Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Pavano Done

[QUOTE=Brock Beauchamp;48388]
    Quote Originally Posted by chuchadoro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    So now we're mocking guys for having phobias? Really?

It's not a matter of just "bucking up" and getting through it. Phobias are real mental issues based on an irrational fear of something. Span has had countless MRIs in the past yet we've never heard of this happening so I'm not going to chalk this up to "not trying" or just "not wanting to do something". He apparently tried to calm himself down and it didn't work. I'm not going to fault the guy for that.
    As one of many who have a fear of flying--lets not mock phobias. I get on a plane every couple of years--thats all I can bear to do--always a non-stop flight (less takeoffs and landings) only to Europe, if I need to go somewhere in the states I drive. (And yes post-9/11 airport security makes it worse-I always look and am nervous to the screeners).

If Span has gone thru multiple MRIs being claustrophobic, good for him, dont get on his case when he finally couldnt do it.

Liked 3,143 Times in 1,344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    Typically the open MRI is for those who cannot fit into a standard MRI (which I'll admit is a bit of an experience even for someone who is mildy claustrophobic). I'm trying to figure out why they just didn't let him use the open...
    It was on the DL.

Somebody had to say it.
    Actually it wasnt on the DL. It had a vague but "mild" electrical malfunction, and the maintenance staff was convinced that a few days of rest and rehab would let the problem solve itself, saving the time and cost of having expensive electricians come in to diagnose and fix the problem.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DAM DC Twins Fans View Post
    As one of many who have a fear of flying--lets not mock phobias. I get on a plane every couple of years--thats all I can bear to do--always a non-stop flight (less takeoffs and landings) only to Europe, if I need to go somewhere in the states I drive. (And yes post-9/11 airport security makes it worse-I always look and am nervous to the screeners).

If Span has gone thru multiple MRIs being claustrophobic, good for him, dont get on his case when he finally couldnt do it.
    I have a near-crippling fear of heights. I get dizzy, lose my balance, and a host of other things that scare the hell out of me. Do I know this is not a rational response? Absolutely. Does that change anything? Absolutely not. I've done over 180MPH on a motorcycle, raced cars at over 150MPH. Didn't scare me a lick.

But put me on a three story roof and I lose my freakin' mind. Explain that to me.

Liked 2,277 Times in 1,281 Posts
    Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=DAM DC Twins Fans;48404]

It's not a matter of just "bucking up" and getting through it. Phobias are real mental issues based on an irrational fear of something. Span has had countless MRIs in the past yet we've never heard of this happening so I'm not going to chalk this up to "not trying" or just "not wanting to do something". He apparently tried to calm himself down and it didn't work. I'm not going to fault the guy for that.

I agree... People are People... I can't stand the sound of styrofoam being rubbed together. It literally brings me to my knees. Don't know if there is an official phobia for it but I have it. Sometimes I have to leave the room at X-mas time. If Span has an affliction of sorts. It's easy to think of him as a human being and respect that.

My problem with flying is that I always end up sitting next to a guy who is 500 pounds and he spills over to my seat. It's uncanny how often that happens so I also prefer to drive.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFChief View Post
    Actually it wasnt on the DL. It had a vague but "mild" electrical malfunction, and the maintenance staff was convinced that a few days of rest and rehab would let the problem solve itself, saving the time and cost of having expensive electricians come in to diagnose and fix the problem.
    Or maybe the MRI machine had electrophobia.

Senior Member Double-A chuchadoro's Avatar
    Liked 28 Times in 17 Posts
    What if Plouffe wakes up tomorrow and has a newly manifested aerophobia? I guess we should pat him on the back and say "It's ok, big guy. You can just play the home games.".
    Anyone want to tackle this hypothetical?

Just to get this straight: Rational fears affecting performance (i.e. running into walls, beanballs, getting "Swish-ioka-ed") are unacceptable. Irrational fears (MRIs, planes, heights, clowns) are part of the fallibility of humans and exempt from criticism.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 383 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Correct me if I'm wrong but, I don't believe phobias suddenly afflict people. And so, anyone with aerophobia would not waste his time pursuing a MLB career.

