Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Twins outright Blackburn, Nishioka

Speediest Moderator All-Star snepp's Avatar
    Liked 1,238 Times in 492 Posts
    If I didn't know better I'd think that today was my birthday.
    "Maybe you could go grab a bat and ball… and learn something. Maybe you will get it."
    - Strib commenter educating the elitists on the value of RBI's

Twins News Team MVP
    Liked 813 Times in 518 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt VS View Post
    I think it would be a smart idea to call up Vasquez to take his spot in the rotation. Why not give the guy you haven't seen yet this year a couple starts before Sep. 1st? Let Walters go another rehab start and Hendricks continue to work at a level where he's gaining confidence. What difference would it make to see Hendricks or Walters for 1-2 additional starts when we have a pretty good idea what they offer at the MLB level?

Now I'm waiting for the Gray/Slama flip...
    When asked about AAA RP options for call-up on Sunday, Rantz was spoke loudly in his silence, concerning Slama. Caleb Thielbar was the guy he went out of his way to heap praise upon, he has made a metoriic rise through the org. and it's not beyond the realm of possibility that he gets the flip, instead.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    It's about time, Gray should be next, a few wins can't hold him much longer.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    When asked about AAA RP options for call-up on Sunday, Rantz was spoke loudly in his silence, concerning Slama. Caleb Thielbar was the guy he went out of his way to heap praise upon, he has made a metoriic rise through the org. and it's not beyond the realm of possibility that he gets the flip, instead.
    I'd have no problem with Thielbar getting called up. The question Rantz was asked was about which players have surprised in how well they've played this year, and he started with Thielbar.

Twitter
    @crarko
    Liked 750 Times in 394 Posts
    I'll just say they both had their chances to succeed, and didn't get it done. And yes, Gray should probably be next.

Looking at Vasquez makes sense, although I think it's a good bet Hendriks makes next year's opening rotation.

As an aside, I really like what Florimon has done with his chance so far. Pretty much the exact opposite of Nishioka.

Twins News Team All-Star PseudoSABR's Avatar
    Liked 182 Times in 105 Posts
    One would think that Nishi will want to go back to Japan next year, rather than waste away in the minors. So the Twins will probably save that money.

Shame on the Twins for letting this guy get his tits lit up for 4 months. He should have been protected better by this orginization. The wheels seem to come off a bit more every day for the Twins. Hopefully they wont let another decade go by to worry about winning again.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    TR was on ESPN in the 6:00 PM hour. This was all discussed, but he did not disclose if someone was coming up. He commented that he wanted the spots if he needed them, and would not deny that more moves are coming. Pitching was a concern, but TR did not feel that hitting was all that solid either.

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Torse View Post
    Shame on the Twins for letting this guy get his tits lit up for 4 months. He should have been protected better by this orginization. The wheels seem to come off a bit more every day for the Twins. Hopefully they wont let another decade go by to worry about winning again.
    Are you saying that it's the Twins fault that Blackburn pitched so poorly?

Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 432 Times in 262 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sbknudson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Torse View Post
    Are you saying that it's the Twins fault that Blackburn pitched so poorly?
    Actually, I too think think that it is the Twins' fault that let Blackburn pitch so poorly with them. That extension was so ill advised back then when he projected as a 5th starter at best.
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Double-A BrentMpls's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PseudoSABR View Post
    One would think that Nishi will want to go back to Japan next year, rather than waste away in the minors. So the Twins will probably save that money.
    Why would he not want to play in the minors? Millions of dollars are nice.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,180 Times in 627 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    I've been pushing to DFA Blackburn for over a year, and finally, it's happened. I thought I'd be happier.
    No worries, I'm probably happy enough for the both of us!!

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seth Stohs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jokin View Post
    I'd have no problem with Thielbar getting called up. The question Rantz was asked was about which players have surprised in how well they've played this year, and he started with Thielbar.
    He did start with Thielbar. But he also reviewed some of the performances at AAA and Slama's name was curious by its absence, given the Twins ML pitching woes.

Twins News Team MVP
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beckmt View Post
    TR was on ESPN in the 6:00 PM hour. This was all discussed, but he did not disclose if someone was coming up. He commented that he wanted the spots if he needed them, and would not deny that more moves are coming. Pitching was a concern, but TR did not feel that hitting was all that solid either.
    See TR... and all you guys that say it's so disruptive to tinker and adjust names with the 40-man, more moves better be coming. By my count, this is now 12 40-man roster moves in-season. And just now, we're finally getting to the 500-lb impotent gorillas, but there's still much more heavy lifting to do to get rid of the bulk of the remaining dead weight.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    And apparently DPJ isn't even here anymore to enjoy this.

Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is a classic example of addition by subtraction.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 120 Times in 78 Posts
    At last this nightmare is over (hopefully).

It seems to me that this is the end since they waited almost until rosters expand to do this so I have to think the Twins are setting up to part ways this winter.

Twins Contributor All-Star Jeremy Nygaard's Avatar
    Twitter
    @jeremynygaard
    Liked 117 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The simple fact that Nishi was outrighted is curious. Why not do it when he was taken off of the 25-man? Similar with Blackburn... why not option him unless you need that spot immediately? My first thought was that Walters must be close to re-joining the big club and that's why the 40-man spot was needed. But it doesn't look like he's close enough.

Vazquez started tonight, so it doesn't look like he'll be the one. Hendriks could be the guy... but am I alone in thinking he'd be better off pitching in a AAA pennant race rather than a few August/September games that don't matter? The Rock Cats are in the same boat. It's been a while since both AAA and AA have been in this situation.

I'm ok with the Twins thinning their 40-man in preparation for the September call-ups... but let those guys play for something and call them up when their season is done... someone's going to come up to take Blackburn's place... but I hope it's not someone that will leave the Red Wings short as they close the gap in the standings.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The extension was emblematic of the organization's stupidity with Gardenhire at the helm. Nishi should just head back home. It's sad, but, for dignity's sake he should just go. If only he was Jim Eisenrich and it was a medical/psychological situation. But, it's not. I haven't played a game of hardball in a decade and am 40 lbs. overweight and I know I could play better than him. It's just a mystery how he ever got signed.

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 53 Times in 34 Posts
    If an astute fan can see the difference in Blackburn's delivery when he was somewhat successful and when he is not, l it would be more than reasonable to think the coaches have also. It is quite possible Blackburn's demotion rests squarely on him not accepting coaching.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast