easy answers are tough to find. I'll keep trying.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,598 Times in 831 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbrian View Post
    “He’s an emergency second baseman. He’s not as skilled; he would have a lot to work on at second base. I take all the throws with him, so you can tell your (readers) the manager’s out there taking all the throws when he’s fielding groundballs and it’s a work in progress. He’s an emergency infielder. He was an infielder and was moved to the outfield, and that’s because a lot of the balls ended up in the outfield anyway. That’s what happens.”

Gardy's word is good enough for me... I always suspected that it was something like that or it would have been done already.

All in All... It's too bad... I was really hoping for some Mastro at 2b... And Hoping for it to work out. I like him as a player and he's about to get overrun by Arcia, Hicks and the like.

Easy answers are tough to find. I'll keep trying.
    Given Mastro's play, I don't think Hicks & Co. will hurt him much. They are all everyday players while Mastro has fourth outfielder written all over him. If he can learn to play second in a pinch, he's an excellent OF/2B/PR option for the team and definitely has a place on this roster.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    As an outsider looking in (one who has virtually no knowledge of medicine), my biggest problem boils down to "learning from mistakes". We make jokes about TJ surgery based on past results and two months later, boom, the player is getting TJ surgery.

Is this normal? I have no idea but it sure seems like they should be learning from previous incidents and jumping on these injuries more quickly at this point. But, again, like almost every other poster on this board, I'm not in the position to make a truly qualified statement on the subject.
    I guess my question is what is considered the medical standard for treatment in these cases. In most areas of medicine, surgery is considered the option of last resort, because of the potential for complications for even a routine surgery. If there is a chance the injury can be healed without it, it's usually best to try. The complicating factor here, of course, is the lost playing time. In these cases the speed of recovery becomes a factor along with the completeness of the recovery. Should the medically standard treatment plan be different for ballplayers than for the rest of us? I don't know - it's a valid question.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Dan Gladden View Post

These pitchers having TJ surgery wasn't the result of a mistake by the Twins' medical staff, was it? Surgery was the outcome as a last resort. I don't see a problem with being cautious and hoping that rest & rehab works. What bothers me about the medical staff - and really the Twins organization in general - is when a day-to-day injury turns into a 15-day DL stay, after the player has already been out for a week.

Liked 3,169 Times in 1,357 Posts

I posted the same thing in one of the "Mastro to 2nd" threads. Teams don't move a player off a middle infield position, particularly in A ball, unless they're forced to do so.

Turning ground balls into outs is much harder than turning fly balls into outs. Much, much harder. Not every player can do that. Most major league position players were SS"s at one point and had to move as they progressed out of little league, or high school, or the low minors. Major league middle infielders make it look easy (well...except Nishioka...) but its not.

In an emergency for an inning, or perhaps even a game? Yeah, adds a bit of value to Mastros role as a bench player. Everyday 2nd baseman? Seriously doubt it.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mbents View Post

These pitchers having TJ surgery wasn't the result of a mistake by the Twins' medical staff, was it? Surgery was the outcome as a last resort. I don't see a problem with being cautious and hoping that rest & rehab works. What bothers me about the medical staff - and really the Twins organization in general - is when a day-to-day injury turns into a 15-day DL stay, after the player has already been out for a week.
    The problem comes when it is not immediately obvious how long it will be before the player can perform. Every body heals slightly differently, and sometimes all you can do is trial-and-error (in the batting cage, on the field, etc) to tell when a player is ready to return.

Can you imagine the outcry on this site (and others) if the Twins regularly put players on the 15-day DL immediately, only to have them ready to play in three days and have to sit another twelve for no reason? As long as we're not chasing a playoff spot and having a short bench doesn't mean all that much, there's little cost in waiting a week - you can always backdate the DL placement up to 10 days, so the player doesn't miss any more time whether you place them on it immediately or a week later.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 819 Times in 515 Posts
    Blog Entries
    of all the things to complain about, I'm not sure the time to DL is one of them. In all, it probably costs them a couple more games than they'd like, but it's hardly a team killer. It would be a bigger deal during a penant race, but the problem with day to day injuries, is that they are just that. No one has a crystal ball that says that Span is still going to be in pain a week later. That's the nature of injuries like that. My bigger concern is constantly muffing up the big things.

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,291 Times in 522 Posts
    of all the things to complain about, I'm not sure the time to DL is one of them. In all, it probably costs them a couple more games than they'd like, but it's hardly a team killer.
    If everybody else does their job it's ok if the medical staff ****s up the small stuff.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ballÖ and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 668 Times in 377 Posts
    Too bad Mastro doesn't have what it takes, would've really helped this roster's glaring holes. Oh well.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Too bad about Mastroianni. It'd be nice if he could develop the skill set to play the position.