Minnesota Twins News & Rumors Forum

Thread: Call up Esmerling Vasquez

Liked 701 Times in 368 Posts
    Blog Entries

Call up Esmerling Vasquez

Vasquez pitched 7 innings for Rochester tonight, gave up 4 hits and no runs. He also struck out 10.

Here is a link to Vasquez's stats.

Why not let Duensing skip a start and bring up Vasquez to see what he can do? And if Vasquez does not do well, then why not give Hendriks another chance?

Please ban me! All-Star stringer bell's Avatar
    Liked 510 Times in 333 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Duensing can be a decent middle of the rotation starter. I agree with JoeC's column written before his last start. I do think the Twins should recall Vasquez (along with Hendriks) and see what they have. I don't know his exact contract status, but he may well be a free agent if he isn't on the major league roster. Vasquez has been effective at Rochester--give him a shot.

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 756 Times in 470 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think he's on teh 40 man, so him being a FA is moot. He's going to be in the mix next season.

Edit: I think I confused him with the guy the Twins got for Liriano... If that is the case, I have no idea if he's on the 40 man.

Twins Contributor Big-Leaguer Cody Christie's Avatar
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    I think he's on teh 40 man, so him being a FA is moot. He's going to be in the mix next season.

Edit: I think I confused him with the guy the Twins got for Liriano... If that is the case, I have no idea if he's on the 40 man.
    He's not on the 40-man roster at this point. Here's the link to the list of players on the 40-man.

It seems like the Twins should be giving any pitcher with a pulse a chance to prove himself in the next couple weeks so I am all for other players getting the opportunity to start.

Let's see what they can do.

On Vacation All-Star
    Twitter
    @thrylos98
    Liked 433 Times in 263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Vasquez is an interesting situation: He was a full time starter last in 2007 in AA Southern League in Mobile where he did really well as a 23 year old. Next season he move to the PCL as a spot starter and spend the next 3 afterward full time in the Diamondbacks' pen. So unlike Deduno and Perdomo, he is a 3 year major leaguer with no options left. This season is the first season he started since 2008. And he just started 6 games. He might be better as a starter than as a reliever. I had a chance to watch him play up here (Lehigh Valley) May or April (funny enough Deduno started that game and Vasquez relieved in for 3 innings or so). He has better control than Deduno and he fires BBs but pretty straight BBs. Maybe when he starts his FB is a 91-93 instead of 94-96 and has more movement. Happens with some pitchers some times. He does deserve a chance, just because the Twins do not have many options for 2013. They got to see what they got. I can see him start and put Duensing in the pen full time.

Twitter
    @sethtweets
    Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The thing about Vasquez is that he has the ability to miss bats. How it would translate to the big leagues, I'm not sure. in three years with the Diamondbacks, he was never able to find that control. But maybe something clicked with him.

He's been pretty incredible for a guy they just claimed the last day of last season and got through waivers just before spring training (I believe to make room for Mastroianni).

Twins Moderator All-Star diehardtwinsfan's Avatar
    Liked 756 Times in 470 Posts
    Blog Entries
    the twins should be trying out any pitcher that has the ability tomiss bats...

if we called up Vasquez, what is Jeff Gray gonna do?? THINK people.

Twitter
    @twinsgeek
    Liked 158 Times in 94 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I gotta say, it seems like a no-brainer to me to promote him and sit Duensing or Blackburn. I could say the same with Hendriks. I think De Vries deserves a bit more rope and Deduno has earned the right to keep doing it his way until it doesn't work. Ryan has talked a lot about accountability this season and has demonstrated it often. This seems like another opportunity to prove he means it.

Member Rookie
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

Missing bats

Quote Originally Posted by diehardtwinsfan View Post
    the twins should be trying out any pitcher that has the ability tomiss bats...
    Lets keep in mind, there is another guy down in the minors who has had huge strikeout numbers for several years in a row. He is a closer... someone help me out here....

Kidding! Slama time!

I agree with Bonnes, would rather watch Liam and Esmerling, but I am guessing (barring injury) that nothing happens until Rochester's season is over.