Thread: Here we are the the 3/4 mark

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

Here we are the the 3/4 mark

120 down, 42 to go.

50 wins, 70 losses.

Worst in the AL.

3 games worse than last year's team at this point.

Already more losses than the 2010 squad.

Depressing times in Twins Territory. We haven't even hit opening day of the State Fair, and I'm starting to turn my attention to the T-Wolves. (The Wild, sadly, will be locked out, and I don't really want to think about the Vikings.)

The 2011 Twins went 10-32 over their final 42. Hopefully we'll see something a lot better than that this year. But perhaps, perversely, it would be better if we didn't. I can't imagine 2 consecutive seasons of sucking that badly in the last 2 months wouldn't result in some pretty significant moves, even for an organization as change-resistant as this one.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 656 Times in 369 Posts
    Two players and we contend in 2013. Or so I hear.

On the plus side, some nice young talent coming soon.

Twitter
    @rocketpig76
    Liked 1,581 Times in 822 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Since the All-Star break, the Twins have been 7th in OPS and 24th in ERA. If anything, they're playing better than they were earlier, the breaks just aren't going their way.

I'm looking forward to seeing some young guys in September. That's about all we have to look forward to at this point. Finishing last in the AL or third-to-last in the AL isn't going to matter much, as the NL has several completely awful teams that are probably going to snatch up the top three picks no matter what the Twins do from here on out.

Damn the NL and their suckiness.

Senior Member All-Star YourHouseIsMyHouse's Avatar
    Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Blog Entries
    They may as well just tank now.

Arcia may be the only 'young' guy we get to see....team is making no hints about Hicks/Hermann etc due to 40 man spots available (what a crock) & some argue that Arcia shouldnt/wont get called up...which is assinine.
    Cant see them finishing with as bad a record as last yr but with the pitching staff hitching its hopes to Blackburn/Deduno(gonna catch up with him....Gardy says so also) & saying they will not allow Diamond to get much past 200 total innings...it could get scary.

Twins News Team All-Star TheLeviathan's Avatar
    Liked 656 Times in 369 Posts
    I will continue to hope to see Hicks and Arcia until they (probably) let me down.

I'm still rooting feverishly for the Twins on a day-to-day basis; that will never change. But it sure does seem like the more they lose the rest of the year, the sooner they'll make significant changes to becoming better. I suppose worst-case scenario the team goes on a 20-game winning streak and instills some hope and the core remains in tact.

Arcia/Hicks/Parmellee should all be up & mostly they would take ABs away from Ryan Doumit as a possible DH as well as resting one guy per nite (Mauer/Justin/3 OF's).
    They DONT have to play, but should be up to get the AA guys feet wet at the very least.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer J-Dog Dungan's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Totally agree with you GGR's; if we are going to call those guys up from AA, then they get PA that other players don't need. The outfield will become a total rotation with Span, Revere, Willingham, Mastroianni, and whomever they call up.

Liked 714 Times in 378 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There is also the reward for continuing to tank -- higher draft picks next year.

Liked 1,265 Times in 732 Posts
    Mr. one_eyed_jack, time for you to get excited about the Lynx.

Hey, at least the women know how to win.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
    Keeping Jeff Gray on this roster proves all they care about is having bodies on the field. DFA his ass and give someone else some experience in the majors. It really can't get any worse.

Twins Moderator All-Star twinsnorth49's Avatar
    Liked 1,266 Times in 677 Posts
    I'm just looking forward to hopefully seeing some upcoming talent. If Jeff Gray and Blackie are still playing is September I'll be pretty disappointed, they've already contributed enough to the suckitude. It's hard to imagine it being worse than last years end run and the results since June indicate it won't be close to that, although this recent stretch is testing that theory.

Senior Member Big-Leaguer
    Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No way are we going to catch the Astro's or probably Colorado. The Cubs are playing better and may be able to pass us. Still anywhere in the top 4 should be good as far as getting more talent into this orgainization. That being said, pitching is the hardest talent to predict and the twins greatest need. They may have hit some players in this years draft (Berros among some). They still need to put some significant money into pitching this winter. Poland will have to spend money to make money or the Twins will be back to a small market team in a mid market area until lighting strikes again and a group of very good players come up at the same time.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've been telling people that the Twins are more watchable this year than last....but this past week I've changed my mind about that. Last year people were blaming Mauer and Morneau....this year the pitching staff....somebody needs to sort out this mess.

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looking at this gives me hope for next year and beyond. http://www.twinsdaily.com/content.ph...roster-payroll Pavano and Capps and Baker's salary will all be gone. That's $20MM. taking at least of a fraction of that and spending it on a solid reliable pitcher would help this team greatly.