Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Article: Working Out In Minnesota: Why This Year Was Different

Article: Working Out In Minnesota: Why This Year Was Different

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Growing up in MN, did you ever play ball in the Town Team Leagues? I know the weather isn't the greatest here for playing ball year round, but the highly organized and competitive MBA (Minnesota Baseball Association) is by far the largest amateur baseball association in the U.S., with over 300 teams, and 3 classes, so baseball is definitely huge here!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    Growing up in MN, did you ever play ball in the Town Team Leagues? I know the weather isn't the greatest here for playing ball year round, but the highly organized and competitive MBA (Minnesota Baseball Association) is by far the largest amateur baseball association in the U.S., with over 300 teams, and 3 classes, so baseball is definitely huge here!
    I never played in the league myself, but have been to a number of Minnetonka Millers games before. It is a remarkable organization, I have friends who play for teams throughout the state. There are a number of ex college and pro players that are on teams as well.

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AJPettersen View Post
    I never played in the league myself, but have been to a number of Minnetonka Millers games before. It is a remarkable organization, I have friends who play for teams throughout the state. There are a number of ex college and pro players that are on teams as well.
    That's awesome that you've watched the Millers play, I know they are always one of the top Class A teams. I still (*try to) play, but after tearing up my knee running down a fly ball in the outfield, it's much tougher q We've got several ex-college player's in our league, even have had a few former Minor Leaguer's come through and some guys that played before they were drafted. I absolutely love it, so I won't be stopping anytime soon!
    Scouting Report: Tools - Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)
    Spring Training Regular since 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post
    That's awesome that you've watched the Millers play, I know they are always one of the top Class A teams. I still (*try to) play, but after tearing up my knee running down a fly ball in the outfield, it's much tougher q We've got several ex-college player's in our league, even have had a few former Minor Leaguer's come through and some guys that played before they were drafted. I absolutely love it, so I won't be stopping anytime soon!
    The Millers play about a mile from my house, Minnetonka has a very tight knit baseball community. That is what I love about the amateur baseball in Minnesota. It brings people together. If you took a drive through any part of the state, you would see a field in every city. I have seen cities with barely enough people to have a team, but they have a baseball field.

Good for you that you are still playing, even with the injury. I'm glad baseball is alive and well in our state.

Twitter
    @HangingSL
    Blog Entries
    I love it for the same reasons as you. My team actually has our annual fundraising "Beer Bust" this weekend, where pretty much the whole town will show up. It's always a blast.