Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: PICK 'EM: NL Award Winners

  1. #1
    Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Posts
    578
    Like
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    430

    Question PICK 'EM: NL Award Winners

    There is a little over a month left in the season so, who would you pick for each of the major awards in the National League?

    MVP:
    Cy Young:
    Rookie of the Year:
    Manager of the Year:

    Pick away and let the debate begin.
    Last edited by Cody Christie; 08-20-2012 at 08:41 AM.

  2. #2
    Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Posts
    578
    Like
    0
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    430
    MVP: Andrew McCutchen
    Cy Young: Johnny Cueto
    Rookie of the Year: Todd Frazier
    Manager of the Year: Davey Johnson

  3. #3
    Banned Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    636
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    MVP: McCutchen
    Cy Young: Cueto
    ROY: Harper
    Comeback: Posey (Can't really think of anyone else)
    MOY: Hurdle

  4. #4
    MVP: McCutchen
    Cy Young: Dickey
    Rookie of the Year: Miley
    Manager of the Year: Hurdle

  5. #5
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Posts
    960
    Like
    43
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    MVP: McCutchen
    CY: Kimbrel/Aroldis Chapman pick 'em
    ROY: Miley (basically he and Frazier way ahead of anyone else)
    MOY: Davey Johnson
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

  6. #6
    Banned Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    636
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    CY: Kimbrel/Aroldis Chapman pick 'em
    ROY: Miley (basically he and Frazier way ahead of anyone else)
    How in the hell can you argue that two guys who have throw a combined 105 innings are more valuable then starters who are gonna throw 200+ innings?

    Frazier WAR-2.1
    Harper WAR-2.0

    Way ahead?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Posts
    960
    Like
    43
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    CY: Kimbrel/Aroldis Chapman pick 'em
    ROY: Miley (basically he and Frazier way ahead of anyone else)
    How in the hell can you argue that two guys who have throw a combined 105 innings are more valuable then starters who are gonna throw 200+ innings?

    Frazier WAR-2.1
    Harper WAR-2.0

    Way ahead?
    In the absence of a dominant starter, I'll go with one of the two relievers posting historic numbers.

    Harper's WAR is drastically influenced by large variances in defensive metrics as is Frazier's. I'll take the value of playing multiple positions and nearly doubling the offensive value (per Fangraphs) of Harper in Frazier's favor.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

  8. #8
    Banned Big-Leaguer
    Posts
    636
    Like
    0
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    In the absence of a dominant starter, I'll go with one of the two relievers posting historic numbers.

    Harper's WAR is drastically influenced by large variances in defensive metrics as is Frazier's. I'll take the value of playing multiple positions and nearly doubling the offensive value (per Fangraphs) of Harper in Frazier's favor.
    So you acknowledge advanced stats for Harper and Frazier, but you truly believe two guys who pitch over 100 innings less the starters are somehow more valuable?

  9. #9
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Posts
    960
    Like
    43
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DPJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post
    In the absence of a dominant starter, I'll go with one of the two relievers posting historic numbers.

    Harper's WAR is drastically influenced by large variances in defensive metrics as is Frazier's. I'll take the value of playing multiple positions and nearly doubling the offensive value (per Fangraphs) of Harper in Frazier's favor.
    So you acknowledge advanced stats for Harper and Frazier, but you truly believe two guys who pitch over 100 innings less the starters are somehow more valuable?
    Yes, because the same metrics that err and create overvaluation for Harper's defense overvalue mediocre innings pitched. I'm not saying that I'd ever vote for a good closer over a good starter, but when two closers are both having historic seasons and no NL starter has even been dominant, there's a good case to be made.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

  10. #10
    Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Posts
    488
    Like
    15
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    MVP: McCutchen
    Cy Young: Cueto
    Rookie of the Year: Frazier
    Manager of the Year: Davey Johnson
    Comeback: Beltran

  11. #11
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer biggentleben's Avatar
    Posts
    960
    Like
    43
    Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by B Richard View Post
    MVP: McCutchen
    Cy Young: Cueto
    Rookie of the Year: Frazier
    Manager of the Year: Davey Johnson
    Comeback: Beltran
    Um, Beltran had a better season in 2011 than he is in 2012.
    Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

  12. #12
    Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Posts
    488
    Like
    15
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post

    Um, Beltran had a better season in 2011 than he is in 2012.

    ...no. I'll just leave this here http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...eltrca01.shtml

  13. #13
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,136
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,604 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by B Richard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by biggentleben View Post

    Um, Beltran had a better season in 2011 than he is in 2012.

    ...no. I'll just leave this here http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...eltrca01.shtml
    Looks to me like he was better last season.

  14. #14
    Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Posts
    658
    Like
    7
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    22
    MVP: McCutchen
    Cy Young: Dickey fo shizzle; compared to Cueto, has kept hitters to a lower average, has a lower WHIP, has more K's, given up fewer hits, has comparable numbers in walks allowed, has thrown 4 CG's to Cueto's 2, has 2 Shutouts, has been more efficient in pitches thrown even as he has more IP than Cueto, has a lower OBP against, has almost a 2 pt advantage in K/9 innings (9.29-7.16), gives up almost a hit fewer than Cueto in 9 innings, and has almost a point advantage in K's v BB's.
    ROY: Either Miley or Frazier (not that Harper wouldn't have been my choice if he had kept up his numbers from when he started)
    MOY: Davey Johnson or Clint Hurdle
    Comeback: David Wright, Buster Posey, Dickey, or Wainwright

  15. #15
    Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Posts
    488
    Like
    15
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Looks to me like he was better last season.
    Yeah, you're right. Far be it from me to suggest that an All-Star and current league leader in RBIs is having a worse year than last, during which he only played in 44 games. Maybe the Twins would be better off running out star players once every 4 games. I guess Buster Posey had a better year last year too.

    Extrapolate his stats- how was he better last year? I'll take a guy who bats around .280 and produces prolific runs all year over a guy who plays 1/4 of the year. He came back from injury and has contributed greatly to his team's success. QED

  16. #16
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,136
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,604 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by B Richard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Looks to me like he was better last season.
    Yeah, you're right. Far be it from me to suggest that an All-Star and current league leader in RBIs is having a worse year than last, during which he only played in 44 games. Maybe the Twins would be better off running out star players once every 4 games. I guess Buster Posey had a better year last year too.

    Extrapolate his stats- how was he better last year? I'll take a guy who bats around .280 and produces prolific runs all year over a guy who plays 1/4 of the year. He came back from injury and has contributed greatly to his team's success. QED
    Carlos Beltran played in 142 games last season and posted an OPS+ of 154, a career high.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Triple-A B Richard's Avatar
    Posts
    488
    Like
    15
    Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by B Richard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Beauchamp View Post
    Looks to me like he was better last season.
    Yeah, you're right. Far be it from me to suggest that an All-Star and current league leader in RBIs is having a worse year than last, during which he only played in 44 games. Maybe the Twins would be better off running out star players once every 4 games. I guess Buster Posey had a better year last year too.

    Extrapolate his stats- how was he better last year? I'll take a guy who bats around .280 and produces prolific runs all year over a guy who plays 1/4 of the year. He came back from injury and has contributed greatly to his team's success. QED
    Carlos Beltran played in 142 games last season and posted an OPS+ of 154, a career high.
    Ah, my apologies- I misread his BR page and interpreted his time with the Giants as his entire year- forgive my stupidity while I go run some laps outside. For some reason I had it in my head he missed significant time last year with injury

  18. #18
    Owner MVP Brock Beauchamp's Avatar
    Posts
    8,136
    Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Like
    49
    Liked 1,604 Times in 832 Posts
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by B Richard View Post
    Ah, my apologies- I misread his BR page and interpreted his time with the Giants as his entire year- forgive my stupidity while I go run some laps outside. For some reason I had it in my head he missed significant time last year with injury
    No worries. He missed significant time in both 2009 and 2010. Many had written him off after those seasons.

  19. #19
    Senior Member All-Star Ultima Ratio's Avatar
    Posts
    1,743
    Like
    58
    Liked 105 Times in 51 Posts

    MVP: Andrew McCutchen
    Cy Young: R. A Dickey
    Rookie of the Year: Todd Frazier
    Manager of the Year: Clint Hurdle

    Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
©2014 TwinsCentric, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Interested in advertising with Twins Daily? Click here.