Quote Originally Posted by Willihammer View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but, I don't believe phobias suddenly afflict people. And so, anyone with aerophobia would not waste his time pursuing a MLB career.
    Maybe I could have phrased it like "Plouffe's aerophobia became uncontrollable" but now we're nitpicking. Royce White's aerophobia has been well documented and he's still "wasting his time" pursuing an NBA career.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Blog Entries
    Maybe I could have phrased it like "Plouffe's aerophobia became uncontrollable" but now we're nitpicking. Royce White's aerophobia has been well documented and he's still "wasting his time" pursuing an NBA career.
    Simple, if a guy has a phobia of flying, you pay him less money based on performance and ability to play. You also try to find medication and/or therapy to relieve the situation. I still don't see why you publicly rip the guy for having that phobia. What good is that going to do? Are you going to shame the guy into getting over his irrational fears? You realize how a phobia and mental illness in general works, right?

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts
    Not trying to be rude, but you need to go look up the condition and how it manifests itself. This hypothetical is absurd if you know the Royce White story you'd know that his anxiety doesn't prevent him from flying, it only makes him really weak and exhausted when the flight is over from the increased stress. He's found ways of managing it to the point where it doesn't have a great affect on him. A team would know this before signing a player where the job description includes frequent air travel. So again, if Plouffe had the condition, and was now playing MLB ball, it would be because he's got it under control for the most. Part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9TaK9fCI2U -- Royce White on his anxiety

Tangential.

Steeler's safety Ryan Clark has sickle cell trait (not full blown anemia) and cannot play in Denver. After playing in Denver a couple years ago he was hospitalized for days recovering. He's still a Steeler.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...le-647933/?p=1
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Just to get this straight: Rational fears affecting performance (i.e. running into walls, beanballs, getting "Swish-ioka-ed") are unacceptable. Irrational fears (MRIs, planes, heights, clowns) are part of the fallibility of humans and exempt from criticism.
    Your "rational" fears are a part of the game. If you could not master them, you could not play this game. The "irrational" fears are not typically part of the game. The ones that indirectly impact your ability to be a MLB player (ie flying) would be addressed far before you made it to the majors.

It sounds to me like Span was ready to battle his demons (he had drugs on hand), but for whatever reason it did not work. Why mock and ridicule Span for this?

Argue about the Twins unwillingness to put a player on the DL, not about Span's personal issue.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Ratio View Post
    Not trying to be rude, but you need to go look up the condition and how it manifests itself. This hypothetical is absurd if you know the Royce White story you'd know that his anxiety doesn't prevent him from flying, it only makes him really weak and exhausted when the flight is over from the increased stress. He's found ways of managing it to the point where it doesn't have a great affect on him. A team would know this before signing a player where the job description includes frequent air travel. So again, if Plouffe had the condition, and was now playing MLB ball, it would be because he's got it under control for the most. Part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9TaK9fCI2U -- Royce White on his anxiety

Tangential.

Steeler's safety Ryan Clark has sickle cell trait (not full blown anemia) and cannot play in Denver. After playing in Denver a couple years ago he was hospitalized for days recovering. He's still a Steeler.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...le-647933/?p=1
    Grienke, Hamilton, these examples are all over the place. How many stories have we read about athletes with diabetes?

Grienke, Hamilton, these examples are all over the place. How many stories have we read about athletes with diabetes?[/QUOTE]

I'm not a psychologist but the difference with Grienke and Hamilton (IMO) is their disorder can consume their entire lives while Span's acute disorder requires him to endure a noisy box for 45 minutes.

Senior Member All-Star Willihammer's Avatar
    Liked 383 Times in 213 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I don't understand it either. Then again, I don't understand hoarding or the sudden allergies to gluten but plenty of people seem to struggle with that too. Anytime you have entire swaths of the population who suffer identical afflictions, you have to accept it as a bona fide thing /thread

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345