Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keith Law will be in Beloit tomorrow

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries

Keith Law will be in Beloit tomorrow

I just read his chat trascript from today. His very last comment was...

If anyone is going to be in Beloit tomorrow night, I'd love to meet you as I pop in to see Sano and Rosario (and some other guys). Thanks for all the questions.
    So sometime tomorrow night or more likely Saturday morning he should have an insider post written about what he watched.

Senior Member All-Star Badsmerf's Avatar
    Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Keith Law Loves Sano part 1?

Kevin Goldstein was in Beloiit earlier this week to watch Soler and Sano, he was going to write a Baseball Prospectus article on Kennys Vargas, did anyone happen to read that? I'm an insider but don't have B.P.

Liked 323 Times in 193 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, I suspect that Vargas might steal the show for Law as well...
    -----
    Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
    http://tenthinningstretch.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @thrylos98

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Could this be the start of Law liking the Twins? Miguel, Eddie and Kennys....it is in your hands. Go nuts tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by SRP View Post
    Could this be the start of Law liking the Twins? Miguel, Eddie and Kennys....it is in your hands. Go nuts tonight.
    Do you think part of him "not liking" the Twins may have had a little to do with the fact that for the last 5+ years their farm system has been atrocious? He is very high on Sano, Buxton, Rosario and never gave up on Hicks

Twins Daily Writer Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries
    On the Baseball Today podcast yesterday, he said that he was most looking forward to seeing Sano and Rosario. He did mention that there were some other lower level prospects that he was going there to see as well.

Senior Member Triple-A Steve Lein's Avatar
    Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quips from Kevin Goldstein on his Beloit trip:

Kenny Vargas: "Despite the 1158 OPS, he merely falls into the mildly interesting pile, but is worth keeping an eye on." Also mentions how he demonstrated his skill set in the game he watched: Massive power was shown on HR to CF, good approach by taking a walk, and difficulty with breaking balls by striking out twice. Also mentions he is 22 yrs old playing in Low-A...

Miguel Sano: Apparently every time KG has watched him, he's hit a HR, but also says "there's simply no way he stays at third base". Interesting note he brings up, is with his 24 HR's, he has 50% more home runs than anyone else in the league (2nd player on leaderboard has only 16).

He also had some nice notes about Mason Melotakis: "left-handed power reliever [] touched 95 with a promising [] slider"; and Matt Tomshaw: "it wouldn't shock me to see Tomshaw continue to find success with an outside shot at making it as a reliever."

One other note on a Twins 2012 draftee from another BP article, on J.O. Berrios: "the few pro scouts that have seen Berrios think the Twins may have really found something here."
    Follow me on Twitter: @HangingSL
    Spring Training Regular since 2010.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Quote Originally Posted by alarp33 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SRP View Post
    Do you think part of him "not liking" the Twins may have had a little to do with the fact that for the last 5+ years their farm system has been atrocious? He is very high on Sano, Buxton, Rosario and never gave up on Hicks
    You are probably on the nose...unfortunately. It will be nice to hear his comments after having been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post

Kenny Vargas: "Despite the 1158 OPS, he merely falls into the mildly interesting pile, but is worth keeping an eye on." Also mentions how he demonstrated his skill set in the game he watched: Massive power was shown on HR to CF, good approach by taking a walk, and difficulty with breaking balls by striking out twice. Also mentions he is 22 yrs old playing in Low-A...

Miguel Sano: Apparently every time KG has watched him, he's hit a HR, but also says "there's simply no way he stays at third base". Interesting note he brings up, is with his 24 HR's, he has 50% more home runs than anyone else in the league (2nd player on leaderboard has only 16).

He also had some nice notes about Mason Melotakis: "left-handed power reliever [] touched 95 with a promising [] slider"; and Matt Tomshaw: "it wouldn't shock me to see Tomshaw continue to find success with an outside shot at making it as a reliever."

One other note on a Twins 2012 draftee from another BP article, on J.O. Berrios: "the few pro scouts that have seen Berrios think the Twins may have really found something here."
    Thanks for posting. Its good to see that note on Berrios; in the Klaw chat yesterday he made a couple comments about Berrios not having a real high ceiling, and his stats so far this year being due to the fact that he's advanced for his age... but without the high ceiling.

Senior Member Triple-A
    Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
    Law's point on Berrios is that his stuff is already good, so it's not surprising he would do well at the low levels. So even though he doesn't have as much 'projection' as many young pitching prospects, that doesn't mean he has a low ceiling. The main concern there is whether he can handle a starting workload.

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Law will be in Beloit because the UA game is in Chicago tomorrow.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Senior Member All-Star
    Liked 64 Times in 42 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alarp33 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lein View Post

Thanks for posting. Its good to see that note on Berrios; in the Klaw chat yesterday he made a couple comments about Berrios not having a real high ceiling, and his stats so far this year being due to the fact that he's advanced for his age... but without the high ceiling.
    Berrios is physically pretty well developed, unlike a 6'4" 180 20 year old, Berrios isn't going to grow much more, so there isn't a lot of room for projection left. That doesn't (necessarily) mean he has a low ceiling. Most scouts think his ceiling would be a #3 - plus plus fastball to go with a (hopefully) plus slider and avg change up. Scouts liked his makeup and competitiveness. If he can't develop a third pitch, he goes to the pen. He should be a relatively fast riser through the system. I'm stupidly optimistic on the Twins teaching him to throw a change up. After that, it's just stay healthy.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sano hit one out to CF. Law should be wetting himself over that.
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Senior Member Triple-A jtrinaldi's Avatar
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    Sano hit one out to CF. Law should be wetting himself over that.
    Keith said that he was there to see Sano/Rosario/Vargas and Melotakis and Jones who both did not pitch.
    Follow my photography, group page can be found here.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rinald...56164664420932

Senior Member Triple-A
    Hey all....What did he say?

Senior Member Big-Leaguer righty8383's Avatar
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Surprisingly, He hasn't submitted anything yet. I don't know if/when he plans to.

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/...-potential-mlb

I'll post the article if one of the admins says it's ok.

Senior Member All-Star Jim Crikket's Avatar
    Liked 122 Times in 61 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Since Law's column is "Insider Only" it's probably not OK to post it here. Suffice to say, while he was impressed with Sano's swing and overall offensive potential, he's not a fan of Sano with a glove. The money quote, imo, is this: "Sano's biggest drawback is his obvious disdain for the defensive side of the game."

It appears that Law only stuck around Beloit for the Friday night game, which is unfortunate. Hard to give much credibility to any opinion based on one game/
    I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at Knuckleballsblog.com while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

Banned Big-Leaguer
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Crikket View Post
    It appears that Law only stuck around Beloit for the Friday night game, which is unfortunate. Hard to give much credibility to any opinion based on one game/
    He does say that "although the sample here is just three plate appearances" I've read enough of this man that he'd be cold dead in the ground before he based an opinion off 1 game. He's simply reporting what he saw that day, NTM the reports from other scouts and publications that say the same thing about his defense and I don't think he's making some wild opinion off one game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast