Thread: Bollinger: Twins set to recall Liam Hendriks

Liked 202 Times in 106 Posts
    Blog Entries

Bollinger: Twins set to recall Liam Hendriks

Twins beat writer for mlb.com Rhett Bollinger just tweeted, "#MNTwins are set to recall Liam Hendriks from Triple-A Rochester. He'll start tomorrow against the A's."

Certainly no surprise. It will be fun to see what adjustments he makes over the next 6 weeks.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't care if he pitches worse then Blackburn the rest of the season, atleast the Twins can find out what they have in the guy.

Liked 315 Times in 187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    In his recent interview with John Sickels, Hendriks admitted a couple of interesting things about his stint with the Twins' to begin the season: he tried to finesse too much (in so many words) and abandoned what made him successful (getting after hitters) and he changed his delivery mechanics many times and returned to the original back in Rochester.

It will be a good chance to show what he can do. I hope they get Vasquez up there as well in September. Still 2 spots open on the 40-man. Here is an interesting fact about Vasquez: Last time he was a full-time starter was in 2007 (he was a swingman the next season in PCL) with Mobile in the Southern League. His numbers there were pretty good. Actually very similar to his composite numbers this season in Interantional League. I think that he is one of these guys that will be a MiLB free agent next season and he is out of options so the Twins need to figure out what they have in him as well...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 328 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Add another reason to reason to watch the last 6 weeks. Hope the secret adjustments with Cuellar have helped Hendy get over the hump. Add Vasquez and Hernandez as SP options when the Red Wings season ends.

So much for the Twins "coddle the farm teams in pennant races" mantra.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was hoping the Twins would leave Hendriks in Rochester until that season ended. If DeVires survies tonight they could start Swarzak tomorrow. Hendriks needs to get the message that this may be his last chance. Maybe Rochester now has too many starting pitchers. That is the only way this makes sense

Twins Daily Writer All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    Hope the secret adjustments with Cuellar have helped Hendy get over the hump.
    Let's call him Liam... or Hendriks. Hendy just doesn't sound right.

The King In The North All-Star Nick Nelson's Avatar
    Liked 65 Times in 24 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    Hendriks needs to get the message that this may be his last chance.
    I don't know why they would send that message and I doubt he would buy it. He's 23 and he's one of the only pitching prospects in their system with legitimate potential.

Senior Member MVP
    Liked 328 Times in 218 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Nygaard View Post
    I was just trying to pre-empt Gardenhire's name-mangling usage if/when Hendriks pitches a good game.

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was hoping the Twins would leave Hendriks in Rochester until that season ended. If DeVires survies tonight they could start Swarzak tomorrow. Hendriks needs to get the message that this may be his last chance. Maybe Rochester now has too many starting pitchers. That is the only way this makes sense

I completely disagree. We have watched many prospects struggle with the transition from the minors to majors. With how long it takes to prepare someone for the bigs you would be doing everyone a disservice by not giving multiple chances to succeed. Especially in this case as pitching is an incredible weakness for the Twins and we have plenty of low pressure games remaining on the schedule. I agree with getting Vasquez and Hernandez up as well. Rotation of Diamond, Deduno, Devries, Vasquez, Hernandez, and Walters (when he returns). If a 5 man rotation is desired lets split Devries and Diamond starts. We should be looking to ease his innings anyway. Slama needs to be up soon. When is Gray getting DFA'd?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 127 Times in 90 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Has De Vries' work this year earned more than a shot to make the team next year? I don't think so. I don't think it would be wrong to put him in the bullpen come September.

Member Single-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was just trying to pre-empt Gardenhire's name-mangling usage if/when Hendriks pitches a good game.
    Hendricksie? I know how much he likes that

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    His last chance? He's barely had a chance yet. A 23 yo that has had a 2 ERA the whole year in AAA, and you want it to be his last chance? I don't understand this.

Super Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 595 Times in 322 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post
    His last chance? He's barely had a chance yet. A 23 yo that has had a 2 ERA the whole year in AAA, and you want it to be his last chance? I don't understand this.

That's because it makes absolutely no sense.

Super Moderator All-Star
    Liked 309 Times in 184 Posts
    Blog Entries
    yes, because Hendricks intentionally dogging it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
    Hendricksie? I know how much he likes that
    Dricksie, Hendrizzle, Li Li, Dricks, Dricks the Kid.......

Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
    Trixi or Dixi for Hendriks. I like Dixi.
    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
    My vote is Jimi.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer 70charger's Avatar
    Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinsnorth49 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Badsmerf View Post

That's because it makes absolutely no sense.
    Guys, guys, guys. The Twins have awesome pitchers coming out of their butthole. Let's absolutely cut a guy tearing up AAA at 23.