Thread: PJ Walters

PJ Walters

Not like he's important, just curious on thoughts about his rehab (but Id take Eric Hurley over Blackburn right now)
    Rehab started
    July 1st 4IP 5h 3er 2k 2bb 70 pitches in first action
    July 6th 5IP 5H 0er 2k 73 pitches
    Shoulder problems after this start, but it appeared by the pitch count that they were ramping him up to get back into the roatation
    Rehabbed another month
    Aug 4th 2IP 0h 0er 0k 0bb 18 pitches
    Aug 9th 0.2IP 4h 2er 1k 1bb 33pitches...admitted it was his pitch limit not performance on why he left
    Aug 14th 2.1IP 2h 0er 3k 1bb 41 pitches
    Today 3IP 3h 0er 6k 2bb 59 pitches
    I realize he's rehabbing after a 2nd shutdown but.....
    After 4 starts, they havent gotten back to the point they were on the first rehab.....do you think they are just goin slow with a pitcher that isnt in the teams futures (out of options), or they dont plan on bringin him back in Sept (dont have to DFA someone then...gives them time at least).

Curious also why every other pitcher rehabs some in Ft Myers but not Walters (either time)

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    I think they are going to use the full rehab time they can. Being he hasn't pitched much this year it is also like spring training and they add the innings and pitches. I would think given the lack of arms they would not totally give up on him. Probably added back to the major league level once rosters expand.

Twins Daily Writer Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    They don't need to be in a rush with him. Let him work his way back slowly and then they can see how he looks in September.

PJ still not looking good
    Tonight 66pitches 3IP 10h 7er 3k 1bb
    One may two more starts before Sept 1......could be up sooner w/Diamonds suspension

PJ Walters pitched his final AAA gm tonight (still technically a rehab)....how long is a guy allowed on a rehab, thought it was 20 days(first Aug game was the 4th)??...looked, pitchers get 30 days.
    5IP 93pitched 5h 4er 5k 2bb

6 rehab starts
    16IP 24h 13er 7.31era 18k 7bb

Is he even worth re-activating as he has to take a 40 man spot better spent on a true prospect
    Last edited by greengoblinrulz; 08-30-2012 at 07:52 PM.

Senior Member Double-A
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greengoblinrulz View Post
    PJ Walters pitched his final AAA gm tonight (still technically a rehab)....how long is a guy allowed on a rehab, thought it was 20 days(first Aug game was the 4th)??...looked, pitchers get 30 days.
    5IP 93pitched 5h 4er 5k 2bb

6 rehab starts
    16IP 24h 13er 7.31era 18k 7bb

Is he even worth re-activating as he has to take a 40 man spot better spent on a true prospect
    I was never really high on him, but from listening to the reports, his stuff just isn't there.

walters will be back, twins need pitching to much to just let someone walk, especially after showing well in his initial call up. as far as stuff wise , walters is a #4 or 5 guy, with better stuff than some might think.. i believe & the opinion of others in the baseball business think walters has a better chance at sticking in the rotation than hendricks, devries or deduno, if he hadnt got injured he would still be in the rotation..just my observation..

Quote Originally Posted by 3up3down View Post
    walters will be back, twins need pitching to much to just let someone walk, especially after showing well in his initial call up. as far as stuff wise , walters is a #4 or 5 guy, with better stuff than some might think.. i believe & the opinion of others in the baseball business think walters has a better chance at sticking in the rotation than hendricks, devries or deduno, if he hadnt got injured he would still be in the rotation..just my observation..
    Maybe the others, but he is not higher rated/thought of than Hendriks. Problem with PJ, Deduno, DeVries is that this should be the ROC rotation next year, but MN wont be able to send Walters/Deduno back down

Senior Member All-Star IdahoPilgrim's Avatar
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Walters has been reactivated from the 60-day DL and added back to the 40-man roster.

It's sounding like he and Vazquez will pitch Sunday and Monday (not sure of the order)

hendricks is not rated as high outside the organization as people on here think...pure stuff wise hendricks & devries are at the bottom of this list, the one thing hendricks has going for him above the others is his age & that aint gonna help him get big league hitters out consistently....i am not saying walters & deduno make the rotation next year , i could see them both being taken off the roster & resign to minor league deals, go to spring compete for a 4 or 5 spot & go to rochester if they dont make the team... its really not a big deal to send them down either, if they are pitching good they dont get sent down ,if they are pitching bad & get designated then no one is going to claim them anyway so they go back to rochester..

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3up3down View Post
    hendricks is not rated as high outside the organization as people on here think...pure stuff wise hendricks & devries are at the bottom of this list, the one thing hendricks has going for him above the others is his age & that aint gonna help him get big league hitters out consistently...
    Hendriks was a top 10 prospect in the Twins organization according to MLB.com, BA and Fangraphs. He has pitched very well in the minors. You're probably right that the Twins value Hendriks higher than others, he is a control pitcher after all, but Hendriks is still well thought of outside the org. Mark Hulet from Fangraphs for instance thinks he will end up a 3 or 4 starter. If you have information that disagrees with these sources I think many of us would be interested in reading them.

While interesting to know what those outside the organization think of a player what really matters is what those inside the organization think. The Twins love control pitchers. That tells me Hendriks, assuming he can get over his MLB-phobia, has a better chance of sticking in the rotation then any of the pitchers you mentioned.